• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lower back pain

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh neat, i have this too. Apparently it's not wildly uncommon, but i haven't come across anyone else who has it - I suppose not everyone has had such enduring back pain that they've ended up with an xray of their spine!

My PT work echoes the same thing everyone else in this thread has said. Stretch the hip flexors, strengthen the core, also strengthen the glutes (to help stop the pelvis falling into APT) . I have some gentle mobility work as many of my lumbar vertebrae have such tight musculature surrounding them that they're effectively locked in place, causing my spine to "hinge" in certain spots when i bend it. (rather than the whole spine curving) These locked vertebrae should be fixed/relaxed in the long term as a result of the rest of the PT work I'm doing, hopefully.
Glad to hear your getting PT advice! Not just gluts, but medial gluts on side of your hips. in the PT clinical setting we do the resisted T-band walks and forward backward resisted steps.
Also kicks in the 'Multifidus' musculature which is part of your back extensors and a vital part to your 'core'.

This is an advanced way to do them. If your fit you should like the higher level way to do them, if this is too hard don't do the 2nd T-band on the upper thighs.

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is another one we do in the PT clinic daily. Strong hips = proper femur and knee cap tracking via the glut meds role in preventing excessive internal rotation and adduction of the femur. Again this exercise activates the multifidus which results in a stronger core!

cragginshred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another game changer for me. These are kinda spendy but going back to the amount we all sit driving to and from our recreating and work ect it's a vital part of a healthy low back.

I go from the prone release technique straight to the 1/2 kneel on pad hip flexor stretch because it is the most effective! Hip flexor stretching without the release part is not as effective. they can lock down and pull on your back.

No cream, belt or any other band aid approach which only addresses symptoms not the cause can aid in any long term difference. Once you do this you can certainly use some Bio freeze or similar which is helpful too but cannot provide a stretch to release the pull of the tight musculature -the cause of the pain!

Last clinical note, you can actually have mechanical spinal issues or disc involvement and not have pain if properly stretched and core strengthening done regularly.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online