• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Mammoth Lodging (ski In Ski Out)

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
What's the preferred lodging at Mammoth for ski in ski out?

Looking for 4ish star accommodations, hotel or condo. Higher end and convenience preferred...

Thinking Village lodge?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's the preferred lodging at Mammoth for ski in ski out?

Looking for 4ish star accommodations, hotel or condo. Higher end and convenience preferred...

Thinking Village lodge?
We had much better luck at the Westin than the Mammoth Mtn Lodge. Even though you cannot ski into the Westin, You can take the gondola right from there.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also depends on time of year. Eagle side of the mountain is awesome for ski in/out BUT those runs have to be open first. This year seems to be shaping up nicely for that side of the mountain to open quite soon. Otherwise, yes, anywhere in the village is good because you can hop the gondola up to Canyon Lodge and ski right from there. I don't think there's anything BUT high end in the village.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Looks like the Eagle area and the Village Run will not be open until the 16th at the earliest--we booked a room in the main (renovated) area of the Inn at the Main Lodge.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the Eagle area and the Village Run will not be open until the 16th at the earliest--we booked a room in the main (renovated) area of the Inn at the Main Lodge.
I have not stayed there but you can't beat the slopeside convenience. Make sure you hit the Yodler in front of the lodge for beer and some tasty pub food. Otherwise, plan on driving down the hill to dine (unless they've added more dining options at Main Lodge since 2014.)

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
We had much better luck at the Westin than the Mammoth Mtn Lodge. Even though you cannot ski into the Westin, You can take the gondola right from there.

Why didn't I just listen to you sensei? Could have saved us an hour and a half!

We completely checked in to MMI, looked around, and RAPIDLY went to the front desk and asked if we could cancel our 3 night stay.

We are at the Westin.

Shockingly bad at the Inn. I was actually surprised at how gross it was? Ah well. Westin is quite nice and comfortable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

We completely checked in to MMI, looked around, and RAPIDLY went to the front desk and asked if we could cancel our 3 night stay.

We are at the Westin.

Shockingly bad at the Inn. I was actually surprised at how gross it was? Ah well. Westin is quite nice and comfortable.
Well, it sounds like our experience at the MMI was not a unique one after all.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

We are at the Westin.

Same here. And they charged for every extra thing imaginable.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Same here. And they charged for every extra thing imaginable.

MMI does? I got that idea. Westin has a resort fee which is per room/unit they book. And you get covered parking, valet, a hot tub that you didn't feel like you were going to get a flesh eating virus from, etc. MMI wanted 20 PER PERSON...and for what?

We hit Vons last night and from the money saved by eating in every meal we will probably come out ahead!

Oh, and we were in an "upgraded" "deluxe loft" at MMI...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
MMI does? I got that idea. Westin has a resort fee which is per room/unit they book. And you get covered parking, valet, a hot tub that you didn't feel like you were going to get a flesh eating virus from, etc. MMI wanted 20 PER PERSON...and for what?

We hit Vons last night and from the money saved by eating in every meal we will probably come out ahead!

Oh, and we were in an "upgraded" "deluxe loft" at MMI...
On the MMI fees, we were told that it covered ski valet and internet. The ad said that internet was included but they argued and charged us anyway.

At least Westin is up front about what they charge and its spotless.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I truly hope you're exaggerating about the mammoth mountain inn. Our ski club has us booked there for our trip the last week of march. The pictures look ok. I was looking forward to a great time, first time to mammoth

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@graham418 - lets just say, they are in need of renovating. It's shelter, and its close to the slopes.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
I truly hope you're exaggerating about the mammoth mountain inn. Our ski club has us booked there for our trip the last week of march. The pictures look ok. I was looking forward to a great time, first time to mammoth

It's a crap hole, and is located at like 9k feet so sleeping isn't all that easy.

Honestly, it SUCKED, and shockingly so.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Ahh... good news on Westin, esp with Starwood/Marriott - always wanted to ski Mammoth. How is the airfield?

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Ahh... good news on Westin, esp with Starwood/Marriott - always wanted to ski Mammoth. How is the airfield?

No idea, we drove, as it's not too far. But I would assume fine? I am almost 100% sure that the westin provides a shuttle. Uber is plentiful from what I understand as well and would get you back and forth to the grocery store.

If I had to do it again I'd actually stay on the mountain at juniper and make all my meals there!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth Mountain Inn sucks. I went to Mammoth with my ski club, and…..didn’t stay.
Long story. Short version: After a long journey there from the east coast, I was feeling sick. We were met by a surly bellhop who took our bags up a long driveway (not into the lobby of the lodge), through a parking garage, into a service door by the trash dumpsters, up an unheated service elevator and down the hall to the room.

It was dirty and smelled like mold. The room was cramped. We had no idea where we were relative to the lodge’s lobby. The only way we could figure out to get in/out was that way we came in…through the parking garage.

I woke up that evening and had to go to the ER. Our room phone didn’t work. Our outlets woulldn‘t charge our phones. It was a nightmare just getting a taxi. After being treated I had to go back though that garage, etc to the room. The only reason I slept was because I had been given atavan, LOL.

The next morning, when they told us (I had a roommate) that there were no other rooms for 2 people, I decided to leave, on my own. I went to Reno and bagged the whole trip.

My roommate got a nice single room (king bed) near the lobby. But she said the food was overpriced and the service lousy.

I took photos to document how bad it was. Sent them to the ski club trip leader.

Parking garage entrance we had to walk through. The bellhop walked us through here at 9PM when we arrived.
C316FAE9-4501-4284-B793-41EC62403114.jpeg

Entrance door (#3)
1C40D034-48B2-4A7D-AC18-1870990DAB19.jpeg

Stained carpet in room. Notice not much space between bed and desk/dresser.
ABB00A15-D484-45E2-89D4-A066B641D695.jpeg

Hallway. Soviet-bloc style.
5598258C-A432-40DC-B3CC-D33912F61F07.jpeg

Lame attempt at a comfort feature. I love the escape ladder.
1A372E4C-FEF6-4F9A-A514-1109F2DD5EA2.jpeg

The rest of the ski club stayed at Juniper, which was nice. Those of us at Mammoth Mountain Inn weren’t so lucky. Where our room was, was in no way ski in/out. It was a long way to lug gear.

The lobby there is kind of cool, but everything else….ugh.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are not exaggerating. See my pics above.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mammoth Mountain Inn sucks. I went to Mammoth with my ski club, and…..didn’t stay.
Long story. Short version: After a long journey there from the east coast, I was feeling sick. We were met by a surly bellhop who took our bags up a long driveway (not into the lobby of the lodge), through a parking garage, into a service door by the trash dumpsters, up an unheated service elevator and down the hall to the room.

It was dirty and smelled like mold. The room was cramped. We had no idea where we were relative to the lodge’s lobby. The only way we could figure out to get in/out was that way we came in…through the parking garage.

I woke up that evening and had to go to the ER. Our room phone didn’t work. Our outlets woulldn‘t charge our phones. It was a nightmare just getting a taxi. After being treated I had to go back though that garage, etc to the room. The only reason I slept was because I had been given atavan, LOL.

The next morning, when they told us (I had a roommate) that there were no other rooms for 2 people, I decided to leave, on my own. I went to Reno and bagged the whole trip.

My roommate got a nice single room (king bed) near the lobby. But she said the food was overpriced and the service lousy.

I took photos to document how bad it was. Sent them to the ski club trip leader.

Parking garage entrance we had to walk through. The bellhop walked us through here at 9PM when we arrived.
View attachment 161869

Entrance door (#3)
View attachment 161870

Stained carpet in room. Notice not much space between bed and desk/dresser.
View attachment 161871

Hallway. Soviet-bloc style.
View attachment 161872

Lame attempt at a comfort feature. I love the escape ladder.
View attachment 161873

The rest of the ski club stayed at Juniper, which was nice. Those of us at Mammoth Mountain Inn weren’t so lucky. Where our room was, was in no way ski in/out. It was a long way to lug gear.

The lobby there is kind of cool, but everything else….ugh.
When we stayed there a few years ago (maybe 5?) we were treated with a simlar exprience and paid an added charge for internet which was horrible in the "annex" older buildings that smelled moldy and uninhabitable.

The motel 6 with crappy internet was better equipped than this experience.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are not exaggerating. See my pics above.
Wendy, So sorry to hear about your experience, and that you had to curtail your trip. Mammoth was such a fantastic trip for me and my group.
Our experience was much better than yours. Our rooms were in the separate building across the driveway. While the rooms were nothing fancy, there was nothing wrong with them. I've stayed at a lot worse!! No problem with the internet. Access to the hot tub was cold as you had to enter through the underground. Our group had breakfast included, and we had a big table to ourselves every morning with a great selection of food. They even hosted a private dinner for us one evening in a meeting room. The staff was happy to have us there and really went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

Sponsor

Staff online