• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have had a great offer on a pair of slightly used 2016 Blizzard WRC with the WC piston plate. Ski only (for € 200 - a steal).

Three questions (not having too much experience with plates or with having to find a seperate binding for that type of ski):

1. Is the plate only compatible with Marker bindings? And only the specific race series (Race 10 and the Xcell series)?

2. There are pre-drilled holes in the plate. But there is the possibility in the binding to accomodate for any boot sole length, right? (just checking)

3. If I woud like to re-sell the ski and binding, is it easy to re-mount the binding for hugely different boot sole lengths? Or is that not recommended?

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had a great offer on a pair of slightly used 2016 Blizzard WRC with the WC piston plate. Ski only (for € 200 - a steal).

Three questions (not having too much experience with plates or with having to find a seperate binding for that type of ski):

1. Is the plate only compatible with Marker bindings? And only the specific race series (Race 10 and the Xcell series)?

2. There are pre-drilled holes in the plate. But there is the possibility in the binding to accomodate for any boot sole length, right? (just checking)

3. If I woud like to re-sell the ski and binding, is it easy to re-mount the binding for hugely different boot sole lengths? Or is that not recommended?

Thanks.

1. Yes. Yes.
2. Yes, but minimal, you have to take off the toe/heel for more than a 10mm BSL difference
3. Yes and that is what it is designed to do.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, the pre drilled plate makes things VERY easy and easy to play around with mount position.
Sadly a few OEMs (Head and Fischer come to mind) no longer use the pre-drilled plates (opting for flat plates) making it a bigger pain. They cite performance improvements, but I know it's certainly not enough to effect my times or my daughters times either....

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Cheizz, the WRC is a very good ski! At that price, snap'em up, mount, and don't look back... On second thought, no need to look back... No one will catch you anyway. ogsmile

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Haha. Bought them already. Shopping for bindings now. Think I'll go for the Xcell 16... The green of the bindings don't matchbwith the blue and orange of the ski, but hey... no one will have time to notice....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haha. Bought them already. Shopping for bindings now. Think I'll go for the Xcell 16... The green of the bindings don't matchbwith the blue and orange of the ski, but hey... no one will have time to notice....
Double check the age of the plate, the X-Cell bindings do not work on the old plates.

Old plate:
2012_Marker_Plate.jpg

New Plate:

s-l300.jpg

Note the extra 6 holes in the front. The Xcell is a 4 screw toe and the old Bio toe is 3 screws. the new plate fits both generations, the old plate, just the older Bio toe.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I think it's the 2016 ski and plate, and I'm looking at the 2017 binding.... But I won't buy a binding untill I will actually ask the shop tech to mount it. So it should work out, I guess. Thanks for the heads-up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it's the 2016 ski and plate, and I'm looking at the 2017 binding.... But I won't buy a binding untill I will actually ask the shop tech to mount it. So it should work out, I guess. Thanks for the heads-up.
Just wanted to give you a heads up. The old bindings are near non existant and tough to find. I didn't want to see you get stuck with a ski that has no binding options.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think Ski Essentials has XCell 16s that will color match your skis.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Found the Xcell 16's for € 114. No colour match, but hey, who cares?

Just remember to subtract 1 from your DIN setting if the bindings don't match, but then add 1 just because you don't care. ogsmile

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Double check the age of the plate, the X-Cell bindings do not work on the old plates.

Old plate:
2012_Marker_Plate.jpg

New Plate:

s-l300.jpg

Note the extra 6 holes in the front. The Xcell is a 4 screw toe and the old Bio toe is 3 screws. the new plate fits both generations, the old plate, just the older Bio toe.

Sorry to necrobump this thread, but @Philpug, will the new 2020 Xcomp bindings fit on the "new plate" above that fit the Xcell 16?

And IF there is an even newer plate out for the Xcomp, will the Xcell 16 bindings fit on the newer plate?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to necrobump this thread, but @Philpug, will the new 2020 Xcomp bindings fit on the "new plate" above that fit the Xcell 16?

And IF there is an even newer plate out for the Xcomp, will the Xcell 16 bindings fit on the newer plate?
Yup, the new binding goes back to the old three hole toe pattern.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
An other one for you, @Philpug ...

The 2020 Blizzard Firebird HRC comes with the Marker Xcell 12 Demo binding. Is that binding GripWalk compatible? In the Merker Catalog, I found the Xcell 12.0 and the Xcell 12 Gripwalk. Do you know which one is de demo version? I think/hope it's the GripWalk version...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm pretty 98.99999% sure they're GW compatible.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An other one for you, @Philpug ...

The 2020 Blizzard Firebird HRC comes with the Marker Xcell 12 Demo binding. Is that binding GripWalk compatible? In the Merker Catalog, I found the Xcell 12.0 and the Xcell 12 Gripwalk. Do you know which one is de demo version? I think/hope it's the GripWalk version...
Yes, all of the system Marker bindings are GripWalk compatible.

Sponsor

Staff online