• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
They have tech fittings but not the reverse front buckle. Rubber soles.
He's raising money special olympics, and an ortho surgeon. So ok.

IMG_6402.JPG

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if he used the walk mode. :duck:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I was able to zoom in. Apparently, he was in a custom set of footwear.

upload_2019-5-2_21-30-48.png

James

Out There
Instructor
^ But he's in ski mode!
Running a marathon in ski mode is worse than skiing in marathon mode. I would think.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
^ But he's in ski mode!
Running a marathon in ski mode is worse than skiing in marathon mode. I would think.

That likely was a training session.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...and I can’t stand to even wear my boots in thru the parking lot to the lift!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was always weird the disconnect of how doing X conflates with "raising money" for purpose Y. If you were to look at it like a Vulcan, one event has no bearing on the other. How does Running for an arbitrary amount of miles cure cancer or even relate to helping this cause?

I think I remember reading or analysing , the germ of the idea is your friends are paying you to endure arbitrary suffering; which is a bit wicked in itself. Even this doesn't pass logical muster. Your suffering does not solve any problems. It only starts to make sense when you bring up psychology of magical thinking. If I whip myself 10 times every night, she will fall in love with me. If I run 26.2 miles, then cancer will be cured.

Optimizing the goal, would his direct physical energy and time not have been better spent volunteering at the Special olympics or working with special olympics kids?
:huh::popcorn:

James

Out There
Instructor
It's just money. There's only so many bake sales one can have. It's an excuse to get people over the edge and give money to a cause.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Would be nicer in these :roflmao:

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 1.50.33 PM.png

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's just money. There's only so many bake sales one can have. It's an excuse to get people over the edge and give money to a cause.

Agree, Fundraising of this sort has become common place; but digging past the layers and that you money is not directly for the cause; nor for an overpriced good or service (e.g. party/dinner); but if you think about it the pledge is for you to perform a feat of suffering is the part which would raise Spock's eyebrow.

Would you be able to ask your friends to sponsor you to go party in vegas and have a good time if you said it was for Special Olympics? Even if the same $ ends up in the charity hands. Somewhy there needs to be that [unnecessary] suffering or pain involved for your friends to support you.