• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @cbk to the Pugski Courtesy Phone.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Again? :D Always glad to help out.

@musicmatters , to answer your questions: Yes, Yes, Great, and Yes...

Background: 62 YO from San Diego, love to carve turns (reminds me of surfing, which I did a lot of back in my college days), and DV is quite possibly my favorite place to ski. I've done 3 MTC events (2 3-day and 1 5-day), the most recent being a 5-day I did in January of this year.

Yes, I think they're a good deal. During the 3-day camps, each group gets one half day with either Phil or Steve; during the 5-day camps, each group gets one half day with one of the brothers and another half day with the other brother. The group coaches are selected from DV's best instructors, IMO. I've skied with a former national team coach who was one of the MTC's group coaches, another instructor who is one of my favorite people to ski with that was one of my group coaches and is also a PSIA DECL (division education clinic leader, teaches instructors how to teach and ski), and a couple of others that are as good as anybody I've ever had instruction from (and I've had some great instructors over the years). The groups are divided up based on ability and goals, one year the group I was in was going to be split in half so Chris (ski school director at DV) created the "more moguls" group and the "not so much moguls" group - I was in the latter. All ability levels are covered and Advanced/Intermediate is an excellent level for learning a lot and having a great time as well. The après events are fun - two seminars (turn mechanics and ski equipment) and a dinner/awards event the last night. The instruction is NOT race focused, I was talking with Steve about this at one of the events and he said that he and Phil had considered that but decided to make it just general skiing improvement as they could reach a larger segment of the skier community. This was their way of giving back to the sport that had (and has) given so much to them. They both really down-to-earth people, fun to chat with and ski with, and I'm going to try to make their 3-day in December this coming season. Maybe I'll see
you there, just look for me in the tie dye jacket!

:thumb:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thanks for the info. What is the size of the groups?
Biggest group I was in was 5 people, that was a 3-day camp. First group I was in also had 5 people, two of them were "Mrs. Mahre" and the 3rd was one of the wives' friends. Half way through the 2nd day (of three) it was just Andy and I in the group. That was pretty awesome. The 5-day I did in January had three of us. That, also, was awesome. I don't think I've seen any groups with more than 5 or maybe 6 people total, they try to keep the group size down.

Last edited:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thanks for the info. What is the size of the groups?
Biggest group I was in was 5 people. First group started out at 5 people, but two of them were "Mrs Mahre" (Phil's wife and Steve's wife), a third was one of the wives' friend. They bailed about halfway through the 2nd day leaving me and one other guy for the remainder of the three days. Can't beat that with a stick. The group for my 5-day in January of this year was only three of us. I think they really try to keep the group size down. Win.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Biggest group I was in was 5 people, that was a 3-day camp. First group I was in also had 5 people, two of them were "Mrs. Mahre" and the 3rd was one of the wives' friends. Half way through the 2nd day (of three) it was just Andy and I in the group. That was pretty awesome. The 5-day I did in January had three of us. That, also, was awesome. I don't think I've seen any groups with more than 5 or maybe 6 people total, they try to keep the group size down.

Thanks. I’m looking at the December dates also. I may see you there.

Sponsor