• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Man, I hate earthquakes!

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you guys hate earthquakes, don't come to New Zealand. They are quite a regular feature of life in New Zealand.
We have had a few really big ones in the last ten years. Christchurch was smashed by a series of really big quakes starting Sept 2010 through to 2012 The February 2011 quake really devastated the region and the whole of the CBD was flattened and there was major loss of lives .There were 10,000 after shocks in two years. There are still big areas in the CBD where buildings haven't been replaced.
In Nov 2016 the Kaikoura (South Island ) 7.8 quake lifted the seabed and foreshore up to 5.8 mts in places. We live 195 kms away on the North Island and I thought a freight train was coming through our house.they are truly terrifying. Ironically ,when earthquakes happen on this scale, I get employed as an insurance assessor to help scope and repair domestic properties. I have been and seen some amazing damage in hundreds of homes.

Paua ( Paa Waa ) / Abalone left high and dry after the Kaikoura Quake
1589923840604.png

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO, it depends on the type of quake. The rolling quakes can be large but not as scary. The CA buildings are well constructed and just roll along nicely with them, even the bigger quakes. But the shaking ones? Yowser, those are scary! As soon as cabinets start opening and stuff starts falling out of cupboards, I worry. I know that we have stood outside waiting for aftershocks. It's a good chance to socialize with neighbors - or at least it used to be. @Philpug I still prefer them to rattlesnakes. We get them in our backyard in Oceanside, regularly. My dogs have to go through aversion training. We were down last week and Hawkins was standing on the deck barking and refusing come down, while Sadie was at the bottom barking at him. Sure enough, rattlesnake in the yard.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 5.0 at 5:30 this morning. Slept through that one too. :(

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just looked it up. Tonopah/Hawthorne again. They are getting pummeled with lots of smaller ones too.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMHO, it depends on the type of quake. The rolling quakes can be large but not as scary. The CA buildings are well constructed and just roll along nicely with them, even the bigger quakes. But the shaking ones? Yowser, those are scary! As soon as cabinets start opening and stuff starts falling out of cupboards, I worry.

Don't forget the soil type factor - soft soil, sand or fill dirt, even a small volume of it, can totally change a roller into a shaker.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only one I've ever felt was Washington DC in 2011. I'm in Michigan and could feel my third floor cubicle swaying. That's close enough for me.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink