• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
And that box is like 25 or 30 years old, right?
And still in perfect working order. Excellent quality and design. $50 on local Craigslist and even came with a bike tray inside.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is it mounted backwards? It looks like it from the pic.
Nope. Spoiler on the back, OG Rocket Box..

1586869217232.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A guy I ski with from time to time, a friend of a friend, he is an engineer that has difficulty holding down a job. He is the kind of guy that thinks he is technically skilled to do just about anything. But he rarely completes anything, and one thing he doesn't do is sharpen his skis. Because of the poor ski maintenance he has already broke his leg. When ever he is skiing in our group I make sure he stays in front of me so I can see what dumb thing he is going to do next.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Getting used to an NTN step in binding... the brake is sort of weird, but it's still in the realm of pilot error. Did I mention I loath my AT boots? About 5 degrees of forward lean in ski mode and stiff as bricks. They go up well, but ski like crap.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a good friend who I ski with frequently. To say that he is cheap would be the understatement of the century. He skis on his father's skis. That wouldn't be so bad except that his father has been dead for almost twenty years! He also wears his father's helmet! Over this past winter, one day he complained that he was cold. I told him that it might have something to do with his 10-12 year old jacket sans insulation. I finally had to give him a jacket because I felt so sorry for him. His gloves have holes in them, but I'm not buying him a new pair of gloves. He also snores like an elephant when we share a motel room (a very cheap hotel room). On one trip, his snoring kept me up until 3:00 am. In the morning. I told him that from now on we would each have to get our own rooms lest I kill him in the middle of the night. His response? "That's going to be expensive".

I think i have the same friend.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
We all have that 1 ski friend. I made the mistake of letting him decide where to ski twice. That was the last time.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
My Kulkea heated boot bag. I love it, but I'm 5'1", and it's ridiculously large on someone my size. I sometimes feel like I might topple over.

I covet a roofbox (we have a Thule rack, which is 12+ years old, been on 3 different cars) - but we live in a condo building with indoor parking and water lines running across the ceiling in the garage. And the max height is just too close for comfort to what even a thin roofbox might come in at for height with our snow tires on.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I love how they ski, and even how they tour, but they are a little finicky. Snow can build up under the brake pad and make prereleasing too easy. The forward pressure is a little strange too, but I think I have it figured out on my second pair. My first pair was launching me all over the place on powder days. I cranked up the heel but need to get back and double check the forward pressure. Second pair has been better in that regard, but just about breaks my fingers when I am moving pieces into walk mode from ski mode. I know it will loosen up some over time, but ugh. Still, I love them. When I don't hate them.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hated my roofbox for a bit this winter when it jammed during a trip to silverton. The work that eventually freed them stressed the plastic around the lock to breaking point. Just finished the repair today. Went with a simple shingle approach with some head molded plastic and a few rivets.

For $100 and 3 years of constant use, I love the box. So useful in both winter and summer.

IMG_1364.jpeg

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I absolutely hate the process of putting on and taking off my ski boots. I love them when they're on my feet as they're very snug, which is how I like them. I finally had to give in and get a heated boot bag this season.
I can't say I love it (it's just a piece of plastic) but I really appreciate my Boot Horn. Getting into boots without it is OK, but it makes it easier without any sort of "pull" on my socks And it makes a MASSIVE difference in getting my liners back into the boot; there are some small protrusions on the inside of the shell that makes putting liners in tricky.

I do love a long-sleeve Icebreaker wool baselayer top - the "260 Zone Long Sleeve Crew." I love it

I love it so much that it's caused some pain - I have more than a dozen baselayer tops accumulated over years of XC skiing and bike racing, including a lot of good ones from Craft and Icebreaker from years ago. But the new Icebreaker top is so great - soft, warm and with really long sleeves, so it fits me tightly but also covers my wrists. It makes the rest of my stuff seem a waste.

Sponsor