• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The next time you hear "Heads up" you may want to pay attention.
Check out this Instagram video of a snowboarder being chased by a mama moose.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting that only the first boarder, not the second one nor the third one - nor the camera person - triggered mama moose.

The more I think about it, the more this looks set up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Camera person was holding still filming so no threat. First boarder came down and startled mama. Since he didn't approach he was quickly deemed no threat. Now she is alert and the second and third boarders followed the first, so no threat.

Set up or not mama reacted to a potential threat and figured it was no big deal.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. Since he didn't approach he was quickly deemed no threat. Now she is alert and the second and third boarders followed the first, so no threat..

I think it's more to do with where she is relative to the calf; the moment she is between the calf and the threat she stops.

The net distances to mama moose are not that different - she could have triggered on the second and third boarder based on distance but they are further from the calf than she is.

I think she is totally and completely aware of upslope/downslope advantages and refuses to go further downslope of the calf than her original momentum took her.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Camera person was holding still filming so no threat. First boarder came down and startled mama. Since he didn't approach he was quickly deemed no threat. Now she is alert and the second and third boarders followed the first, so no threat.

Set up or not mama reacted to a potential threat and figured it was no big deal.
Still an Oh Shit moment in my books.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting that only the first boarder, not the second one nor the third one - nor the camera person - triggered mama moose.

Ha-reminds me of the joke about the 2 photographers snapping pictures of a grizzle bear catching fish in a stream when it gets wind of them and charges. One looks at the other and says “1 of us is going to get a hell of a picture!”

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ha-reminds me of the joke about the 2 photographers snapping pictures of a grizzle bear catching fish in a stream when it gets wind of them and charges. One looks at the other and says “1 of us is going to get a hell of a picture!”

How about the two hikers ..........one with hiking boots and the other with a new pair of sneakers.
Hiker boot guy says to his sneakered friend..."why you wearing those?
friend says .."you know....in case a grizzly charges"
hiker boot guy laughs and says ...."you jerk, your not gonna out run a grizzly"
friend says...."no, but im gonna leave you in the dust"

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah sure looked to me they were aware the moose were there. Looked to me they seen a opportunity to film something cool. So set up a guy filming, then it’s let’s go terrorize the natives.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Not good. Do you realize how much energy it takes for a moose to respond to that? and how little food there is in winter? F'ing around with wildlife in winter, or even trivializing the events, is not cool IMHO.

Mike

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah sure looked to me they were aware the moose were there. Looked to me they seen a opportunity to film something cool. So set up a guy filming, then it’s let’s go terrorize the natives.
The way I understood it is that the camera person was videoing the moose and calf, but not associated with the snowboarder, which is why he was yelling "heads up"

I've stopped to take photos or videos of wildlife from a safe distance, so I could see it happening this way.
For sure, I don't think its cool to mess with wildlife.

Edit: I watched it again and it looks like the first snowboarder was somewhat close to the moose but those who followed took a much different line, well above the line. I'm pretty sure the snowboarders in the video were surprised by the moose and the guy filming was an innocent dude who was taking a video of the moose and shouted "heads up" when he realized that the snowboarders were about to infringe on the moose nesting in the trail. Also note how deep the snow is where the moose sinks in while trying to charge the boarder.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I fell on the lowest black run at Sun Valley once-lost prescription glasses. Tried to return to look but found the run closed. Went to the ski patrol house to try to get permission to ski the run again to look for the glasses. No go.

Response was met with total laughter from all in the room. All they could do was point to a local news clipping on the wall. It was a photo of the patroller I was talking to being chased down the run where my glasses were by a bear who just came out of hibernation!

It was near April 1st and the bear who was very close to my glasses was about to emerge. Never found my glasses.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January