• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker F10 Tour binding?

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I'm in the market for some new AT bindings and am leaning toward the Marker F10 Tours.

1) I don't tour that much (2-3 days a year, which is sad -- ideally I'd do around 10, but I think I will always do more resort skiing than touring)
2) I'm not getting new boots. My feet are lumpy and getting new boots is always a pain -- I just don't have the energy or money to get new boots to go with tech bindings right now, so dynafit & friends are out.
3) The F10s seem to be the lightest AT bindings that work with alpine boots.

Does anyone have other suggestions given the 3 points above? Has anyone skied the F10s and can let me know what they think? I have Barons on my current setup, which I like, aside from the fact that they weigh a million pounds (roughly). Having to get out of the binding to switch from uphill to downhill mode doesn't bug me.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like the lower weight...but for how little you will tour, I wonder if the F10 will hold up to a lot of resort ski in comparison to the Barons. I am not sure on that.

I have only been on Barons, Dukes and Guardians-both being heavy as bricks-and ended up going with Guardians.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I like the lower weight...but for how little you will tour, I wonder if the F10 will hold up to a lot of resort ski in comparison to the Barons. I am not sure on that.

I have only been on Barons, Dukes and Guardians-both being heavy as bricks-and ended up going with Guardians.

Oh, interesting, I think Spooky got a different impression than I did. @RachelV - when you said you don't expect to tour that much - are you saying these bindings are going to be used in-bounds a lot, or just that they won't get as much use as you'd like? I was assuming the latter, because you just got new skis and they already have downhill bindings mounted.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, I think I over assumed that Rachel would ski them inbounds when not touring.

TS
RachelV

RachelV

Ski Diva Tester
Yes, I think I over assumed that Rachel would ski them inbounds when not touring.

Ah, I see why what I wrote came across that way, but yeah -- I have a resort setup with alpine bindings, and the F10s will go on some backup skis I have and become a dedicated touring setup.

I did notice that the internet had some concerns about really charging downhill on them, but I won't be doing that. Maybe the review I read from the particularly disgruntled guy is from the first year's version (Thanks, @epic).

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
A 200+ pound friend of ours uses the F12 inbounds on his 191cm Bentchetlers. He hasn't been able to break them in two seasons, despite trying real hard.

The only caveat is that the F12 has the wider mount holes (EPF), but I'll bet folding money that the forces you would subject the F10 to are well within what it can handle.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
I have last year's F-12 and ski them mostly in-bounds with back country Saturday afternoons. I have them on some Rossignol E88 and have no problems with them at all. So far...

I also have a year older pair on some older skis that I've used for back country in the past. I never had problems with those, either. For reference, I'm male, 5'11", 190 lbs. and ski them fairly aggressively. No experience with the first year models so can't comment on those. The ones I have, though, are worthy.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

I know our local rep tours in an F12. I think he area skis with them as well a fair amount. I think for a lighter skier, the F10 should hold up fine. Honestly, even for three days, I'd mount the F10 on an old or steeply discounted ski and keep using my 'good' ski with a standard DIN alpine binding rather than ski the Duke, Baron, etc... for an everyday ride. I just think they effect the flex of the ski much too much.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ah, I see why what I wrote came across that way, but yeah -- I have a resort setup with alpine bindings, and the F10s will go on some backup skis I have and become a dedicated touring setup.

I did notice that the internet had some concerns about really charging downhill on them, but I won't be doing that. Maybe the review I read from the particularly disgruntled guy is from the first year's version (Thanks, @epic).

You'll be fine with the F10. Upgrade to the 12 if you're worried about it at all.

TS
RachelV

RachelV

Ski Diva Tester
Yeah, my DIN is 6ish. Gonna pull the trigger on the F10 shortly, thanks all!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What DIN do you ski at? If you're 6 or less, the 10 should be fine.

what if you're 6.5? Asking for ... well, for me.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
what if you're 6.5? Asking for ... well, for me.

I think that works, too. My rule of thumb is to use bindings set at about 2/3 of their stated max. With me, I run at 8.5 with a 12 DIN binding; always have with no problems. If you're 6.5, you're at 65% of the stated max so, I would believe, should be good to go.

With that, let me put in my disclaimer that I am no binding expert. I'm an engineer by background and am only using my skiing experience and rationale to reach my opinion.