• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

marker Comp bindings springs

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Talking with one of my race buddies today and he was complaining about springs on Marker Comp 16s going soft. He has a few pairs on some of his son's (U16) skis and he had been having problems with early release and when he tried them they seemed to take significantly different pressures to open them at the same DIN setting. I know he has set the forward pressure up properly so that is not the issue. He reckons it is the springs have gone "soft". Now I have not come across this issue before with marker (I have had springs corrode and break in Look 99RS) and have not had the chance to put these on my torque tester to get some definitive data but was wondering if anyone had actually come across this issue (as opposed to the urban legends about Markers). I normally always use Marker Comp 20s which have always been pretty bombproof so not had much exposure to the 16s

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
16's are pretty bomber. I would get them tested as if they were an 8 DIN, back into the number with the BSL to make sure they are torquing correctly.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, that has been my experience Phil. Will be interesting to see how they test out

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will be at Rose the next two days for demo...will you be around?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I posted this in the thread where I have some 20.0's for sale. My now adult, retired racers both spent a TON of time on Marker's. Both of their ski companies were aligned with Marker, so many a box was shipped to them. Their ski techs, BOTH, urges them to have every pair of the bindings bench tested, torque tested, as soon as they were mounted. Same BSL, same shims and angles, same exact specs....as controlled a situation as possible.

Back in those days, about 4-10 years ago, about 3=4 of every 20 toe pieces had problems. In those case, probably one just didn't release to one side the right way at all. On the others, significant torque variance left and right. And then there was the problem where the scale on the binding wasn't right. My son had that issue with a few, and he just had to keep a log of hr fact that the bindings on ski "A" both read about 2 "heavy" , like it was set at 16, tested more like 14. Now keep in mind, we're talking about dozens, and dozens of pairs. Never had a pre-release on the bindings.

The other thing that was made real clear to them, me, their age group coaches, and their ski academy techs and equipment coach, was that the height on the toe lug, after it was cut down when the sole lifters were installed was critical. A single mm off, and you'd have issues. If it wasn't level, same thing.

So, the net result of that is that you MUST have a clear sole as well, at least under the toes, when you click in. That was always an issue with Dobermann boots, with the red lifters that had the ridges on them. They would tend to ice up and hold "snow". So, taking the extra time to clear them off.....money. My kids took some horrific crashes in big-kid DH's and SG's....as well as tech events. The skis always released.....knock on wood. And knock on wood, 18+ years of racing for each before they moved on, and no lower body injuries.

I'd test them all, and be prepared to send the ones that are screwy back. I don't need to tell you guys about forward pressure. Mich want to check the toe lugs. They're a good binding. My daughter had a younger teammate who moved onto them in college, and spent most of her first three days on them "throwing many a shoe". MY daughter suggested that she might clean off the boot soles better....rather than just banging them against the toe piece. Then she suggested that their assistant coach should check the forward pressure. Between those two....all fixed.

When my daughter went to a very string NCAA program in college, her coaches were pretty clueless on this subject. Her first year, she had six pairs of bindings arrive, and I suggested that she have a guy we know test them. She gave me the "Dad, you are SO anal", and agreed to do it. Four of the 12 toes were not right. OK......I also suggested that she have the same guy do her boots.....Not her coaches. "Dad, they have all of the stuff, they do it all." Agreed with me, had no problems. Other kids had some issues. Same exact set-up adjusted and done by others.

Just saying....it makes a difference. But you guys know that, I'm sure.

Have good days at Rose. PP, thanks for all of the ski testing work. Great stuff.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks MS. I wasn't aware of the issue with the toe lug. Touch wood, I have not had issues with the 20s. Unfortunately my buddy has thrown out the ones he had problems with so i cant test them. However it was the heel rather than the toe that was the issue. He reckoned he ciukd feel the lesser tension when closing them on beth bench with a boot in place

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Wow, that's interesting. I don't recall ever hearing about problems with a heel. Now, full disclosure, I don't think we ever had a pair of 16.0's in the house. All 20.0's and 30.0's. Don't know if that had something to do with it. Yes learned about the toe lug sensitivity along the way. I think you recall a conversation of ours when I mentioned that our daughter had a tech for her PG group who had come right from the WC. He was a big fan of her Volkl/Marker.....and Lange....setup, but she told me the first thing he dis with her boots was get the calipers out to measure and check the toe lugs.
Maybe the 16.0's do have an occasional spring issue. Wish I had some insight there......

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, it is strange. Most of the issues I have seen have been with the toe pre-releasing because of the incorrect forward pressure. I have also seen several issues with beth 16s where the pressure just backs off over time so you need to keep an eye on it. This is a new one on me though so unfortunate I cant check it further. IIRC the heel is exactly the same as the 20, just some differences in the toe. Is the toe height issue where the lug is too high, preloading the toe? I dont have lifters on my boots, just running standard sole