• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lower back pain

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Back pain injury is usually a result of a weak core. Most people feel their back and do exercises to strengthen it, however they forget that to balance they need stomach muscles (aka core).

Tight glutes or hamstrings can also cause lower back pain. When mine acts up it’s normally a sign I need to stretch out my hamstrings. It tightens at the sciatic nerve and can cause some sharp pains.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of good recommendations. Many things can work. You have to find what works for you. In general, ice for the 1st 48 hour then heat during the day to loosen up the muscles and ice at night to decrease the inflammation that has occurred with all your activity during that day. Rest which means as much as possible avoiding the activities that cause more pain. Taking an anti-inflammatory/analgesic like ibuprofen (3 tablets 4 times a day) or naproxen (2 tablets twice a day) regularly for a week or two can help. Long term strengthening the core, hamstrings, quads and glutes can prevent further episodes of back pain. I’ve found that most people neglect the back and just work on the abs and hamstrings are notoriously weaker than quads. Make sure you’re using proper lifting and reaching technique even when lifting or reaching for light items. Warning symptoms of something serious going on are numbness in the saddle region (part of your body that would touch the saddle if sitting on a horse) and loss of bowel/bladder control. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Lifetime of lower back issues dating back to age 17 coming up short on a pole flip on bulletproof refrozen. Then reinjured same area moving furniture for a living in my early 20s. Hanging from a pull up bar or inversion boots is the best way to straighten mine back out. Heat helps too. Ice is only good when the injury is fresh to reduce swelling and inflamation. Heat promotes healing. Knocking on wood because mine acted up again last August and is just now starting to feel "sound" again.

James

Out There
Instructor
Walk if you can tolerate it. It moves fluid out of the spine. Just lying makes spine more rigid.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Lots of good recommendations. Many things can work. You have to find what works for you. In general, ice for the 1st 48 hour then heat during the day to loosen up the muscles and ice at night to decrease the inflammation that has occurred with all your activity during that day. Rest which means as much as possible avoiding the activities that cause more pain. Taking an anti-inflammatory/analgesic like ibuprofen (3 tablets 4 times a day) or naproxen (2 tablets twice a day) regularly for a week or two can help. Long term strengthening the core, hamstrings, quads and glutes can prevent further episodes of back pain. I’ve found that most people neglect the back and just work on the abs and hamstrings are notoriously weaker than quads. Make sure you’re using proper lifting and reaching technique even when lifting or reaching for light items. Warning symptoms of something serious going on are numbness in the saddle region (part of your body that would touch the saddle if sitting on a horse) and loss of bowel/bladder control. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

3 Advil/ 4 times per day?! Seems like way too much, no?

Thank you all for the advice; it’s all greatly appreciated. I will continue to try all this stuff, including getting into a better stretching and strength regime.

Feeling pretty good these last two days, with some tightness in the lower back that shows up after walking for a bit or laying down all night sleeping. Heat has been helping that.

So a few questions: I’d like to walk/hike for a bit tomorrow so I’m wondering at what point do I go to before exacerbating the situation? Is some tightness ok or should I avoid any discomfort in that area, for fear of making it worse?
When do I try and ski again? Ease back in on groomers in a few days?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Thank you all for the advice; it’s all greatly appreciated. I will continue to try all this stuff, including getting into a better stretching and strength regime.

Feeling pretty good these last two days, with some tightness in the lower back that shows up after walking for a bit or laying down all night sleeping. Heat has been helping that.

So a few questions: I’d like to walk/hike for a bit tomorrow so I’m wondering at what point do I go to before exacerbating the situation? Is some tightness ok or should I avoid any discomfort in that area, for fear of making it worse?
When do I try and ski again? Ease back in on groomers in a few days?

A medical professional would say to avoid activity until the real discomfort subsides or if you start an activity without discomfort, cease that activity when the discomfort crops up. We all know pain is the body’s warning sign to us.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't ask me, I'm the girl who goes cat skiing with a TENS unit and then is nearly immobile for days after.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
600mg of ibuprofen is a pretty typical dose. Alternately, you could take 800mg (4 tablets) three times a day. Ibuprofen can cause upset stomach and can increase the risk of bleeding (GI bleed, cerebral hemorrhage). If you have other medical conditions that increase these risks you should consult your doctor before taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs. If not, taking it with food or milk can decrease the stomach upset.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If this happens more than a few times you really need to go to a PhD level PT who specializes in performance, and have an MRI conducted. Most of us who are active have back issues. You need to have a deep understanding of your issues, an action plan to address the core drivers of your issues, and the discipline to execute. Take care of it now so that you can ski like Klaus, instead of being crippled in your old age.

If you are in CO make the trip to see Michael at the Howard Head Sports Medicine Center.

I’m just a few days out of stem cell treatment, and required to lay low. Friggin’ board out of my mind....

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd go for a short walk. If all's OK after that, I'd go for a longer walk. I'd keep making it longer and longer over a few days. I wouldn't ski until all symptoms disappear.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Further emphasis on a point martyg makes above: there is a significant amount of variation in the underlying causes of spinal/lower back pain - what works we'll for one person may not work at all for another. Be patient (I know, really hard!) and work your way through things until you find what works for you. If you're still getting no response after 2-3 tries with different approaches, ABSOLUTELY seek a qualified professional to first get an accurate diagnosis and then treatment.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Usually there's a stretch or two that helps my lower back pain. I cycle through various hamstring/hip flexor/glute stretches until I find something that hits the spot. This one has been helping lately:
Edit: you might want a couple of days rest to let things settle down before starting to stretch.
My wife showed me this stretch for my back, but her PT had her put her hands over the shin rather than the back of the thigh. Helps increase the intensity of the stretch once you get a little mobility. My back issues have been lifelong since falling through a wood bridge during a Scouts hike in poor light at dusk. Apparently a board was missing that no one told me about. Skiing itself doesn't bother my back, but fatigue and hamstring tightness does if I don't stretch regularly after skiing.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Further emphasis on a point martyg makes above: there is a significant amount of variation in the underlying causes of spinal/lower back pain - what works we'll for one person may not work at all for another. Be patient (I know, really hard!) and work your way through things until you find what works for you. If you're still getting no response after 2-3 tries with different approaches, ABSOLUTELY seek a qualified professional to first get an accurate diagnosis and then treatment.

Thanks Paul.

Here’s my take: I know a few subjects really deeply, and have been paid handsomely for my time in those fields. In most things, I know shit. Fortunately, I am wise enough to know when I know shit, and don’t wing it on some crap that I saw on YouTube ( or Dr. Pugski). In cases where I know shit, I seek out the best in their field, and pay them for their time. Good information allows me to make the best possible decision, which leads to the best possible outcome - in any domain.

You can go the trial and error route. However, what is your time worth? What is your ability to enjoy life in your later years worth?

So what if you seek out the absolute best, performance oriented PT in your area, and pay $500 for the best possible information over the course of a handful of visits? That is cheap, cheap, cheap.

Most would not think about paying $500 for skis or a new jacket. Where are your priorities? Bling? Or really building true capabilities and capacity, instead of building compensation because of a bodily structure that is compromised?

And the thing about compensation...... you don’t even know that you are doing it. And once it is identified, you have to have the humility to follow the direction of those who are smarter than you.

Recovering from stem cell injections now. So fucking bored out of my mind. But those who are smarter than me said to chill for several weeks, so that is what I am doing.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can do all kinds of core work and still have back problems.

Walking, heat, advil, sleep right, water. When you feel better stretch and light yoga.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a good idea to learn how to do everyday things better for back health.
Sitting, getting up from sitting, walking, sitting while driving. There’s actually a lot to be done in these areas that can help or at least not hurt.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If this happens more than a few times you really need to go to a PhD level PT who specializes in performance, and have an MRI conducted.
I'm not disputing seeking further evaluation which is always a good idea if standard treatment is not helping or you get worse. However, getting a MRI for low back pain is not sound advice as a blanket statement. Let your medical professional determine when MRI or other imaging or testing is needed based on you symptoms and physical exam findings. Different medical professionals will have different reasons and thresholds for ordering imaging so choose your medical professional carefully. From a traditional, allopathic medical standpoint, for low back pain MRI should be done when there are symptoms or physical exam findings suggestive of lumbar nerve root impingement. In the absence of those symptoms and signs MRI has not been found to be beneficial. Getting tests that are not indicated can lead to additional unnecessary testing and/or treatments which can lead to harm. That's my professional opinion from over 20 years of experience which is supported by the medical data.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm not disputing seeking further evaluation which is always a good idea if standard treatment is not helping or you get worse. However, getting a MRI for low back pain is not sound advice as a blanket statement. Let your medical professional determine when MRI or other imaging or testing is needed based on you symptoms and physical exam findings. Different medical professionals will have different reasons and thresholds for ordering imaging so choose your medical professional carefully. From a traditional, allopathic medical standpoint, for low back pain MRI should be done when there are symptoms or physical exam findings suggestive of lumbar nerve root impingement. In the absence of those symptoms and signs MRI has not been found to be beneficial. Getting tests that are not indicated can lead to additional unnecessary testing and/or treatments which can lead to harm. That's my professional opinion from over 20 years of experience which is supported by the medical data.

In my case I bit the bullet and had an MRI done of my lower back. I had a second MRI executed, at twice the cost, of my hips. It turns out that my left hip was the driver of back issues.

Recovering from stem cell treatment at The Steadman Clinic for the next 5 weeks.

If I had not been an anal retentive dick about it, we’d still be guessing. I totally didn’t mind writing that check to really understand what was going on.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
In my case I bit the bullet and had an MRI done of my lower back. The first MRI was maybe 10 years ago, and showed nothing earth shattering. This time, in addition to a lumbar MRI, I had a second MRI executed, at twice the cost, of my hips. It turns out that my left hip was the driver of back issues.

Recovering from stem cell treatment at The Steadman Clinic for the next 5 weeks. That is part one of a three part approach.

If I had not been an anal retentive dick about it, we’d still be guessing. I totally didn’t mind writing that check to really understand what was going on. It yielded huge insights for me. YMMV.