• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This will be the first season in some time that I won't be instructing. My regular private clients will seek me out, so I will still have that aspect intact. What I will miss most is having a big-ass locker that can accommodate three pairs of skis, boots, all my essentials, etc. Rolling up to the hill every day with just a soft sided lunch cooler is awesome.

I'm considering something like a Pacsafe bag that I can lock up. There are a lot of places where I'd just leave the bag - because that is the culture. Not so much at my nearest mountain. I'd hate to leave a nice pair of Sorels hanging out in the lodge, or a nice Thule luggage bag, and hope that it is still there when I wrap up my day of sliding.

How are people managing that aspect?

Thanks in advance..

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve gotten much more streamlined & would advise the same, yet I too am in this situation as being a mtn “lifestyle” skier.... I refuse to drive to the mtns in my bibs/jacket.

I’m searching for same/similar to be able to toss Jacket/Bibs in for the road.

Always have to be ready for anything après Ski ;)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I just leave my bag......

I even had my bag stolen before, but honestly the chance are slim. After that incident I now carry my car key in my jacket, and always have my debit card on me, and leave some shoes in the car.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

I even had my bag stolen before, but honestly the chance are slim. After that incident I now carry my car key in my jacket, and always have my debit card on me, and leave some shoes in the car.
One of the first things that my wife said to me after I purchased my new Spyder Bag "That is so nice, someone is going to steal it" now I am concerned that she is correct.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the first things that my wife said to me after I purchased my new Spyder Bag "That is so nice, someone is going to steal it" now I am concerned that she is correct.
Even if she isn't correct, let her think that she is...happy wife, happy life.

How far away are you parked? It is nice having an AWD locker.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
At Mt. Baker the parking is so close to the lift that I just have my skis in the box on the car and I can boot up in the parking lot, leaving all of my extra stuff locked in the car.

At Stevens Pass it's not so convenient, but I've found a weekday parking place that allows me to, again, boot up at the car and climb a small hill from which I can ski to the lift. Some days I have breakfast in the lodge and on those days I have a pair of cheap boots that I just hang on a peg during the day. Everything else is on my person or in the car.

I don't lock my skis, but I do separate them at both places when in the lodge. The only time I ever had anything stolen was when I was on ski patrol and I had a pair of poles stolen out of the ski patrol building. I've been skiing since 1963.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually I boot at the car and my stuff stays there. When I coached we stashed in trees at the top of one of the lifts. I will say that I have been impressed with the quality of my Pacsafe tote that I use most often for traveling.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
At Mt. Baker the parking is so close to the lift that I just have my skis in the box on the car and I can boot up in the parking lot, leaving all of my extra stuff locked in the car.

At Stevens Pass it's not so convenient, but I've found a weekday parking place that allows me to, again, boot up at the car and climb a small hill from which I can ski to the lift. Some days I have breakfast in the lodge and on those days I have a pair of cheap boots that I just hang on a peg during the day. Everything else is on my person or in the car.

I don't lock my skis, but I do separate them at both places when in the lodge. The only time I ever had anything stolen was when I was on ski patrol and I had a pair of poles stolen out of the ski patrol building. I've been skiing since 1963.

I taught at Baker for a season. Management was super abusive of ski instructors. I'm not sure that some of their policies were legal. The ski school locker room was a joke, but it allowed a semi-safe place to stash a bag.

I designed and built a gorgeous ski house in Glacier, WA - in Glacier Springs. Meth driven crime chased us out. One deputy in Whatcom County for every 300 sq miles. The bad guys had scanners so they knew where the one deputy was.

IMG-6899-2-800x533.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Thats why I shell out for a seasonal locker. Now up to $350 at the base lodge here. :-( But every time I go back for another layer I remind myself that is why I pay for it. Don't they have them where you are?
What I will miss most is having a big-ass locker that can accommodate three pairs of skis, boots, all my essentials, etc. Rolling up to the hill every day with just a soft sided lunch cooler is awesome

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Just go to a Dollar Store and buy a cloth laundry bag or even 2 sewn together that is bigger than your Spyder bag.

A cheap duffel bag might also work.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I either boot up at home or at the car. For those times when I'm racing I sometimes do that and others I just have a big HotGear bag loaded with everything I need. It's a slog, but it is what works.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Just go to a Dollar Store and buy a cloth laundry bag or even 2 sewn together that is bigger than your Spyder bag.

A cheap duffel bag might also work.

Good solution. Overbagging with a undesirable bag. Nice stealthy approach. Hiding in plain sight.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
When I drive anywhere but the local bump, I boot up at the car. And I'm talking Quebec cold....Leave everything locked in the car. Take keys, money and CC. Usually I don't take my whole purse either.

Love living on the resort....need something, go home. Don't like the weather...go home.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

yeah the bag that was stolen was a really nice bag. It was senate Rollerblade bag I re purposed for ski boots.

My current bag is functional but a piece of crap.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

^^^
This is me. Had my Transpack stolen with a nice pair of LL Bean pack boots and some lift vouchers in it. I still leave my bag in places where everyone is leaving them. Sometimes I will do bag check or locker.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

When booting up at the car at Stevens, I park at the “upper-upper” lot, officially known at lot 4, which is adacent to the maintenance building for the snow cats near the Brooks chair. Since you have to drive past lots 1, 2, and 3 to get there, it’s usually got plenty of spots available, even on weekends. There is usually a cluster of cars near the Mountainteers lodge. Regardless, there is no hill to climb and you can ski down to Brooks or Skyline, and ski back to lot 4 at the end of the day.

What I usually do these days is wear my boot bag, which is a Full Tilt branded bag and not particularly expensive, gear up/boot up at the large restroom in the Pacific Crest lodge, and stuff my bag in a cubby on the 2nd floor (they built new cubbies last season), or hang things up on a peg in the Granite lodge. Never had anything taken.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
In unfamiliar ski areas, or concerning ones, I leave my nice heated bag in the car and use my old jr transpak. Interestingly enough no one has seemed particularly interested in stealing a well abused, jr sized, purple boot bag. Go figure.

I always carry ID and one credit card in my left upper zip pocket. I keep my car key in a separate waist zip pocket that is specially designated. I started doing that after having keys fall out of pockets that I was accessing for other reasons. It was almost a really, really bad day.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I dress in all but my shell for the 2.5 hour drive there, boot up at the car, leave 2nd pair of skis locked in the rack. After I de-boot at the car, then walk to the nearest bathroom and change into dry sweats for the ride home.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I put my extra layers, street shoes, spare goggles, tools and snacks etc. in my boot bag and lock it by the zipper tabs to the ski rack. It’s waterproof, so everything stays secure and dry. It’s really convenient to have your extra stuff near to the base lift if you want to keep skiing without heading into the lodge. Especially useful in AZ where our huge temperature swings have us shedding gloves, goggles and layers all day. I’ve done this for years at multiple resorts and never had an issue.

Sponsor

Staff online