• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LV boot fit experience

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Had an interesting experience tonight with boots. Currently in an Atomic Hawx Ultra 100, MP 29.5. Found that they are too much volume for my low volume foot. I’m 6’4”, 180 lb, and have feet that look like they went through a roller. Also I’m finding the boot is too soft for me, though the volume makes them way softer.

Spent 2.5 hours at the shop trying some alternatives and wanted to share my experience with options. I know everyone is different but what I may find bad, another may need. All are size 28.5. Like most, I’ve finally learned that I want a firm hold around my foot, especially for a new boot. Here’s my completely subjective findings for each boot.

Atomic Hawx Ultra 110: Second lowest instep tried on and second most secure heel. Highest cuff shaft and tied tightest cuff. Medial arch area is the most voluminous of the ones tried, meaning there felt like less support. Tightest in the forefoot. Definitely the smallest toe box, by a ton. My toes were pushed up against the front even when leaning forward, at the front/inner/outer everywhere. Possibly could work but the footer is concerned that too much toe punching and grinding would be needed for what the boot can support. Shell fit showed I probably can’t get a pencil behind my heel.

Lange Shadow 130 LV: Way more volume than the Hawx Ultra. The heel hold but I felt it was a lot of foam instead of shell doing that. The forefoot wasn’t bad but I would want more of a firm hold up to my metatarsal heads. Good on toe room (I do appreciate the ability to wiggle my piggies). Instep was way too big for an LV, at least for my foot. The cuff was also incredibly voluminous and too low for my long legs. Even with a spoiler I couldn’t get it to really cinch around my leg. Not the boot for me and I would almost call this a low-mid volume.

Rossignol High Speed Elite 130 LV: This was the strangest fit of the bunch for me. Highest instep of those tried. Cuff is a lot like the Lange. What made it strange is that the arch felt real tight but the shell almost felt like it didn’t narrow to the heel, almost like it’s straight back. That made the arch hurt and heel not hold. Again, just me and I am sure it is perfect for a different foot.

Salomon S/Pro Alpha 120: First, holy hell is it hard to get into this boot. My left foot big toe has about 45 degrees of available extension so entry can be tough for me. Entry got a little easier after doing it a couple times but not sure I can get this one on once cold. Luckily I am good at pulling boots off so that’s no problem. The heel is as tight as the Hawx Ultra but with a bit more heel pocket, which works for my foot. The medial arch area is also tighter than the Ultra but I luckily don’t have navicular issues (someone who does may need a punch or full mold). This boot is snug on the sides from the arch back. No chance of my heel lifting in this thing. Cuff is almost aa high as the Ultra and just as tight. Instep is a hair more than the Ultra but not by much. Forefoot is also a hair more than the Ultra. I’d have to punch the Ultra at my bunion but this boot may just barely not need it (maybe). Toe box may be my favorite of them all. My toes are able to be right where they want. I’m not used to that so it was almost strange. These have more toe room than my size 29.5 Ultras.

Salomon S/Pro Alpha 110: The surprise. Yes it’s the same mold as the 120 but a different liner. Want to feel how much a liner can change a boot? Try on this and the 120. This liner has a lot more foam and the foam is softer. First entry (which is a lot easier than the 120) made me think I finally found an instep that’s too tight. The shell initially didn’t fully close at the instep but it closed as I closed the cuff. The whole boot from metatarsal back was tight because of the extra foam. Within a few minutes the instep was still snug but not opening the shell. It seemed that the softer thick foam would pack out and likely end up where the 120 does, but that’s just a guess. Also, the difference in stiffness between 110 and 120 seemed like more than I was expecting but maybe that’s normal. Think I like the higher end liner of the 120 but it was fun to try.

There you have it, that’s what I came up with after a lot of shop time talking with a real nice fitter. He seemed to enjoy hearing how each fit and that I kept wanting to try more at the lower size.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Proof again that the metric system and measuring last/volume is completely subjective.
100%!! My foot and feelings are obviously unique (I’m a special snowflake). Someone else may have a foot that needs something I found to be a negative. Hopefully this helps them consider a boot their fitter didn’t have in stock. Beyond the Head Formula RS 120 and maybe a Fischer, I’m not sure what else to even try.

I was given the amazing opportunity to demo the Salomon this weekend so we will see. If it doesn’t work, I’m leaning towards the Hawx Ultra where we punch and/or grind the toe box as much as we can. My only concern is that I already have damaged big toe joints and Raynauds so crunching toes isn’t ideal. We will see.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a pair of Salomon S/pro Alpha 120s for the weekend as a demo. They are used but the liners are far from worn out. So far my main concern is that I have the upper cuff clasp on the tightest point and buckle about half way on it. That’s with a spoiler. My legs are just so long that most of my calf is outside of the boot. We will see but an atomic Hawx ultra with a lot of toe work may be the only option left, unless we come up with another.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks. I’ve had two fitters now tell me that this would probably not be a good option for my foot/leg.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If a Hybrid "beef" boot works:

24/25 Salomon Boots

Shift Alpha BOA new hybrid touring boot for narrow feet.
revamped walk mode with Salomon FreeSpine plastic bar links cuff and lower shell, eliminating the break in energy transfer that occurs with many touring boots. As a result, greater power and control. Shift Alpha BOA 130, 120, 110, 115W, & 95W All EXCEPT the 120 and 110 start at 22.5, 120 and 110 start at 24.5

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 6.01.02 PM.png

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Skied the S/Pro Alpha 120 in MP 28.5 today. Had to take it easy being my first time back after foot tendon strains back in early January. Coming from a Hawx Ultra 100 in MP 29.5. I love the added stiffness, it’s definitely not too stiff for me. Also like the extra tightness and support by going down a size. The S/Pro Alpha is almost good out of the box. Toes have enough room but I’d probably get a super small punch at my bunion. Two problems: 1) it’s just small enough at the instep now and I’m thinking will get loose too quickly. 2) Only have 3 catches left on the upper buckle and am mid on the next down with both catches at the smallest locations. That doesn’t leave much as it packs out.

Thinking I either need to find an Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 in size 28.5 (my shop is sold out of them) and get the toes punched/ground or get the Atomic volume reducer. Maybe both. Meeting with the fitter this week to see where we go.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Spoke with the fitter today. He already knew what my answer was going to be and preemptively ordered a Hawx Ultra 120 for me, since they are sold out there. He’s also letting me use the S/Pro Alphas for another weekend so I don’t miss a ski day. Seems someone is going to get some beer!

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Update Time. Recap, I skied the S/Pro Alpha 120 for two days and wanted to try the Hawx Ultra 120. The Ultra 120s came in and it is yet another example of the liner being as critical as the shell. It’s also a great example of my foot is not your foot. Full disclosure, I went in thinking this was going to be the boot. Put the boot on and… wait this doesn’t feel at all like the 110. Toes have a lot more room in the Ultra 120 as compared to the 110, which we are thinking is due to the different foam at the heel and neoprene at the toes. I also felt like there was a bit more room from arch forward but the fitter and I didn’t think that could be and chalked it up to perception. Heat molded the liner and I was off to ski a few warm day runs. Well, I can’t say it was the awesome experience I expected. That perceived room was real and let my foot move a bit, which I don’t like. Back to the fitter.

I spent some time in both the S/Pro and Hawx at the store. Here’s what my foot felt. The Hawx are a hair lower at the instep and the cuff is a hair smaller, at most worth one buckle rung. What surprised me is that the Hawx have more room forward of the instep, both height and width. This was proven because I would want a bunion punch in the S/Pro but definitely don’t need it for the Hawx. Heel width is about equal for both but S/Pro heel pocket is a bit deeper or more pronounced at the Achilles.

Where that leaves me is I either go with the S/Pro or have to drive many hours to a shop that deals in the consumer race boot like a CS. That’s not something a shop in Pittsburgh seems to be willing to do. That kind of boot would sit around the store for years here.

Not looking for advice, just providing an update. Also a PSA to forget the reviews and try things on yourself. Also, try on different levels of the same boot because it may surprise you.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Update Time. Recap, I skied the S/Pro Alpha 120 for two days and wanted to try the Hawx Ultra 120. The Ultra 120s came in and it is yet another example of the liner being as critical as the shell. It’s also a great example of my foot is not your foot. Full disclosure, I went in thinking this was going to be the boot. Put the boot on and… wait this doesn’t feel at all like the 110. Toes have a lot more room in the Ultra 120 as compared to the 110, which we are thinking is due to the different foam at the heel and neoprene at the toes. I also felt like there was a bit more room from arch forward but the fitter and I didn’t think that could be and chalked it up to perception. Heat molded the liner and I was off to ski a few warm day runs. Well, I can’t say it was the awesome experience I expected. That perceived room was real and let my foot move a bit, which I don’t like. Back to the fitter.

I spent some time in both the S/Pro and Hawx at the store. Here’s what my foot felt. The Hawx are a hair lower at the instep and the cuff is a hair smaller, at most worth one buckle rung. What surprised me is that the Hawx have more room forward of the instep, both height and width. This was proven because I would want a bunion punch in the S/Pro but definitely don’t need it for the Hawx. Heel width is about equal for both but S/Pro heel pocket is a bit deeper or more pronounced at the Achilles.

Where that leaves me is I either go with the S/Pro or have to drive many hours to a shop that deals in the consumer race boot like a CS. That’s not something a shop in Pittsburgh seems to be willing to do. That kind of boot would sit around the store for years here.

Not looking for advice, just providing an update. Also a PSA to forget the reviews and try things on yourself. Also, try on different levels of the same boot because it may surprise you.

You're not looking for advice, but I'm going to give some anyhow. :)

My PSA is that liners lie. Do not try on boots and assess how they fit with the liners on your feet. If you really want to understand how the shells differ, put your bare feet into them and while sitting down, move your feet side-to-side, up-and-down, front-to-back. Take your time and really get a sense for how the shapes and the volume differs. And in the end, how well the shell matches your own anatomy.

Too many liners are very tight when new (even though the shell isn't tight) and the liner will break down and pack out before you know it, and then you're left with how well the plastic actually fits your foot. Don't let the liners lie to you.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
You're not looking for advice, but I'm going to give some anyhow. :)

My PSA is that liners lie. Do not try on boots and assess how they fit with the liners on your feet. If you really want to understand how the shells differ, put your bare feet into them and while sitting down, move your feet side-to-side, up-and-down, front-to-back. Take your time and really get a sense for how the shapes and the volume differs. And in the end, how well the shell matches your own anatomy.

Too many liners are very tight when new (even though the shell isn't tight) and the liner will break down and pack out before you know it, and then you're left with how well the plastic actually fits your foot. Don't let the liners lie to you.
100%. We did shell fits on all of these too. In the end though, too much room when new means way too much when used.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
I probably did a bad job of describing the Hawx Ultra 120 in comparison with the 110. Both shells are obviously the same size, the shell fit in both had about one pencil to one finger of space behind my heel (definitely a snug but good fit). Just like the Alpha 110 to 120, the ultra 110 liner seems to have more foam but that foam is softer compared to the 120. Also the 110 is the same liner material through the toes but the 12 has neoprene. This extra foam and no neoprene means in the 110 my toes were curled at the from and pushed hard against when flexed. In the 120 my toes were hard against and touching/against when flexed (which I’m good with). What I’m not good with is the bit of extra volume around the shell forward of the instep. I didn’t notice this with the 110 because of the extra foam.

Comparing the Ultra to Alpha in the 120. I felt less lateral support in the Ultra and it has a bit more shell volume forward of the instep. The Ultra instep is definitely a bit lower but not a huge difference and I feel the lower volume forward, added heal hold, and similar volume at the lower cuff buckle negates this in the Alpha. In the end, my foot is not yours and this is proven by how different my comparison of these boots is to some others that I have read. Try them on, try them all on, and feel for yourself. Even better, see if the shop has a lightly used one that you can try for a day.

Sponsor

Staff online