• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

[maintenance tuning] Keeping the edges sharp in-between tune ups?

James

Out There
Instructor
REI strikes again.
File every 20 days??
Not bad if you ski powder at least 15 days.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm not sure why tiltable side vises are needed? I just use mine straight up and down.

I only file (as opposed to using stones) three times a season at most. But I don't ski in the East. They get hit every waxing with a series of stones starting at 100 grit, but rarely filed.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I just did my son's skis which were trashed from a lot of abuse in the icy week we spent in tahoe this December.

Before:

20180119_212808.jpg

After:

20180119_213249.jpg

Wow, how did I not start doing this before? This stuff works!

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I only file (as opposed to using stones) three times a season at most. But I don't ski in the East. They get hit every waxing with a series of stones starting at 100 grit, but rarely filed.

I do a quick tune, meaning diamond stones and wax, before each trip, and once in the middle for a week long trip. I do a full tune, meaning a file, if the stones don't get the edges sharp (and I'm feeling motivated).

Someone in the Phantom thread was questioning how often you really need to wax. I can tell the difference after my midweek touchup, but you need to be skiing with a group across a long flat to really see the difference.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been known to wax my skis midweek but not wax my son's skis. (He's grownup so that doesn't make me a bad dad.) I'll take every unfair advantage I can get.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I just did my son's skis which were trashed from a lot of abuse in the icy week we spent in tahoe this December.

Before:

View attachment 37656

After:

View attachment 37657

Wow, how did I not start doing this before? This stuff works!
I feel like I need to give an update on this. The results were stunning. My son and I went to Sugar Bowl next day, and I can say the tunes paid off big time. My son had a great day, one of his best ever, super confident on his skis. Mine? I don't think they have ever been as sharp. I actually sliced the wax sponge aplicator while applying the rub-on wax.

And I had the "A-Ha" (aka "oh-shite") moment predicted by @KingGrump in the Rallies thread. Not only I was on the edges, but I was railed into the turn many times. Amazing feeling.

TLDR; If you are reading this thread and wondering whether it makes sense to sharpen your edges between major tuneups, like I was as I started this thread, think no more. Just do it.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just bought new Hero’s and had them put on a race tune does that mean they’ve already taken down the sidewalls ?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought new Hero’s and had them put on a race tune does that mean they’ve already taken down the sidewalls ?

Maybe, maybe not.
Depends on the shop. "Race Tune" can vary all over the place.

Best to eyeball it for yourself.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Grump, this thread gave me a chance to find out about that FK SKS EDGE TRICK tool, looks to be a great tool for a weekend warrior.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, that's the one I haven't used in a decade. Maybe I'll find it and manage to drop it in a mine shaft...

I agree about the Kant twist clunkyness. Lots of parts to hurt fingers on.

I'm pretty sure this is the clamp @Atomicman recommends. I was surprised, but he swears by it and he's very particular with tuning. I'd try this before any current Svst clamping product. One problem I see with the svst toggle clamp is there's no give in it.

Swix Mini Beveler Clamp:
s-l300.jpg

http://www.artechski.com/swix-mini-beveler-clamp/
NO Sir........I use a Spring Clamp, There is absolutely no need to have a screw down clamp. The set up in the photo couldn't be any more solid and stable! No need to futz around with screw clamps and such., Quick change and easy to hold, thumb pressure properly & directly over edge! AND Cheap!!! And by the way over the years I have tried almost all of them in one configuration or another. Been using a simple spring clamp for at least 10 years!
IMG_20180128_173812595.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I thought I would give one more update here. We headed up the mountain with my son last weekend, and I sharpened edges on both ski sets. He was amazed on how well they were holding, and so was I. This stuff really works. I can't believe I haven't started doing this earlier. It's now consistently, clearly, a pattern. It makes a big difference in our skiing. So, this is not a coincidence. There is a before, and there is an after. Lovely! And not a lot of work!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I would give one more update here. We headed up the mountain with my son last weekend, and I sharpened edges on both ski sets. He was amazed on how well they were holding, and so was I. This stuff really works. I can't believe I haven't started doing this earlier. It's now consistently, clearly, a pattern. It makes a big difference in our skiing. So, this is not a coincidence. There is a before, and there is an after. Lovely! And not a lot of work!

Welcome to the dark side. :) Next will be dedicated ski shop, beer fridge and getting high on wax. :)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
To save money, time and learn from the mistakes we've all made...
Don't buy any adjustable guide, nor one that does base and side edge with the same device.

I do actually recommend the "Side of Beast Pro" - aluminum with stainless wear plate. Now that you can get a 1, 2 or 3 deg angle plate that screws in. You can swap out to change angles.
Do not get the cheaper all plastic version of that tool if they still make it.

Advantage of the Side of Beast?- no spring clamps. Multiple angles with one device. Disadvantage? It somewhat limits how the stone/file goes in due to the screw hold down knob being in place. Also, it's easier to have two guides or more frankly, instead of swapping plates. But you're not there yet.
I wish I'd seen this a few months ago. I decided to try side edge polishing at the end of this season before putting away the skis for summer (or year!!!! :-() and got a Toko adjustable tool. First time I used it it just felt sketchy. Not good. Worked OK, but just felt bad changing stones and it seemed to even bend the stone a bit.

Will probably pick up a Side of Beast Pro from Tognar.