• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
In January 2016 he threw a snowboarder from a lift at Aspen. Now about 3-1/2 years later he is set to be released from the mental hospital.

The prosecutor is objecting to this release.

News about release: https://snowbrains.com/aspen-chairlift-thrower-released/

News from original incident: https://snowbrains.com/man-who-pushed-snowboarder-off-chairlift-arrested-charged/

My thoughts:
Good thing the snowboarder landed in nice soft snow.
In the mental hospital for 3-1/2 years seems long enough. As long as doctors say he is now functional and on the right meds -- I see no reason not to release him.
Schizophrenia is a terrible disease, but with time and the right treatment people can improve.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, don't really know how I feel on this, agree he should be recovered and in the specific case appears no one seriously injured. It gets messy in trying to determine if the person had any inkling of needing help but ignoring it, if others knew but ignored, etc.

Mental disease is often difficult for so many reasons, least of which is stigma.

Heard a story sometime last year that a good percentage of murderers actually have some form of brain lesions or tumors, these easier to find if looked for.

Wouldn't make me feel any better if someone I knew was a victim.

Some have to do time once cured ....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
But wasn't he off his meds when this happened? And I heard, but not confirmed, that he was a member of the Crown family. That shouldn't matter, but money for lawyers? The internet is full of rumours too.

All in all, if he's under control, then there is nothing anyone can do except himself.

Sponsor

Staff online