• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MA request please

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
First time, long time - hi everyone!

Got back on the hill this January after a 6 year break. Practicing drills (and reading this forum) helped me get back in shape. Any thoughts on what I am doing well or not so well are greatly appreciated.

This was done on day 8 of the season at Taos on the worst snow I've ever seen - pure ice, never softened throughout the day (but I had fun anyway). Skiing 2003 Atomic 9-18 Beta Carve (64mm underfoot, i believe :) 170cm lenght). 5'11"/180cm 157lb 45yo if that matters...

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
First time, long time - hi everyone!

Got back on the hill this January after a 6 year break. Practicing drills (and reading this forum) helped me get back in shape. Any thoughts on what I am doing well or not so well are greatly appreciated.

This was done on day 8 of the season at Taos on the worst snow I've ever seen - pure ice, never softened throughout the day (but I had fun anyway). Skiing 2003 Atomic 9-18 Beta Carve (68mm underfoot, i believe :) 170cm lenght). 5'11" 157lb 45yo if that matters...

Thank you in advance!

Good to see some-one returning to the activity and clearly having fun.

Looking at what we can add to your skiing, probably the first things that spring to mind is that you would find things easier with a more athletic stance. Watch Josh's body position in this vid (at least the bits where he is demo-ing what to do as opposed to demo-ing what NOT to do :). Note how he's bending the 3 major joints - ankles, knees, hips.

The second thing is mobility. In that same vid you see that Josh is mobile in those joints. As he says, balance is dynamic - it's not a single pose. And again here...

Josh has plenty more vids however would highly recommend a lesson. The feedback an instructor can give you will speed the whole process.

Also.... a tip for posting vids. Posting a playlist will sequentially show all the vids in the list. So better to post the playlist once (to show all 4 vids) or post each vid once, rather than the same playlist 4 times.

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
P
Good to see some-one returning to the activity and clearly having fun.

Thank you and thank for the advice. Athletic position, bending the knees, and getting out of the back seat are always on my mind. The vids you linked to will help!

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
And I would love to edit my op but the 'edit' link is no longer there... there must be time limit after which posts are not editable...

TS
Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

Skier
as @geepers said in another thread: I'm not working the skis hard enough. I worked them much harder Saturday under much more pleasant bluebird soft spring snow conditions I bet I looked a lot better. I definitely felt a lot better. Did a bunch of new mogul runs that I haven't done before and felt in rhythm for a good chunk of them.