• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lusting after a bad idea of a car

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
True, but also, some cars have crazy depreciation. See above re: depreciation!

James

Out There
Instructor
The smart move would be to buy two of them. At least. One for parts.
If you’ve got the space.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
True, but also, some cars have crazy depreciation. See above re: depreciation!
Yeah. I bought a different model and make car in the high powered luxury sedan niche. It worked out fine for me until it sat idle for too long. If you don't plan on driving it in the winter I would check to see how that car does not being driven for a while. Some cars don't do well unless they are regularly driven.

The other thing I'd say from my experience is to drive it if you can in the winter only if rarely. Most cars do better being driven more regularly than sitting idle in storage. Rubber gaskets dry out and can crack, etc when idle.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Some 19 year old here wrecked and died after a 170mph+ highway patrol chase this week.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
149000 miles curb rash on all 4 wheels it was a trade in for a new RS7

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's why police pursuits are so stupid. They would eventually have gotten him anyway. Lucky he didn't kill anyone else (or at least I hope he didn't).
Can't believe they don't have EMP cannons available yet. People would stop trying to run if they had those.

When I drove fast cars I had an inline dash switch for my tail lights. Worked pretty well at night.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Brother's bike (my learner-cycle) had the brake light only connected to the rear brake pedal. Worked like a charm. To be honest, best practice was to use the rear brake to help stabilize things even though most of the stopping came from the front, but not showing your brake light more than made up for that....not that a cop car could keep up to a fast bike. Things were different in the '70s.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anybody else remember when this Viper Craigslist listing went viral? Click the right arrow on the middle right of photo to read the text that goes with it

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So anyway, yesterday after visiting the stealership where the S6 was (and the Q5 was also already sold) I went down the road to the used Audi place I've been talking to. He's actually very bullish on the V10 S6, says it's a pretty solid car and motor. Actually really big fans of A6s in general relative to A4s. My search continues...

Muleski

Inactive
C6 A6 3.0T Avant may be a good option. That's a very good ski/family car. Wonder what your used Audi guy thinks of them. I know a couple of car guys who love them, and have put a lot of miles on them. One is a mint stock one. The other has had some tweaking to the motor and suspension. Very nice. Worth a look?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do your due diligence, if all seems right and the little nagging voice in the head doesn't object, go for it, it might be the deal of the century. Everyone will envy you for it.

However should the slight thing feel wrong.....you could be into a world of hurt ($$$$) in repairs and everyone will laugh and say see....I told you so.

Tough decision.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still think the steal in this category is the Infiniti M35x/M45x.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a Lexus LS? This AWD 2008 LS 600h for $15,800 popped up on a search at a nearby MB dealer that gets some great trades. It was originally around $130K!

Should be very reliable:

Doug loves it:

I tried to talk my wife into it, but she's liking the idea of a GX at the moment. Damn SUVs.

@nay I wonder the math on your gas would work out paying for this executive limo as a ski vehicle. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do it....
If I were a better father, I'd buy it so our kids could use the seat massagers and heaters to and from school.

Instead, I'll hold out for a unicorn 6MT G37 sedan that my daughter will refuse to get in, like my current G35, because she gets car sick every time she rides in it. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid