• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks @Bob Barnes! I just watched this video and marvel at different things. I've never heard of him before but wikipedia says he's good, so it has to be true. His athleticism, balance, vision and strength are some of the things that jump out at me. Sorry, I have to cut this short as I'm going to watch again. Cheers.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
That's great video. Thanks, Bob.

Training sessions, and training video is just great to watch. I can assure you that when he is in an actual World Cup set, and he is going full gas, it's not the same. Set has rhythm changes, and often is set minimum distance. In a situation like this, with training lanes, there may me much less "swing" across the hill. And he is more relaxed and less amped up in training....having had the privilege of being right there.

This video is a gem. Great. Thanks again for all of the effort, Bob. I know a few youth coaches who will love this.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a lot of little skiers staying in my house right now. They are all transfixed. Such a cool video. Thanks!!

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
This video got me thinking about technique and how I want to understand exactly what I'm doing vs. what Mr. Hischer is doing. I started viewing "The Complete Encyclopedia of Skiing" by @Bob Barnes. This lead me to starting to read a book by Ron Lemaster called "Ultimate Skiing." On page 9 there happens to be a skier named Bob Barnes. I think I'm on the right track to figuring things out.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
So much better to watch the men in training vs. race. So much smoother and rhythmic.

Race day GS can look pretty ugly out there for the men. Technically strong but just the nature of the men's equipment and sets. Women's GS is much nicer to watch and more inspirational for us amateurs.

Muleski

Inactive
I think I've thrown this out there a few times with respect to Hirscher, and his GS since the change to the 35M skis. His skis, his boots and his overall GS equipment setup has improved dramatically. There was a huge gap, pretty much acknowledged by those around the WC, at first. Most point to Ligety, and his skis. That equipment gap has closed, to the point where Hirscher's consistency and athleticism, combined with a bit more muscle mass and strength....and his being healthy...has just piled up the WC points. He is also executing on a plan to win the overall. As competitive as he is, the plan is to always be on the podium.

Just phenomenal. Always has been. How much longer will he compete?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just phenomenal. Always has been. How much longer will he compete?

Good question. He is, IMHO, the best men's skier on the circuit right now. Will be curious to see how Ligety does next season if he can stay healthy. Pinterault is also exceptional. The season Ilka Stuhec had was a lot of fun to watch. She nailed it almost every single race. Lara Gut and Mikaela will be battling it out for awhile. They are a good matchup. GS favors Gut and SL favors Mikaela but they can both win either on any given day. Great stuff. Was a good points race up to Gut's injury. Gut's performance was forcing MS into more speed races for the points. Was interesting to watch the MS camp create strategy this season around Gut.

Muleski

Inactive
It's really fun to watch somebody like Hirscher train, in a rythmic course with fairly nice flowing terrain, and a nice course set. It is beautiful. Frankly it's very similar for any WC male tech skier {and for the women}. It's SO different that actual race day since the 35M radius ski rule was passed. I am hoping that with the 30M skis, the racing will just "look better." The video that I have seen of the men training and dialing in the new skis suggested that it will be. All you hear is great stuff, with two thumbs up!

James

Out There
Instructor
Not quite Hirscher, but I've always enjoyed this video of Genevieve Simard for basic technique. 2011

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January