• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Magic Mountain - Now, Recently

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Quite interested in knowing if anyone has skied Magic Mountain in Vermont and how are conditions there now? And yes, I can and do read local conditions report on the mountain website but if any locals or frequenters around, please elaborate. We have plans to be there during the Feb 15 week. Appreciate any color, info, etc.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I periodically read the AlpineZone Magic thread (linked above). It's hard to know if Magic or Saddleback is the most fubar'd mountain in New England this year.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I periodically read the AlpineZone Magic thread (linked above). It's hard to know if Magic or Saddleback is the most fubar'd mountain in New England this year.

Well Magic is open for now ... I'd say Saddleback has missed the window for this season.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, looks like Magic does have snowmaking and are open next week.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Red chair goes to the top so you don't need the Black.
Putting all one's eggs in Magic's basket right now is likely to break a bunch due to rocks. Best to have a backup.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Thank you!

The Red chair goes to the top so you don't need the Black.
Putting all one's eggs in Magic's basket right now is likely to break a bunch due to rocks. Best to have a backup.
True, kids will race and all that, parents probably will quietly wander off to Bromley, or Stratton or whatever is close by, never been to the area but another family we know going know the locale.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Forecast for this area of VT really grim for Tuesday! Changed from nice good snow to something lousy

James

Out There
Instructor
Forecast for this area of VT really grim for Tuesday! Changed from nice good snow to something lousy
Well the snow stake level is going up at Stowe even after Tuesday's abominable weather. (Sayeth Josh)
So there's that.
But Monday should be quite good.
Okemo is decent, Bromley's been closing and opening all year, Stratton probably decent too.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Global warming redux: it is beautiful snow outside, coming down, in Londonderry, and within a couple of hours it's going to turn to 'R---' is the forecast, but one buddy says the meeting point of the low pressure and high pressure zones is unknown and evolving in rather non-deterministic fashion, and will determine conditions at daybreak and the day.

James

Out There
Instructor
Tomorrow's cocktail probably 3 inches snow, an inch of ice pellets, and an inch of water. Shaken at well over 40 degrees.
But there's always hope the Canadians leave the freezer door open.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Magic has more challenging terrain than the nearby areas: Stratton, Okemo, Mt. Snow. However none of their challenging terrain is open due to lack of natural snowfall. They have minimal snowmaking compared to all the aforementioned areas.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Abysmal weather did indeed materialize despite uncertainty.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Back from Magic, incredible terrain if they get snow. Lodge very nice too, throwback era perhaps but excellent free WiFi for all, folks who work there are just all courtesy, all class. The potential terrain looked very tempting, nothing is intimidating but they definitely have some steep, short shots and very tight tree lines, and cliff faces below the lift-path, all of which were not skiable for lack of natural snow. There were basically two runs open from the top, with impeccable grooming so they dealt with the aftermath of the freeze post deluge very well, the crusty layer and then it was gone. Almost hero-snow, so skiing top to bottom basically one line with a couple of variations was a fast good morning and afternoon calorie burner. Would ski there, seems snow-making notwithstanding which is held up as per innkeeper is Vermont State Regulations, the sale which fell through obviously disappointed folks. All the problems are really related to snow-making or woeful lack thereof, i.e. there is some snow-making, awesome grooming , the slopes are lovely, great switchback turns, and the place's potential off-piste and if you see it, ski it ethos lends itself to a great place when fully open. Lodge is so spacious too. Ski shop guys on the ball.

Well, know some egregiously incompetent ski area operators who could take lessons on customer-service from the folks at Magic Mountain?

Question : which mountain has more inbounds terrain, steeper runs and better infrastructore - Mad River Glenn, versus Magic Mountain?

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier

Interesting, not having been to MRG, the folks at Magic, and understandably so, said their mountain is the 'steepest in the East' which I think is tough to verify, but I did see some faces which were inbounds runs, would be rather steep. And MRG has only 1 chair which is a single ? All hearsay, from Magic or at Magic in the last 72 hours. But you say and I presume you are a local so know so, that MRG is bigger in area inbounds than Magic roughly speaking. And I forgot, Mad River Glen being the storied place it is, does not allow snow-boarders!
Magic when snowed in, is 'Magic' from what we saw. This was after Noah's deluge.

Note Magic locals did speak with utmost humility about their mountain

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
MRG does have more than one chair; they have at least three. There's the single, the double and the Birdland area chair.

Magic has some very fun terrain. They easily have the most challenging terrain in southern Vermont.

Like all ski areas, both MRG and Magic have trails that span the range from "beginner" to "expert". I think the "legend" of MRG makes it out to be more challenging than it really is. You can always find an "outlier" trail that gets heralded as an example of how difficult an area is. MRG has Paradise. Stowe has (upper) Goat. Magic has (upper) Black Line.

I haven't been to Magic in several years, as I get passes to Stowe now. It's simply a more reliable experience in terms of snow quality for me. Others have different perspectives on the "ideal" mountain. I hope Magic overcomes their perpetual financial difficulties and survives.