• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MA analysis please - inside leg turning faster?

Galun

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I transplanted here when epicski shut down. I remember there were lots of great skiers / racers there offering MA advice. This seems to be the forum to post MA request and I apologize in advance if this is not the right place Please take a look at the following video, particularly the turns at 15 - 19 seconds. I will ask my coaches later when I see them, but I'd like a little bit of a head start.

When I zoom in, I see that my inside leg turn faster than my outside leg. It's like my outside leg is trying to catch up. What should I do to fix this so I can be faster? Pull back the inside leg? Also, was I hip dumping? I didn't think so... but I think a common symptom of hip dumping was mismatched skis.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yes your inside ski is turning faster as you say. Well the reality is your weight is on it , and your alignment is WAY too strong (IE bow leggged) which makes it very hard to balance on the outside ski and then it washes out.

With out being there I am not sure if its the angle of the femur coming out of the pelvis or your lower leg angle, but you either need to move the cuff in, or to cant under the boots with the high side on the outer edge.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
What is your focus through transition? How do you think about releasing the old turn and starting the turn?

TS
G

Galun

Booting up
Skier
What is your focus through transition? How do you think about releasing the old turn and starting the turn?

Wasn’t think too much honestly. In fact I had a drink before this run. I used to overthink things and I found out that I do better whn I am relaxed (like after a drink). However I do lots of drills when I free ski and get back on a groomed run. That stuff carry over to the gates even when I am relaxed.

I used to sit back and my coach asked me to “ski with love” like you are f*cking. That actually helped a lot. I try to initiate early by mentally trying to show people uphill the underside of my skis (at the high part of the C). I think “up and over” and maybe that’s why I lead a bit with my inside leg?

I’ve had a recurring problem of inside ski being further out (leading?) the outside ski. Maybe I tip the inside ski to initiate the turn? I am not entirely sure.

Josh - thanks for the suggestion to look at boot canting. I will talk to some boot fitters and see. It certainly does look like my inside leg is bowed out.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
“ski with love” like you are f*cking
Then you're done by the second gate.:roflmao:
It does look almost like your inside knee is tipping out, giving that ski much more edge. Cant may be an issue. Have you ever had a knee or leg injury that may be causing something to go funky? On either leg?

TS
G

Galun

Booting up
Skier
Then you're done by the second gate.:roflmao:
It does look almost like your inside knee is tipping out, giving that ski much more edge. Cant may be an issue. Have you ever had a knee or leg injury that may be causing something to go funky? On either leg?

Hey! LOL.

The same thing happens on left and right turns - see the screen shot of my approach to the delay. It’s certainly a technique issue somewhere. By the gate my outside ski is caught up. But before it’s like my outside ski is taking the long way around.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The weight transfer as you finish the prior turn looks to be almost all on your new inside edge. I know what needs to be done but I'm not sure how to explain it. I was having a similar issue just skiing where I wasn't engaging the new outside ski. You pull the old outside ski back as you transfer weight and lean further down the hill. That engages the new outside ski higher in the turn. It feels weird but it works. Someone else will be able to explain it better.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
IMO you are driving your inside knee too much into the turn this is putting you back and inside. I would like to see your balance point a bit further forward underfoot, especially at the top of the turn. Also more pressure directed to the outside ski earlier. Think more about extending the outside ski laterally to the edge to build pressure and edge angle from the dominant ski rather than the inside ski. This will also help with the "dreaded" up movement so many people hate these days.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The inside ski looks to be shooting forward very early in the new turn. Galun, what is your impression on that point while skiing?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Equipment: fix your alignment, looks too strong
Technique: dorsiflexion and get forward - the ski will have a hard time turning from the tails
Tactics: stop sending your shoulders towards the gate. As your feet are tipping on edge, tip your shoulders to the outside, away from the gate

That inside ski doesn't look like a problem right now, you got bigger fish to fry...

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5865.PNG

That's what they're talking about for alignment issues.

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
Well if you want a bit of cause and effect. Driving your inside knee too much into the turn causes pelvis/hip rotation, which you have. This in turn pushes you inside and aft. It also causes you to have a hard time releasing the ski, at transition, hence the shoulder rotation. But again, Razi is a “high level” ski coach so you should probably just listen to him. No other opinions are really valid at this point.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think a few here have nailed it. Alignment must be sorted first, then new movement to access more biomechanically efficient and functional outcomes. Everything else is sort of blaming a cold on a runny nose.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think @Loki1 is also a race coach, I seem to remember from epic days and that cause and effect is correct, but we see different things, which is fairly normal... No need to get worked up about that though - I meant the inside divergence he had mentioned was not an issue...

IMHO...

Bowlegged looks like knee drive...

However, to explain what I see: driving the inside knee would not put him back when the skis are flat and would not lean him into to the gate. Plus, he stops driving it at pretty small angles - I would not really call that tipping, but the lack of dorsiflexion and being so far back would not allow even that to work. Not using the feet and ankles at all is a big part of the problem.

He's way back before the turn even begins, and not because of the flexion, but because he's squatted and pushed the new outside foot in front:

Screenshot_20190215-074238_Chrome.jpg

And I don't see a big knee drive here, although he is already rotated:

Screenshot_20190215-074317_Chrome.jpg

While his outside leg is likely still fighting a strong cuff:

Screenshot_20190215-004329_Chrome.jpg

edit/ likely @markojp is right - maybe that lean is also from the strong alignment... he probably can't fix that before the alignment is sorted, anyways...

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Galun here's a good visual difference - watch your ankles/shin pressure after the release, especially on the new outside leg:

screenshot_20190215-074238_chrome-jpg.65687

versus this:

hh-shins.jpg

No amount of "knee drive" - not that you have any - would put you back at this most important point at the beginning of the turn, unless @Loki1 has discovered some biomechanics I don't know yet... ;)

cheers

Sponsor

Staff online