• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Mad River Glen - A Trip East

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Jack97, over on the other site, believes there'll be a freeze-up next week. He's been pretty accurate, short range. I'll be looking for a low-thirties-style snowstorm to glue the base down again, and then a foot or two of powder.

I talked to a couple of guys leaving MRG yesterday — spring skiing, they said.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 24 Feb MRG Conditions
Wife tossed the monkey off her back logging her first Mad River day as a dozen of the Killington regulars made the short pilgrimage North. Restocking the cooler with Sip of Sunshine canned 3 days ago paired with half price tickets thanks to The Point made the day a winner right out of the gate. The local MRG devotees that were out in force yesterday for the spring conditions that are gone until cold and fresh snow return. Ugly soft melted snow spring snow prevailed with punchy rotten snow the main surface off in the trees. Ski it if you can and we had a ball. Mountains of moguls have been reduced to harmless molehills. Early day sunshine turned to afternoon rain showers having little effect on the few skiers in attendance. Adventure run on Rat took us out to Rt 17 for a break at the Rats Nest. Runout into the Rat Hole had some dicey stream crossings that had me holding my breath pretending my lungs were full of helium. Fried Green Beans at the General Stark Pub are still the best. Even on an off day there is not a cooler ski area to be chillin at then Mad River.

Quote of the Day - We are really lucky that this is a dry rain.

First Single Chair Ride.JPG First Single Chair Ride Dirty Soft Snow.JPG Dirty Soft Snow Truthful Signs.JPG Truthful Signs The Steeps.JPG The Steeps Free the Heel.JPG Free The Heel First Beer Break.JPG First Beer Break The Rat.JPG The Rat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, that ain't looking good.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
still a month for it to snow before you get there...

Stowe will be open..

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Stowe being open is what matters, MRG is the icing on the cake.
All it takes is a little snow and Mad River is back 100% open. Cold front Saturday night should drop at least 4 inches on the top of Killington. Would not be surprised if they get near a foot on top of General Stark peak. MRG skiers learn to go with the ebb and flow of the weather. Ski it when you can.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, it was not pretty in the Mad River Valley yesterday, no matter what the Pollyannas say. Shots taken at Sugarbush, Lincoln Peak. Castlerock closed outright. There was nothing but grass showing on the valley floor in Waitsfield. Mt Ellen looked a bit better from a distance.

New England föhn
20170225_122459-01.jpeg

River in middle of trail
20170225_142442-01.jpeg

Random strangers
20170225_102039-01.jpeg

My son on Paradise (Bush, not Glen)
20170225_142118_094_01-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Q, does your son have two different boots?

Yeah, we tried to economize with just one, but stuffing both feet in there was not working well for him.

Seriously, no; just something funky in the photo. He could use a better pair, or at least a proper Booster for those bean pole shins. He has been doing so little alpine the last few years that we haven't made it a priority, given ... Well, you know what getting new boots is like, and trying to work a college kid through that if he's not really motivated...

James

Out There
Instructor
They look way too big in the cuff. Poles are 3-4 inches too long maybe? but no one likes to hear that either.
Places needed to make snow yesterday(sun) as the warm temps and fake snow (ra*n) made for much bare spots. Okemo was actually quite good yesterday on several trails. Some places they made snow all day.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
HAHA, This is funny.
A guy posts a pic of his kid who is unmotivated to ski, but is out enjoying a day with dad and we're analyzing his equipment.
(but yeah, his poles look really long and he could use a tongue shim at the very least)

@Tony S glad you got out to have some fun with your kid on some mediocre snow.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah Stowe's non snow making trails and woods looks far better than the Valley's right now.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I skied Burke today. Good crisp groomers, but everything else ranged from dirt and grass to ice floe.

James

Out There
Instructor
Weird snow squalls tonight causing total carnage on I 91. Road went from dry to covered nearly instantly. Three cars completely off the road in less than a mile between exit 5/6. Southbound also something major with a wrecker and flashing blue lights. People were freaked out driving. I was passing a line of cars by going 30mph.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Ok, a brief warm-up until Wednesday night, then plunging temperatures. There's talk of a potential storm early next week. (The snow kind.) The season's not over yet.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that snow storm is now in the mid Atlantic and NH/Maine.

Sponsor