• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lower back pain

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I tweaked my lower back pretty good today skiing the amazing moguls at Mary Jane (No Pain No Jane!)
What’s your recommendation for recovery? Rest, Advil and ice? Or a heat pad?
Thanks.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Resting is the best medicine. Ice within the first 24hrs, the sooner the better, then heat. If no improvement in a few days, go see a MD.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My back pain typically is the result of knee surgery resulting in non-symetric walking/posture. I reserve the diazapam that I am prescribed for controlling the post-op pain for later when my sciatica acts up. A heating pad helps me a lot. I do extra stretching and yoga, too. If all of that still leaves me in pain, I go see Dr. Hebert, a local chiropractor. He is quite adept at getting me aligned and recovering. He never needs more than a couple visits to get me back on track.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
my spouse had done the above but has found a TENS muscle simulator great for occasional pain relief.

Doesn't cure the driving issues but she has found it great when she tweaks the back and can't really get to stretching or other forms of physical relief.

Inversion table has helped her too, but she does other exercises as noted in other posts for long term benefit.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rest-Ice-some moderate stretching. I also use Biofreeze before activity when I’m having some soreness.

12DAAD24-DF7B-4BF2-83C7-9EDEFFF5D895.jpeg

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ve been icing regularly all day while working, resting it and putting on Arnica, a homeopathic my wife has that she swears by. It’s headed in the right direction. Should I switch to heat now (it’s been over 24 hours)?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ve been icing regularly all day while working, resting it and putting on Arnica, a homeopathic my wife has that she swears by. It’s headed in the right direction. Should I switch to heat now (it’s been over 24 hours)?

My son the med student says ice for the 1st 48-72 hours. From that point on heat or ice or alternating both, whichever ver gives you the best relief.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Glad you're feeling better, yes to Arnica all the way, TENS, slow gentle stretches, Bio freeze or Z-max or Lidocaine if they work for you,heat or ice, rest

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
And just like that, I’m stiff/sore as hell this morning. Going to try an epsom salt bath.

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems like Mary Jane is both the problem and the solution here.

But really...the stretches posted above, but don't push them until you're ready, they should feel good, not cause more pain. And Icy Hot patches can be miracle workers.
So the patch or cream work? It really gets deep enough to help?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I tweaked my back about two years ago, I found the cream only worked well when you put a lot on and didn't rub it all the way in. So I really liked the patches since I could wear them at work and not get the cream all over my clothes. YMMV

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Once you get past the current acute issue, don't think you're home free - this will follow you for the rest of your life. Start a long-term stretching and strengthening program, gradually building up to be even stronger than you were going in.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back pain injury is usually a result of a weak core. Most people feel their back and do exercises to strengthen it, however they forget that to balance they need stomach muscles (aka core).

The reason the core gets missed is it usually doesn’t give pain unless load intentionally (exercise), but it provides the counter balance to the back muscles.

So work on your core.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back pain injury is usually a result of a weak core. Most people feel their back and do exercises to strengthen it, however they forget that to balance they need stomach muscles (aka core).

The reason the core gets missed is it usually doesn’t give pain unless load intentionally (exercise), but it provides the counter balance to the back muscles.

So work on your core.
And the stomach muscles take a lot more work than most people think.

I have periodic low back pain.
I used to do 100 crunches a day and in the last 3 years I upped it to 300, now 400, 5 days a week.

Sponsor

Staff online