• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mantra M5 vs Head Kore 99 vs other...need to decide

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Both the ramp angle and stack height on the non-GW griffon/jester are higher than the Attack. Those two factors probably make the Attacks feel more surfy. Even when standing still.
BTW, I adjust my bindings with a 0.5 mm feeler gauge. Have one in each of my tuning kits.

I know many skiers expressed their frustration with the the step in difficulties with the Marker royal bindings. It is just not an issue with us. Mamie is 5'/1", #125 with a 265 bsl. She have no issues with stepping into the griffons.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mamie is 5'/1", #125 with a 265 bsl. She have no issues with stepping into the griffons.

And again, this surprises me not at all.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Update: So I settled on the Enforcer 100. The 93 seems great but does not round out the fat part of the quiver as well as the 100....As far as lengths: Enforcer 100 at 177 cm seems just right.

Next decision is bindings. Was thinking Tyrolia Attack 13 or 12; my DIN is only 8 so I don't need the burliest bindings. I've been really frustrated wth Marker Griffins as they are PITA to get in and out, and they seem kind of flat. I think I prefer some ramp angle (based on my skinnier skis) but not sure how high or angled Tyrolias are.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Good choice on the E100's. I think you will like them. I have a couple of racer friends that use them as their go-to ski here and take them in everything. Skiing with those guys I can confidently say that they must have no speed limit.

Regarding bindings, I'll be the heretic and say that I go with whatever is the deal of the day. I've got a combination in my family and don't really have a favorite. I will admit though that for me the griffons aren't the easiest to step into in powder, but not a big deal.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I have really liked my 193 cm Enforcer 100's--they are very good general purpose, all-mountain skis that work reasonably well for almost all conditions.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
So I settled on the Enforcer 100.
Congrats on the new boards. Love this thread as your preference in skis runs more toward clydesdale side yet you are fairly light at 140lbs putting the unicorn label on. (Unicorn- Lighter weight skier who prefers burly boards) Many sing the praises of the Enforcer and looking forward to see if you join the chorus. Found the Enforcer a little too pedestrian for my tastes. Only true way to demo a ski is to buy it then ski the hell out of it. Hate the idea of settling on a ski. Love skis that take my breath away. Hopefully the Enforcer will unleash some of that magic for you.

TS
Pdub

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Update: Skied my new Enforcer 100s (177 cm) last week at A Basin. I picked the wrong ski.

They were fine on groomers (though less zippy and fun than my Rallys) but not so fine on crud and 3D snow. They felt like tanks. Or planks. In old, wind treated, grabby, cut up powder bumps, they were really hard to maneuver. My buddy said I looked great but they were too much work for my 53 year old 140 pound disc-herniated frame. Right footers in the mank were painful and tough to swing. Definitely no fun. The ski drove me, and I did not drive it.

I guess I am reminded that for 3D/off piste conditions I prefer lighter, energetic, maneuverable skis. Not tanks. I made the same mistake 15 or so years ago with a burly iteration of the Mantra but back then I was young and dumb and successfully battled those planks, even enjoyed them. Not interested in that same old battle. Being a former racer and fairly aggressive skier, I sometimes gravitate towards burly stiff skis, but for soft snow this makes no sense at this stage.

Luckily I think my shop will allow a trade without too much financial pain. (Or I'll sell them here.) I think I need something smaller and lighter, say 170 cm long and low-mid 90s wide; turnier and easier to maneuver in crud, less tank-like. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but still hoping this ski will carve respectably on the groomers at decent speed (35-40). Preferably shorter radius with some energy in the tail. These will complement the Head Rally so groomer behavior is not the primary goal.

Based on the shop's selection and lots of reviews, I've made this new list:

1. Nordica Enforcer 93 @ 169 cm
2. Head Kore 93 @ 171 cm
3. Blizzard Rustler 9 @ 172 cm (currently leaning this way)
4. Would consider others but trying to stick to local selection

If anyone can relate to this story and has been on these skis, I'd love to hear about it.
Many thanks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Update: Skied my new Enforcer 100s (177 cm) last week at A Basin. I picked the wrong ski.

They were fine on groomers (though less zippy and fun than my Rallys) but not so fine on crud and 3D snow. They felt like tanks. Or planks. In old, wind treated, grabby, cut up powder bumps, they were really hard to maneuver. My buddy said I looked great but they were too much work for my 53 year old 140 pound disc-herniated frame. Right footers in the mank were painful and tough to swing. Definitely no fun. The ski drove me, and I did not drive it.

I guess I am reminded that for 3D/off piste conditions I prefer lighter, energetic, maneuverable skis. Not tanks. I made the same mistake 15 or so years ago with a burly iteration of the Mantra but back then I was young and dumb and successfully battled those planks, even enjoyed them. Not interested in that same old battle. Being a former racer and fairly aggressive skier, I sometimes gravitate towards burly stiff skis, but for soft snow this makes no sense at this stage.

Luckily I think my shop will allow a trade without too much financial pain. (Or I'll sell them here.) I think I need something smaller and lighter, say 170 cm long and low-mid 90s wide; turnier and easier to maneuver in crud, less tank-like. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but still hoping this ski will carve respectably on the groomers at decent speed (35-40). Preferably shorter radius with some energy in the tail. These will complement the Head Rally so groomer behavior is not the primary goal.

2. Head Kore 93 @ 171 cm

If anyone can relate to this story and has been on these skis, I'd love to hear about it.
Many thanks.

You picked one of if not the heaviest skis in that width range. Not surprised give your weight. Get the Kore 93, be happy. I would also consider the Elan Ripstick 96's. Not as stiff as the Kore though.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Kore 93 is my pick of the 3 listed. I like damp stable turny skis. That’s the K93 without the weight.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

2. Head Kore 93 @ 171 cm

Many thanks.

The Enforcer 93 would be the heaviest but most stable and the best in crud of the listed skis.(Still 200 grams lighter than the 177cm Enforcer 100 though). The Rustler 9 is lighter(100 grams vs E93) and more playful but a solid backbone underfoot still. Kore 93 is lighter again(100 grams vs Rustler 9) of the group but the worst in crud of the 3 but it’s very damp for it’s weight. Not as lively or as playful as the other two I find.

Before doing ANYTHING I would consider having your Enforcer 100 tune looked at as you’re describing the symptoms of an edge high ski which is very common in Enforcers/many skis from the factory it seems. Both of my Enforcers felt like heavy bricks that didn’t want to turn or swivel easily before I had them stone ground flat and edges re-tunes. My Rustler 9s were base high rather than edge high from the factory and felt very unstable and uninspiring till they were ground flat. I’ve since replaced with a longer length Enforcer 93 that’s now very easy to ski. Enjoyed the Rustlers though.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I need something smaller and lighter, say 170 cm long and low-mid 90s wide;

So, yeah. 177 can be a lot for guys our size, depending on the specific ski. Your new trio makes sense - they are all significantly shorter.

I like turny skis.

I loved the Rustler on its own terms. It spoke to me more than the Kore 93, and also definitely meets your expressed desire for turny. The Kore is a little more of an off-piste design, IMO, and will be more different from your Rally in terms of the variety of 3D conditions where it's comfortable. That might fit your niche better, even without the easy but edgy snap of the Rustler. I have not tried the E93.

I guess the point of my quote at the top of the post is, don't over-compensate for your bad experience with a ski that was too long and planky with a ski that's too much smaller and lighter. I can see you on certain skis that are in the 175cm range that would not be too much for you. It's just that the Enforcer 100 wasn't one of those skis.

TS
Pdub

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Thanks for the thoughts. Very helpful.

Just spoke to a gear savvy friend who thought the Rustler 10 would be a better contrast to the Rallys, more soft snow specific. And he also suggested the Bonafides, which I assumed were a lot like Enforcers (and was therefore not considering.)

Interesting thought about the tune but at 140 lbs I'm pretty sure I have too much ski, regardless of the tune.

What I really need to do is demo, but that may not be possible. I've made other good ski decisions from this forum + reviews, so still hoping I can make a choice before my next Western trip in January.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And he also suggested the Bonafides
I'm pretty sure I have too much ski

:nono:

Is your friend 5' 6" 140lbs?

Didn't think so.

I feel about the Bonafides exactly the way you described the Enforcers. At 166cm they were awesome on groomers, manageable but uninspiring off piste. At 173cm they were just stupid. Same with the Brahma for me.

Your earlier post was going in a better direction. And the idea about the Rustler 10 makes sense, depending on how off-piste-y you want to go.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
These would be my 3 suggestions for him too.

please check out the Renoun Endurance 98, Sali QST 99 or the Mindbender 99. The QST and Mindbender are easy to ski and will both perform well on a mix of terrain. the Endurance is a little stiffer but still easy to ski. they are sale right now for 999 plus free bindings.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
were you on the stock mount point on the E100s? They also tend to be railed as said above.

That skis in pain in crud at the stock mount point.

They are nt good in wind affect or packed snow IMO.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
please check out the Renoun Endurance 98, Sali QST 99 or the Mindbender 99. The QST and Mindbender are easy to ski and will both perform well on a mix of terrain. the Endurance is a little stiffer but still easy to ski. they are sale right now for 999 plus free bindings.

Have you tested the Mindbender 99 in variable conditions including crud and deeper snow? I was wondering what this ski does in more mixed skiing after only being able to demo it on hard pack. On hard pack it exhibited race ski-like "tendencies" and was able to lay GS trenches with quiet confidence. It didn't strike me as a ski that would transform into a more playful "beast" when taken off-piste, but if it does, then... well... K2 has created one hell of a ski. :)

TS
Pdub

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
:nono:

Is your friend 5' 6" 140lbs?

Didn't think so.

I feel about the Bonafides exactly the way you described the Enforcers. At 166cm they were awesome on groomers, manageable but uninspiring off piste. At 173cm they were just stupid. Same with the Brahma for me.

Good catch. More like 6'1'" 195 lbs. We never like the same skis, which is exactly why I'm here getting advice. Hard to find anyone that matches my age/size/skill set in the "real world."

Ron, I will look in to those suggestions but I don't recall seeing them on the wall, and I'm committed to buying locally.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You know, to complement your rally and for your mass and where you ski, you might really enjoy one of the Sick Day skis.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Have you tested the Mindbender 99 in variable conditions including crud and deeper snow? I was wondering what this ski does in more mixed skiing after only being able to demo it on hard pack. On hard pack it exhibited race ski-like "tendencies" and was able to lay GS trenches with quiet confidence. It didn't strike me as a ski that would transform into a more playful "beast" when taken off-piste, but if it does, then... well... K2 has created one hell of a ski. :)

@Philpug

Sponsor

Staff online