• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Low Light and Sun Lens Recommendations

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I found out is that the Smiths don't come in a low-light lens yet. This is a deal breaker for me.

Huh??........ Just tried on the Chromapop Storm lens this weekend. Some of the new Smith's come w/ 2 lenses. It's even better than my Blue Sensor Mirror (BSM) that I use for east coast storm days. I like the BSM much better than all of my Yellow lenses for dark stormy days.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh??........ Just tried on the Chromapop Storm lens this weekend. Some of the new Smith's come w/ 2 lenses. It's even better than my Blue Sensor Mirror (BSM) that I use for east coast storm days. I like the BSM much better than all of my Yellow lenses for dark stormy days.
Can you provide me a link to this lens anywhere online then? Their website showed no such thing, from what I could tell.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can you provide me a link to this lens anywhere online then? Their website showed no such thing, from what I could tell.
Sure........... here is a Google on it! https://www.google.com/search?q=Smi...omapop+storm&tbm=shop&spd=1427212802843215980

another: http://snowboarding.transworld.net/...ith-chromapop-storm-lens/#AGHoQFq8h81awP8q.97

Yes very strange I also couldn't find them on the Smith website but check in at your local shop, that's where I found them! All the Smith high end Chromapop goggles they had in stock came w/ two sets of lenses "Bright" and "Storm" :)

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
Some online retailers, including Backcountry and the Smith Optics site itself, are sold out of the Chromapop Storm lens that fits the I/OX goggle. I just ordered the lens @ 20% off from a site called tactics.com and will report in with impressions once I ski with it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure........... here is a Google on it! https://www.google.com/search?q=Smi...omapop+storm&tbm=shop&spd=1427212802843215980

another: http://snowboarding.transworld.net/...ith-chromapop-storm-lens/#AGHoQFq8h81awP8q.97

Yes very strange I also couldn't find them on the Smith website but check in at your local shop, that's where I found them! All the Smith high end Chromapop goggles they had in stock came w/ two sets of lenses "Bright" and "Storm" :)
Thanks, @Yo Momma! Glad to know I'm not crazy that I couldn't find them on the Smith website! I'll have to see if they carry them at our shop on the hill. Hard to pass up the big discount I'll get. They'll have to be that much better than my Prizms for me to buy them, though. And fit well.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They'll have to be that much better than my Prizms for me to buy them, though. And fit well.

I had the same issue. For the price, the visuals just weren't that much better than my older Blue Sensor Mirrors. Don't get me wrong, the Chromapop lens definitely offered more clarity but not that much for the price of new goggles. Also had to take into account that most of the online reviews I've seen are saying that there are some ventilation issues w/ the new Smith line. Zero issues w/ my current lenses. Smith makes Chromapop lenses for my goggles @$67 but some are having issues fitting them into the frame......... oh well....... talk is cheap! ............ just rethought about it.......... $67 is not bad.....just ordered the Chromopop Storm replacement lenses for my Prophecy goggles........... I'll let you know how they work out! LOL

Here we go again, I'm flip flopping and making Flippy Floppy!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the same issue. For the price, the visuals just weren't that much better than my older Blue Sensor Mirrors. Don't get me wrong, the Chromapop lens definitely offered more clarity but not that much for the price of new goggles. Also had to take into account that most of the online reviews I've seen are saying that there are some ventilation issues w/ the new Smith line. Zero issues w/ my current lenses. Smith makes Chromapop lenses for my goggles @$67 but some are having issues fitting them into the frame......... oh well....... talk is cheap! ............ just rethought about it.......... $67 is not bad.....just ordered the Chromopop Storm replacement lenses for my Prophecy goggles........... I'll let you know how they work out! LOL

Here we go again, I'm flip flopping and making Flippy Floppy!

LOL! Hey, nothing wrong with being flexible!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got new unused Smith lenses, sun chromapop in a new frame, storm chromapop in an old frame, waiting for service.

I also picked up an Oakley FD with a prism rose lens. Let the cage match begin.

If a lens has a fog issue in UT it would be like skiing Stowe?

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used the Prizm Torch Iridium this weekend in weather that I normally would prefer VR50 Pink. I was amazed at the clarity and definition. I will be using this lens 90% of the time now. Except for very storm days, and night skiing where I will switch to Hi Yellow.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Foggy and low light day here at Schweitzer with light snow coming down. Oakley High Yellow performed great.

AndesPride

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've got new unused Smith lenses, sun chromapop in a new frame, storm chromapop in an old frame, waiting for service.

I also picked up an Oakley FD with a prism rose lens. Let the cage match begin.

If a lens has a fog issue in UT it would be like skiing Stowe?

Hi Lorenzo, how was the match?? I´m just deciding between the prizm and the chromapop. Any advice??

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Lorenzo, how was the match?? I´m just deciding between the prizm and the chromapop. Any advice??
I give the nod to the Oakley in low or flat light and Chromapop in sun. That said, don't expect low light light miracles even with the Oakley.

Sponsor