• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Mammoth - Questions On Late Spring Skiing

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm thinking of taking my kids back to Mammoth again over Memorial Day weekend. We've never been there anywhere close to this late, and I was wondering if someone could hazard a guess as to which parts of the mountain might be open that time of year. I know there are a lot of variables, but any info would be helpful. For instance, we normally stay at The Bridges over by the Eagle area, but I would think that area is the first to close given its exposure.

Thanks.

Chris

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been there in mid and late May. Open were main lodge lifts, chair 23, chair 2 (mid May), chair 5 part time (late May).

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I have been there in mid and late May. Open were main lodge lifts, chair 23, chair 2 (mid May), chair 5 part time (late May).

Thanks, that's sort of what I figured so it will make sense to find somewhere to stay closer to Main Lodge.

Next question --- anyone know of any condos close to Main Lodge?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Take sunscreen. Lots and lots of sunscreen.

There are condos across the parking lot from Main Lodge, and hotel rooms at the Mammoth Mtn Inn. If you stay in the Village, you can always hop the Red Line shuttles up to Main Lodge.

If you want to stay in town, I like the Cinnamon Bear B&B, a very short walk from the Red Line stop on Main St.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Chair 2 and the Stump parking lot will easily run through Memorial weekend with this year's snowpack. I would bet it will last a couple of weekends into June at least. It made July 4 in 2011 but we need a cool spring in addition to the deep snowpack for that to happen again.

With chair 2 open most of chair 5's terrain is accessible from the back of 3. With large attendance estimates, Mammoth may run more lifts on Memorial weekend. In 2011 chairs 4 and 5 ran. Even with minimal lift operation all of the runs off the top are open and accessible as long as they have snow, which will be July 4 or later this year.

Mammoth Mtn Inn is the only place you can stay within walking distance of what's open Memorial weekend. But I would recommend trying to get a good lodging deal in town and drive up to Stump for skiing.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
The core lifts 1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 23 and both gondolas will run daily through Memorial Day minimum. The gondola will be down for maintenance May 30 - June 16. During that time only 23 will serve the top. By past track record 23 may close when the gondola reopens, but both the gondola and 23 rate to be open for the July 1-4 holiday as in 2006, 2011 etc.

After the Canyon/Eagle closing April 23:
Chairs 4, 5 and 10 have been open the last 7 days through April 30 at least
Chairs 12-14 were open this weekend April 29-30.

On my most recent day at Mammoth April 21 a patroller confirmed that race camps are booked at Mammoth into early early August. He also offered his opinion that the public will be allowed on the mountain along with the racers as long as there is enough snow for both to coexist. This is exactly what happened in 1995.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
Update: 5 is running today but not 4 or 10.

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
The core lifts 1, 2, 3, 6, 11, 23 and both gondolas will run daily through Memorial Day minimum. The gondola will be down for maintenance May 30 - June 16. During that time only 23 will serve the top. By past track record 23 may close when the gondola reopens, but both the gondola and 23 rate to be open for the July 1-4 holiday as in 2006, 2011 etc.

After the Canyon/Eagle closing April 23:
Chairs 4, 5 and 10 have been open the last 7 days through April 30 at least
Chairs 12-14 were open this weekend April 29-30.

On my most recent day at Mammoth April 21 a patroller confirmed that race camps are booked at Mammoth into early early August. He also offered his opinion that the public will be allowed on the mountain along with the racers as long as there is enough snow for both to coexist. This is exactly what happened in 1995.

Thanks for this info!

TonyC

Pass Pulled
4, 5 and 10 are closed due to the private superpark event like last year at this time. With the amount of snow up there, I think there's a decent chance the park will be bulldozed when the event is over and those chairs will reopen for at least a couple of weekends.

Sponsor