• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker WC Plate on Brahma?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah. We'll see. I know that wider skis are better for deep powder or super badly chopped piste, but they aren't as good on firm piste as narrower skis like Brahma. So I took a middle course I guess. But I heared from many ppl that the Brahma does very well in crud / chopped piste, so I don't know...
Hi again. Sorry. My experiment with a 1 cm higher binding platform on the Brahma and other skis was overlapping with your own, it seemed. The Brahma, in particular, did gain leverage and authority with the binding that much higher, even in bumps on edge, and in 2-3 inches of new. There was a bit of a trade-off, though: to me it also seemed to lose something from its easy dialed in carve on the same terrain - hard to say. But probably still a plus for such a set-up on the Brahma, for me. A race plate or VIST plate might indeed work better, don't know.

The Brahma friends I was referring to certainly would agree with you. But I wouldn't rely just on my own experience with this, to make it at least worthwhile mentioning it: Blistergear has a Brahma review, and rating comparison table, of more stable all mountain skis that includes the Brahma. They give awards, "best of," to the Brahma for both on piste carving and bumps/off piste. So no slouch, worth experimenting with! But they also rate it near the bottom for powder, and lack of soft snow orientation, which was my experience, what I was just trying to put in perspective. I almost bought the ski, so I liked it a lot. Just for a bit different terrain & conditions. Since it's so good an all around ski, your whole experiment makes sense to me, seems worth it.

I wasn't just meaning wider skis as options that rail on groomers and crud/chop (i.e., M5 with a groomer bias to me equal to the Brahma, also a Blistergear "best of" at groomers and all around - a ski that liked a higher platform; and Bonafide, dialed in for both groomers and soft snow days, but didn't seem to like a higher platform). There are also possibly narrower skis that already give a narrower skis' extra precision/control that you are looking for, and do about as well in light chop, maybe worth exploring at some point. (Examples: K2 IKonic 84 ti; Stockli Laser AX 78 at least; Volkl Deacon Pro (has a plate) and non-Pro 73, 74, 76, 80; also probably others). These might or might not all respond well to a race plate, or a higher all mountain binding platform. In my experience, the Laser AX does. And the Deacon 73/74 does.

Reactions: DVL

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
But I heared from many ppl that the Brahma does very well in crud / chopped piste, so I don't know...

The Brahmas aren’t bad in the crud but I prefer my Bonafides in the crud. But I prefer the Brahmas in the trees.

TS
DVL

DVL

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Brahmas aren’t bad in the crud but I prefer my Bonafides in the crud. But I prefer the Brahmas in the trees.
I'm not sure what ppl mean by "crud" - when I watch some YT videos,it's very often off-piste in a relatively deep snow and medium to big bumbs, which isn't the thing I want the Brahmas for - I barely find my self on a piste in such a bad condition like that...

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I'm not sure what ppl mean by "crud" - when I watch some YT videos,it's very often off-piste in a relatively deep snow and medium to big bumbs, which isn't the thing I want the Brahmas for - I barely find my self on a piste in such a bad condition like that...

I use crud the term loosely as it varies between east & west. I think of it as the tracked out powder than becomes unpredictable. In the east it could be the 5-6” of powder on top hardpack and depending on the turn it could be fluffy or ice/hard-pack (ie unpredictable).

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
So the skis finally arrived from the shop (new, wrapped up) ... and the base (hoping thats the right word) is slightly cut up. I simply always have to have something special (80 % of all times I buy some ski, its damaged in a way... no matter if they are completely new, or used :-( ). But in the ski service they told me it should be alright after they do the basic service on it...

Attachments

• 8E521D9D-1F21-4288-B80A-221CCA948AA8.jpeg
    8E521D9D-1F21-4288-B80A-221CCA948AA8.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 9ECC8E1F-6733-4725-981F-1CF25A1D8717.jpeg
    9ECC8E1F-6733-4725-981F-1CF25A1D8717.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
So the skis finally arrived from the shop (new, wrapped up) ... and the base (hoping thats the right word) is slightly cut up. I simply always have to have something special (80 % of all times I buy some ski, its damaged in a way... no matter if they are completely new, or used :-( ). But in the ski service they told me it should be alright after they do the basic service on it...

Did you get these on discount? Those base marks are kinda odd.

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Did you get these on discount? Those base marks are kinda odd.
No. Full price... Indeed it is odd. But in the ski service they told me not to bother about it because the cuts aren't really deep. So they told me not to go for a complaint / claim for replacement. So I hope they aren't wrong...

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Done!

Attachments

• 45C29A92-C036-4DFD-B760-6CBF93D486E5.jpeg
    45C29A92-C036-4DFD-B760-6CBF93D486E5.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 733D4883-CB90-4B10-800C-C5EA95C78A7E.jpeg
    733D4883-CB90-4B10-800C-C5EA95C78A7E.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 61
  • C5A17F45-A91A-4512-A328-6C1F9367BC88.jpeg
    C5A17F45-A91A-4512-A328-6C1F9367BC88.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 61

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Doug, I prefer plates for a couple of reasons

1 they tend to smooth out the ski/dampen vibrations
2 they give me an opportunity to play about with the mount point (on my Monster 88s there were so many differing opinions on mount point i definitely wanted this, hence also the X19 VAR that lets me easily play with position on snow.

Whether all this is my imagination or not I have been doing it for several years and not had any regrets about it

@ScotsSkier

A bit old, but how do you get wider brakes for the X var bindings? I am interested in using the xvar flat mounted on a wide ski(120mm brake for this) to play with the mounting point + they are lower stack height and the x12var is actually the same binding as the x16var just lower DIN. So a very sturdy one.

Also from another thread, will the axial2 brakes work with the spx15? I think they do, but just needs a confirmation.

Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online