• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker WC Plate on Brahma?

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you decide to go with VIST, get the speedlock pro super light plates (16 mm thickness, no added stiffness) and V412 or V614 speedlock bindings. This is what a VIST dealer recommended to me when I was also toying with the idea of putting plates on wider skis a few years ago.

Thanks for the feedback, all of you!

So I decided I will go for a 2 piece plate that has minimum influence on flex...

What do you think about the Vist WC Air (Vist WCA) - could that be it? Only to gain a lift and dampen vibrations ...

Are there any other similar or even better race plates with a stiff connection with the bingings, yet corresponding the same "don't change the natural flex of the ski" philosophy?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any RDX plate available for sale so far... but maybe that Vist could be even better for those purposes?

Last edited:
Reactions: DVL
TS
DVL

DVL

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If you decide to go with VIST, get the speedlock pro super light plates (16 mm thickness, no added stiffness) and V412 or V614 speedlock bindings. This is what a VIST dealer recommended to me when I was also toying with the idea of putting plates on wider skis a few years ago.

So it's possible to put 95mm (or so) breakes into V614?

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
"The Speedlock range of bindings come with a brake width of your choice (72mm, 92mm, 115mm or 155mm)."

So it's possible to put 95mm (or so) breakes into V614?

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier

I assume the plate isn't compatible with V614 Kneissl. Is it?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I suppose; it's kinda hard to tell when to stop using one and start using the other. Everyone calls the RDX 'plates'. :huh: But, yeah. :daffy:

Yes, the RDX is a plate v. a lifter. The RDX plate can actually move relative to the ski - each plate is semi floating at one end whereas a lifter is solidly mounted with no "float". Even with the piston plate there is one element of float at the front although the piston does damp this. Also if you look at the latest R22 Rossi plate and the recent atomic slalom plate they look very similar and similar to the piston plate minus the piston. In fact next years Rossi race binding does not have the front/rear connector as it is no longer necessary on the one piece plate. Similarly the Atomic X19 MOD is separate heel/toe without the connector and without the VAR

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just gunna throw this out there, but it seems the ski set up is taking precedent over the shoe. Want more performance across the board in a high volume boot? Why an Atomic Hawx Magna when a Tecnica Mach 1 130 HV is on the market? IMHO, the Mach 130 HV is the only true higher performance high volume boot out there short of doing hours of work on a race boot to accommodate a fat foot. If the OP can make a Mach 1 HV work, it'd do way more for his skiing on all of his skis than a plate. It's also much easier to cant, sort out alignment issues, and modify volume if needed.

FWIW, I know three people driving a monster 88 with plates/lifters. All are skiing either a Raptor 140, B3, or R3. I'm guessing Muleski and Scotskier are in similar high performance boots. Just my 2 cents from the cheap seats.

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier

Is the Speedlock system of the same "connection" firmness as the regular screw system? I mean the firmness of the connection between the bindings and the plate, and between the plate and the skis.

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yes, firmer than most if not all the current demo/system bindings.

Is the Speedlock system of the same "connection" firmness as the regular screw system? I mean the firmness of the connection between the bindings and the plate, and between the plate and the skis.

There are 2 versions of those VIST bindings: “free” for direct mount, and “SL” for speedlock system. There are conversion kit you can buy to convert one version to the other.

I assume the plate isn't compatible with V614 Kneissl. Is it?

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Why an Atomic Hawx Magna

There are 2 versions of those VIST bindings: “free” for direct mount, and “SL” for speedlock system. There are conversion kit you can buy to convert one version to the other.

Isn't the WC Air plate better because of the regular screws?

Does the WC Air plate change the flex and behavior of the ski any more than the Speedlock Pro Super Light?

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Also one guy suggested to me the Vist TT plate... is the Pro Super Light still the best (out of the three) for me?

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
NVM about the difference between the TT and the Super light. Just found the answer... They both should add no stiffness. So its just between the the Super Light and the World Cup Air - but I heard the WCA probably adds some stiffness cuz of the aluminium.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Side question - Is there a Marker spacer to gain extra lift (maybe 3-4mm) under a Griffon binding?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Side question - Is there a Marker spacer to gain extra lift (maybe 3-4mm) under a Griffon binding?
No. The IIRC, older Griffon/Royal bindings are higher than the newer ones. I personally want to be as low on a wider ski (90mm+) as I can.

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier

Ok, thanks. Last question: What about the possible weight/power distribution changes caused by the SpeedLock? I wasn't able to find any specific info on the SpeedLock, only on the WC Air, that says it distributes the power gradually along the whole ski. Does that mean it could change the natural power distribution of the ski? My logic says it should not, if it says "along the entire ski", but ... does that mean "equally" at the same time?

TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Ok, thanks. Last question: What about the possible weight/power distribution changes caused by the SpeedLock? I wasn't able to find any specific info on the SpeedLock, only on the WC Air, that says it distributes the power gradually along the whole ski. Does that mean it could change the natural power distribution of the ski? My logic says it should not, if it says "along the entire ski", but ... does that mean "equally" at the same time?
NVM, found it: "It promotes a uniform distribution of the foces exerted by the skier onto the ski and allows for a vast range of applications."

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Neat experiment with skiing. And a neat set of options you've moved towards. Thanks.

It seems like you are pretty far along in your process, so this may be for future reference at best.

Too much detail in the info I'd like to give you. To start with,

The Brahma is one of the few truly all mountain skis that have really top groomer charge ability also. But the Brahma's versatility, from what I've read and experienced, is with off piste bumps and other uneven, mostly - not so much with all mountain on powder/crud days. (Man, it sinks pretty bad, comparatively.)

I know good skiers who use the Brahma on such days well, many better than I would at this point because I'm older; but I notice that on the Brahmas they tend to avoid "rope drops" and areas of deeper chop/crud when those unexpectedly arise. (Coincidentally, I watched such a Brahma friend a few weeks ago eventually stick to areas that had been groomed in the past few days and were thus 4-5", not as deep and heavily chopped up, while I took off into areas that were unexpectedly 8-10" fresh and chopped up both. And he got tired faster.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How a ski will respond to the binding being elevated with a plate or with just a higher binding (two I know of), in my experience, depends on the ski - and skier. For me, it's been hard to predict with some top all mountain skis (Kendo, Brahma, Bonafide, M5 Mantra). And I'll bet it also will vary depending on the skier - his or her style, weight and height, conditions, terrain, etc. For me the 19/20 Kendo and the 18/19 Brahma stayed about the same (when set up) 10 mm higher (maybe the Brahma was a smidge better, not sure). The 18/19 Bonafide got just slightly worse (small bit of tip flap not there with a lower binding - as maybe predicted in an earlier post on hinge points by @cantunamunch, I believe); with little discernible gain in behavior from leverage. The Volkl M5 18/19, however, got much better (in pretty much exactly the ways the OP was hoping for): enough to make the whole experiment a success, in my case. I bought the M5 and used the higher binding.

You get noticeably greater leverage and authority with some all mountain skis on either a Look/Rossi Dual SPX 12 WTR demo binding, height 33.5 mm, Delta flat; or the Tyrolia Attack2 13 AT Demo, height 30 mm toe, 32 mm heel, +2 Delta height. These are both at least 10 mm higher than normal fixed or demo bindings, about the same height as with a plate. And they are relatively cheap. (Warning: there are also Demo versions of both bindings that are about 10 mm lower.)

Last edited:
TS
DVL

DVL

Skier
Neat experiment with skiing. And a neat set of options you've moved towards. Thanks.

It seems like you are pretty far along in your process, so this may be for future reference at best.

Too much detail in the info I'd like to give you. To start with,

The Brahma is one of the few truly all mountain skis that have really top groomer charge ability also. But the Brahma's versatility, from what I've read and experienced, is with off piste bumps and other uneven, mostly - not so much with all mountain on powder/crud days. (Man, it sinks pretty bad, comparatively.)

I know good skiers who use the Brahma on such days well, many better than I would at this point because I'm older; but I notice that on the Brahmas they tend to avoid "rope drops" and areas of deeper chop/crud when those unexpectedly arise. (Coincidentally, I watched such a Brahma friend a few weeks ago eventually stick to areas that had been groomed in the past few days and were thus 4-5", not as deep and heavily chopped up, while I took off into areas that were unexpectedly 8-10" fresh and chopped up both. And he got tired faster.)

Yeah. We'll see. I know that wider skis are better for deep powder or super badly chopped piste, but they aren't as good on firm piste as narrower skis like Brahma. So I took a middle course I guess. But I heared from many ppl that the Brahma does very well in crud / chopped piste, so I don't know...

Sponsor

Staff online