• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Holy mass exodus of New York, Jersey, CT and Massachusetts. I understand why all the move to states are popular, except maybe Alabama but I don't judge, never been there. Perhaps I'm missing something. Can't ski there though............ I have fantasy's of quitting my job and moving to Vermont as it's harder and harder to leave there every weekend. I have a friend who just did that, she's sorta my inspiration at the moment.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have fantasy's of quitting my job and moving to Vermont as it's harder and harder to leave there every weekend. I have a friend who just did that, she's sorta my inspiration at the moment.
Good to have fantasies and inspiration. If you are going to do it why not go to a Western state? Skiing in VT is fun and there are some textbook quaint towns (and not), but it rains less and snows more other places.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I can absolutely see Vermont. We had the opportunity to make that move three times, and didn't pull the trigger. We had school issues, we had elderly parent issues, and in one case the more I dug into the job {which was on the surface one of the best in the state}, I just could not pull the trigger. The company just would never be a real leader in their niche. Couldn't do it. We still may end up there. The big drawback is that we have salt water in our veins, as dumb as that may sound. And we're nodtloking at this point to have three homes. Nope.

Those who think that you're giving up a lot haven't spent enough time there, skied there enough, etc. I grew up with a ski home in Stowe, and we bought our first ski home there. We were very close to "moving back" a few years ago and when the Vail acquisition of the ski area took place, decided to sit back and observe for a couple of years, anyways. We loved the Stowe we knew, not so sure that we'd love today's Stowe the same.

At one time I mentioned to Tony C that I think I've skied close to 300 areas world wide, large and small. As a home base, Stowe has a LOT to offer.

Vermont is a special place. We also have another plan that involves Maine. No place in the East that I prefer to ski than Sugarloaf, and the Maine coast is pretty special. Portland is a great little "city", by pretty much any measure, too. If I were a generation younger, and had the chops to start an entrepreneurial venture again, I'd be ALL OVER Portland. No question. At his point, we might be faster up and East on the Coast {and at Sugarloaf}.

Spend a lot of time "West." Lots of huge pluses, depending on location. No question. I think for us, doing a fair amount of visiting makes the most sense. We'd struggle to make the numbers work to be where we'd Ideally like be, were we headed that way. We also need to factor in where our adult kids might put down roots. Which is another very, very interesting equation.

We have lived in the same town for most of 40 years. We have roots and friends, and in many ways it's very special. Now off the hook expensive. Maybe time make a change. Our town changes a great deal every year. More Range Rovers.

It's interesting to think this through. The I was pretty deep into my career, NOBODY had every thought of working remotely. There was no internet. My cell phone was a $1600 phone hardwired in my car. I recall being in a tedious meeting with the senior management team of my company, where the head of whatever we called IT, was trying to convince us that everybody would have a PC on their desk, and that they would not be made by IBM. The CEO said "We don't follow fads and buy gimmicks here!" Real visionary, HUH?

Point being that being near or in ski country and having a decent income had different options then. I'm jealous.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Good to have fantasies and inspiration. If you are going to do it why not go to a Western state? Skiing in VT is fun and there are some textbook quaint towns (and not), but it rains less and snows more other places.

I'd move back out west but I'd be just as happy in Vermont. I love 4 seasons, fall is stunning there, really no humidity, it has a rural feel to it. It shows enough for me and if not it is cold enough most of the time for snowmaking. As they cult says "I love the rain". I'm in Vermont most weekends and it feels like home to me.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure what exodus people are talking about regarding NY - wish it were true but the facts seem to indicate otherwise (as does daily reality :rolleyes:)

NY State Population
2018 19,862,512
2017 19,849,399
2016 19,836,286
2015 19,747,183
2014 19,718,515
2013 19,673,546
2012 19,602,769
2011 19,519,529
2010 19,378,102
2000 18,976,457
1990 17,990,455
1980 17,558,072
1970 18,236,967
1960 16,782,304
1950 14,830,192
1940 13,479,142
1930 12,588,066
1920 10,385,227
1910 9,113,614
1900 7,268,894

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know, it looks pretty stagnate the last ten years.

Yeah, only about a million more people in the last ten years, or about the entire states of Vermont and Wyoming, combined :)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Not sure what exodus people are talking about regarding NY - wish it were true but the facts seem to indicate otherwise (as does daily reality :rolleyes:)

NY State Population
2018 19,862,512
2017 19,849,399
2016 19,836,286
2015 19,747,183
2014 19,718,515
2013 19,673,546
2012 19,602,769
2011 19,519,529
2010 19,378,102
2000 18,976,457
1990 17,990,455
1980 17,558,072
1970 18,236,967
1960 16,782,304
1950 14,830,192
1940 13,479,142
1930 12,588,066
1920 10,385,227
1910 9,113,614
1900 7,268,894

It's likely that some babies are born there every year.
I know, not likely, but possible. ;-0 The article was all ab out MOVES

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The population of Vermont declined by 0.2% in 2016, the third largest contraction of any state. Like most Northeastern states with population loss, the population decline was largely due to outbound migration. Approximately 2,00 more residents moved out of Vermont in 2016 than moved in, nearly the largest loss of any state when adjusted for population size.

Population growth was also stymied by the state’s low birth rate. Vermont’s birth rate has been on a fairly steady decline over the past three decades, and in 2016, there were just 6,035 births in Vermont — nearly the fewest of any year since the 19th century.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The population of Vermont declined by 0.2% in 2016, the third largest contraction of any state. Like most Northeastern states with population loss, the population decline was largely due to outbound migration. Approximately 2,00 more residents moved out of Vermont in 2016 than moved in, nearly the largest loss of any state when adjusted for population size.

Population growth was also stymied by the state’s low birth rate. Vermont’s birth rate has been on a fairly steady decline over the past three decades, and in 2016, there were just 6,035 births in Vermont — nearly the fewest of any year since the 19th century.

None of my three kids have chosen to remain. Sad, I suppose.
But I rather envy the choices made. One in South Lake Tahoe/ Kirkwood and another in Taos.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's likely that some babies are born there every year.
I know, not likely, but possible. ;-0 The article was all ab out MOVES

Who would have guessed :P Is it also likely some folks pass away? :rolleyes:

If you fly through / into JFK international you can see first hand the number of people "moving" into NYC with just a suitcase. Those folks likely total more than those moving in or out with an18 wheeler full of stuff.

Regardless, the economy of Northern NY state is not getting much better and NYC and the surrounding areas (Westchester, Nassau,...) are getting more and more expensive, so I doubt NY State is leading the pack in population growth on a % basis.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
None of my three kids have chosen to remain. Sad, I suppose.
But I rather envy the choices made. One in South Lake Tahoe/ Kirkwood and another in Taos.

As long as they are happy and you get to see them often...ogsmile

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
An interesting list. Not a lot of surprises, Why South Dakota? If the Northwest is calling go to Oregon, you would not like Idaho or Washington.

To make a good home, the skiing does not have to be world class, or the amenities of the town off the charts. There are a lot of things worth doing besides ski, but there is no substitute for family and friends.

Again DON'T GO TO WASHINGTON OR IDAHO.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
VT is a total surprise. I'm sorry to write this, but Vermonters (I know that I'm going to take some heat here) your state is a great place to visit but does not offer young people and businesses many economic incentives. The outdoor activities are first rate for the north east but IMO as a young person, early 40's with a young family, it would be hard for many to live in VT with a career that does not involve telecommuting.

It's easy to understand why cities like Denver, Salt Lake (positive pop growth vs the state which negative), and Reno, are experiencing sharp and sustainable growth rates. There are vibrant economies, lower cost of living, low tax base and world class outdoors activities which help create a high quality of life. As the population grows culture accompanies that influx. As someone who grew up in CT, skied New England and flirted with the idea of moving to VT I'm glad that I chose another path.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
An interesting list. Not a lot of surprises, Why South Dakota? If the Northwest is calling go to Oregon, you would not like Idaho or Washington.

To make a good home, the skiing does not have to be world class, or the amenities of the town off the charts. There are a lot of things worth doing besides ski, but there is no substitute for family and friends.

Again DON'T GO TO WASHINGTON OR IDAHO.

Why South Dakota?

Quality of life!

I get back home every once in a while. My people at least are quite happy and satisfied.
A long week end on the banks of the Missouri River in a pop up camper is vacation!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
There was an entertainer from NYC named Sweet Pie who spent some time in Vermont and wrote a song called "Vermont, It's a Poor Man's Colorado".:thumb:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
bev.jpeg

Nothing here to see, move along.....to Washington or Idaho.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's easy to understand why cities like Denver, Salt Lake (positive pop growth vs the state which negative), and Reno, are experiencing sharp and sustainable growth rates. There are vibrant economies, lower cost of living, low tax base and world class outdoors activities which help create a high quality of life. As the population grows culture accompanies that influx. As someone who grew up in CT, skied New England and flirted with the idea of moving to VT I'm glad that I chose another path.
Very true, We are glad we got here at the bottom economy, if it was today, we could not afford Reno.

Sponsor