• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MA on easy groomer turns

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Made a few turns on a easy groomer, would appreciate any pointers from the fourm. Thanks.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nice turns.

Be interesting to see if anybody picks on something given that you skied that terrain pretty well and there's not a lot of front on shots.

Personally I'd need to see you ski something a little steeper and with a specific objective (e.g. ski 3 cat tracks wide, rounded linked turns keeping a constant, advanced speed) and then maybe something would emerge. If not, would keep upping the objective (e.g narrow the track width, faster speed) until it does.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure there's something in there to pick apart, but you were going too fast for me to see. ;) :thumb:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
There’s a lot to like in your skiing — you are getting the ski engaged and carving nicely. And nice skis!

What is most obvious to me is the lack of movement in your skiing. You change edges quickly, establish edge, let the ski bend, but then just ride to late in the finish of the turn. I’d like to see if you could actually move move —. Build edge angle not simply at the initiation of the turn, but through the apex and maybe into the late shaping, then start the process of untipping the ski. While you may not wish to build the edge angles that are in the video below, notice how the skiers are almost always in motion — the legs are working independently, getting longer and shorter, but over the whole turn.

TS
slowrider

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I will try to get a steeper, bigger angles front on footage next week.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm in agreement with @Mike King about being dynamic. In some sections you switch up the turn size and I like that. When you do what Mike suggests, you'll end up going faster with more edge angles. If you are comfy with your skiing as is, then carry on. You are balanced, initiating turns nicely. If your desire is to progress, then you are starting with a solid implementation of skills that will aid you in your progression.

TS
slowrider

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Thanks for the replies and valuable tips. I can ski at a more dynamic level but it sure takes alot more physical energy at my age 67. I will give it my best effort next video. Have sometime this weekend and will focus on long/short leg.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Besides dynamic, just some short turns would be good. Slow short turns are a great "revealer" of our weaknesses!

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Whatever you feel like slowrider :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What you could, if you wanted to try something, is:
add more angulation (keep spine vertical from hips up, while legs incline underneath as skis tip;
add more counter rotation, ski in and out of counter while upper body does a better job of facing the general direction of travel;
the above will help you continue to tighten the turn until the apex as you shorten the inside leg;
at bigger angles, you may need to swing that inside knee inside out of the way, but it's no problem at those angles.
That ought to be enough to work on for now.
Of course that's only if you want to.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
A few things really popped out to me.

You vary your stance width throughout the turn, and step into your turns. Try to keep your legs a consistent distance apart, and initiate with both feet at the same time.

Your weight seems a bit back, try getting centered on the skis

But the big thing, as others have said, you're too stiff and static. Your lower body joints barely flex after you've initiated your turn. This leads to you being locked into a turn shape and size based on the sidecut of your skis. Yes, you're leaving railroad tracks, but that's because you're putting the skis on edge and riding them. You haven't shown that you can vary the size of you carving turns.

A symptom of this stiffness is the excessive lead change in your turns. Try shortening the inside leg instead of pushing it forward.

This stiffness also means changes in terrain affects you more than they should.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I'm the last one that should be commenting on others form, but i see the same thing.. stiffness and you look to use the ski from the center back, not really engaging the tips.. Then I saw you're 68.. I hope I can rip half as well as you can at your age.. :beercheer:

TS
slowrider

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It looks like I'm going to have to step up to the plate on my next learn to ski video. Thanks all.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Studying the video carefully, I can tell you need to drink more IPA, chase women, ski every day, and start building a boat in your basement for the summer. Oh, and there's a down stem with your left foot at 1:46 on some steeper terrain.

Sponsor