• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Maine Skier!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Howdy ya'll, my name is Justin and I've been skiing the ice coast since 1994. Spent most winters growing up at Sugarloaf, ME or racing for the Yarmouth ski team.

My New England quiver is currently a pair of '22 Fischer RC4 RCS (68mm underfoot) for all my carving/ice skating needs, and a pair of '23 Fischer Ranger (92 underfoot) for any fresh snow that may come our way. Boots are Head Edge Lyt 90 (tried 130s, but I'm only 145lbs and needed something softer).

Most of my skiing has been in Maine or NH, but my partner is from Boulder, CO and has opened my eyes to the wonders of the West. Had the best ski day of my life a couple winters ago up in the Vail backbowls ... and we are headed back there for a week after the New Year (fingers crossed for all the pow I can eat).

Partly out of necessity most of my skiing has been on piste/ripping corduroy, but my buddies have been pulling me into the trees more and more and I'm trying to get some more freestyle into my life. Butters, 180s, and such. Looking for any tips I can get to not look like a total jerry as I try and add some more tricks to my tool belt.

Looking forward to chatting with ya'll. See you on the slopes!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the party!

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @jüstin!, welcome. I live in Auburn and ski at the River, Loaf and Saddleback. My favorite glades are at Saddleback. I'm an old, 69 and I'm usually chasing/trying to keep up with my younger friends. Let me know if you would like to meetup sometime.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was in your situation once, Sonny,
Grew up in N.E. raced, skied ice daily. Moved to California and made the adjustment. Remember everything you learned on the ice and by racing is your friend- you shouldn’t forget any of that- it serve you well . All you are doing is making adjustments and with the exception of deep powder , it’s pretty easy to adjust if you are a strong skier and motivated.
welcome!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
You got the equipment - just need the snow.

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
Hey @jüstin!, welcome. I live in Auburn and ski at the River, Loaf and Saddleback. My favorite glades are at Saddleback. I'm an old, 69 and I'm usually chasing/trying to keep up with my younger friends. Let me know if you would like to meetup sometime.
Will do! Hate to say, but at 30 I'm already the old dog in my ski crew of early 20-somethings ... Saddleback is so dang far, but I've made it up there a couple times. I imagine you'd get more first tracks in the woods than on the river or the loaf!

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
I was in your situation once, Sonny,
Grew up in N.E. raced, skied ice daily. Moved to California and made the adjustment. Remember everything you learned on the ice and by racing is your friend- you shouldn’t forget any of that- it serve you well . All you are doing is making adjustments and with the exception of deep powder , it’s pretty easy to adjust if you are a strong skier and motivated.
welcome!

Yessir! When I got my first taste of real powder out West it was a dream. Settled into it quite nicely :) Not to mention the 'glades' out West are a walk down easy street - the trees are so much tighter up in NE. Its clearly a very different experience going East to West than vice versa (as my partner will attest to - it was a rude awakening).

TS
jüstin!

jüstin!

Booting up
Skier
You got the equipment - just need the snow.
Well, we had snow! Not sure where it all ran off to ... this was probably the best early season I've seen in ME, 'til all that rain a couple weeks ago.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yessir! When I got my first taste of real powder out West it was a dream. Settled into it quite nicely :) Not to mention the 'glades' out West are a walk down easy street - the trees are so much tighter up in NE. Its clearly a very different experience going East to West than vice versa (as my partner will attest to - it was a rude awakening).
One thing you should be aware of that doesn’t really exist back east are Tree wells. Look it up here and use caution.Take them seriously especially if you are skiing alone . ( shouldn’t be skiing alone in glades anyway ! ) :D
Again , welcome- we are likely all older than you so we get grouchy and opinionated at times :rolleyes: , don’t take it personally, we are here to help

Sponsor