• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ma req

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm in the camp whatever the boot/setup if you are good you are good. Ted Ligety would beat me in rental boots. Boots will adjust to your skiing somewhat too. But I understand why some people say boots may be not setup right.

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
I have played on the hill with the ideas offered, looked at the imagery and, based on the evidence available, I think the primary premise/advice is off the mark. Could be wrong, of course.

6 pages of people trying to help someone who does not actually want MA. Get video of you "playing on the hill with the ideas offered" outside of gates, if you truly want advice. You will not make the improvements you seek while running gates. Instead, it will take many hours on the green trails executing precise movements slowly. Read about how Shiffrin trains:

It is all about her practiced, drilled and refined movements. Absolutely.

That is how she was taught to ski, and how she learned as a tiny toddler, spending hours with her mother...basically doing drills. To this day, she finds doing drills and practicing movements to be enjoyable and relaxing.

My understanding is that she pretty rarely free skis. He fun for her seems to be to refine the precision. I have seen her, often with a coach and her mother, sometimes with just her mother, spending hours doing this at Gold Peak {Vail} and at Highlands in Aspen. Often, but not always on trails that are roped off for her dedicated use.

I’ve seen them riding a lift, engaged in animated conversation, even laughing....so my assumption has always been that it’s fun. It’s obviously “work” and a directed activity with a specific purpose.
Seems to have worked...pretty well.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have played on the hill with the ideas offered, looked at the imagery and, based on the evidence available, I think the primary premise/advice is off the mark. Could be wrong, of course.

As far as clinics, I am open to ideas.

Hmmmm, from what I've been reading in this thread, either you're not understanding the advice or you're not implementing it correctly on the snow.
The advice has been quite good from several people here.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm in the camp whatever the boot/setup if you are good you are good. Ted Ligety would beat me in rental boots. Boots will adjust to your skiing somewhat too. But I understand why some people say boots may be not setup right.
You can be in that camp all you want but boot set up can mean everything based on the skiers physiology.
While Ted Ligety could beat you in rental boots, he could probably beat you on snow blades too.
Boot set up is one of the most important things to any skier, even a beginner.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I do not ignore anything, thanks for suggestions! Just trying to keep replies to a minimum when do not have anything useful to say.
I have played on the hill with the ideas offered, looked at the imagery and, based on the evidence available, I think the primary premise/advice is off the mark. Could be wrong, of course.....

You say you have understood everything people have said, played around with each of the suggestions on snow (at least one attempt per suggestion I guess since you haven't reported back about your attempts), found the suggestions ineffective in some way, and have concluded that in each and every case the "primary premise/advice is off the mark."

--That means that you assume you can tell if you are doing the suggestions properly (not likely).
--It means you assume that when you successfully put a suggestion into your skiing, immediate changes for the better will be perceivable by you (no, quite the contrary; things will feel awful at first because everything else will need to be adjusted to the new thing you are doing).
--It means you assume one try is enough to conclude that the suggestion and/or the premise upon which it is based is off the mark (short attempts are never enough, not when dysfunctional habits are as deeply embedded as are yours; worthwhile change takes time, seasons of deliberate intentional work at implementing new stuff will be required if you want real change).
--You also assume not reporting back about your attempts is OK (nope, it's seriously rude; it also implies you are deeply resistant to advice).

Amazing. You don't know how ski skills are built. Your previous experience working under a coach did not provide you a good model of how coaches work with athletes. I think this internet task of helping you is hopeless, because you are not willing in any meaningful way to work with advice-givers. There is no real communication going on in this thread between you and any of us. All the information is going into a black hole and nothing is coming back out. You are truly stuck and unreachable.

I usually hold out hope longer than others. I've lost it now, so I'm going to try to avoid posting in this thread again as it's not worth my time. We clearly are gluttons for punishment if we continue talking with you.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You say you have understood everything people have said, played around with each of the suggestions on snow (at least once I guess since you haven't reported back after your attempts), found the suggestions ineffective in some way, and have concluded that in each and every case the "primary premise/advice is off the mark."

--That means that you assume you can tell if you are doing the suggestions properly (not likely).
--It means you assume that when you successfully put a suggestion into your skiing, immediate changes for the better will be perceivable by you (no, quite the contrary; things will feel awful at first because everything else will need to be adjusted to the new thing you are doing).
--It means you assume one try is enough to conclude that the suggestion and/or the premise upon which it is based is off the mark (short attempts are never enough, not when dysfunctional habits are as deeply embedded as are yours).
--You also assume not reporting back about your attempts is OK (nope, it's seriously rude).

Amazing. You don't know how ski skills are built. Your previous experience working under a coach was not a good model. I think this internet task of helping you is hopeless. I usually hold out hope longer than others. But I'm going to try to avoid posting in this thread from now on, as it's not worth my time. We clearly are gluttons for punishment if we continue talking with you.
I have to agree with this.
@asolo find a good coach or instructor and work with him/her in person. It really is the best path for you.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

No, you're not. It wouldn't be worth your while, nor the coach's, though I'm sure they'd appreciate their fee.
Dude, what the heck are you talking about?

For a "clinic" to work you have to have undivided attention of a person that actually knows what they are doing (which in itself is a tall order), and then have a continuous try-observe-get-feedback loop. Not going to happen for the wast majority of us. Been there, wasted money, not doing it again.

So forget the clinic, tell me what to do on the hill. If it is physically possible I'll try it.

It's like the "get forward" thing. I got forward, hanging my chest over the ski tips. It was awkward, but I patiently tried. Double ejected forward over the tips on a snow inconsistency. Continued some more. People looked at me like I was insane, can only imagine what it looked like. Things did not get better. What next?

Folding at the waist is not 'getting forward'. For you, it's a necessary compensation move to maintain some semblance of sagital balance while finding the front of your ski. You've been told 'what next?' You need to go over your boot set up with a really knowledgeable fitter/coach. Until then, you'll remain in rinse and repeat land wondering why the lint trap smells bad.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You can be in that camp all you want but boot set up can mean everything based on the skiers physiology.
While Ted Ligety could beat you in rental boots, he could probably beat you on snow blades too.
Boot set up is one of the most important things to any skier, even a beginner.

And he certainly wouldn't be competitive in WC in rental boots. He wouldn't have even gotten to the starting gate.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

Refer to post #74. You are evaluating the suggestions within your belief system, but your belief system is the problem -- you simply cannot evaluate the changes as everything you use to evaluate your performance is internal and based on that flawed belief system. Before you can make the changes needed, you are going to need to reject your belief system. You will need to accept that it is misleading you, how it needs to change, and why.

IMHO, there's two ways forward: you can try to figure it out on your own, a choice that is unlikely to be successful. Or you can hire a highly skilled coach and see if he can get you over the hump of your belief system. It will be expensive and difficult to do. It will take a lot of work. It will not happen in a single day, or even a few days.

I can recommend a few people who may be able to help you -- not any run-of-the-mill Level 3 instructor will likely work. Instead, you are going to need a coach who can lead you to water -- but you are going to have to drink.

Mike

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
@asolo find a good coach or instructor and work with him/her in person. It really is the best path for you.
@asolo, are you actively involved in Eldora masters? Find the one or two of those coaches who you click with, and really spend time with them. They *will* spend time with you out of gates. They know what they're talking about. It's clear from video and your (inaccurate) description of your skiing that you need to pare back and really work on fundamentals if you want to improve. You can be marginally effective skiing like you are now, but the clock doesn't lie.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
Well if somebody talks to you and you say nothing, that's rude right? Especially when it's you started the conversation. I'd rather be told f you than spending 30 minutes on a genuinely sincere post (although it might suck) and getting ignored. Saying f you at least interacts you.

Thank you! Appreciate the offer, but I am at the hill 4 days a week and anything more would probably "break the time bank" :)

As far as answering every message, it would lead to the exponential explosion in the messages, which is probably counter productive. I would love to answer some, but I know I'd better not ;)

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier

Most of us (certainly not me) do not have the amount of resources to hire an expert for long enough to matter.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok. This thread has run its course and is going in circles at this point. We'll be locking it.

Thank you @asolo for being brave enough to post a video for MA, and thank you all for the analysis. Keep in mind that your posts are read by, and helpful to, a multitude of people. Not just the original poster. It's all good

:beercheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.