• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thanks @TheArchitect for the suggestion. My race boots are skin tight without buckling; no room for socks. I managed to squeeze the Sidas boot heaters in by carving out a spot for them in the custom foot bed. Bonus problem, due to the bottoms of my feet being numb, I'm afraid to set the heaters to "high" in case I burn my feet; I've been warned against doing that. They were ok the year before last, but my feet got worse. P.S. It gets cold in Sudbury ON.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Hate wearing helmets, pretty much any helmet but especially my ski helmet. Wear it because I told my wife I would. Work on foreign language skills every time I put it on.

But when somebody, without warning, lowers the safety bar and hits me in the head I love it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ours happens to be a Yakima Skybox.

Funny. I have a seventeen-year-old Yakima roof box. It has some minor shortcomings, for sure, and it won't be too many moor years before those cracks at the hinges become fatal. But as year after year has gone by and it keeps plugging along, I have grown fond of it. It just works. Best thing about it is that - unlike the Thule boxes, for one - you don't need a key to close it. You only need a key if you want to LOCK it. Different thing. Obviously designed by someone like me who doesn't live in Brooklyn.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Funny. I have a seventeen-year-old Yakima roof box. It has some minor shortcomings, for sure, and it won't be too many moor years before those cracks at the hinges become fatal. But as year after year has gone by and it keeps plugging along, I have grown fond of it. It just works. Best thing about it is that - unlike the Thule boxes, for one - you don't need a key to close it. You only need a key if you want to LOCK it. Different thing. Obviously designed by someone like me who doesn't live in Brooklyn.
Yakima is headquartered down there street in Lake Oswego, OR, suburban Portland.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Look Pivots. They can be quirky, to get out them without marring the finish is near impossible, they reset themselves but look at the bright side, they are expensive. But, boy do they ski well.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
unlike the Thule boxes, for one - you don't need a key to close it.
My Thule 21 has drawbolts front and rear, two back hinges, and two turnbolts that don't require the key to snap closed. Locking mechanism is solid, but not required.

1586828117711.png

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My Thule 21 has drawbolts front and rear, two back hinges, and two turnbolts that don't require the key to snap closed. Locking mechanism is solid, but not required.

View attachment 99787

And that box is like 25 or 30 years old, right?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

But seriously, my answer is "tuning stuff." The more you get, the more you need. It's not cheap. It's very satisfying, except when it's not.

What I love is being able to improve the quality of my skiing on demand, while escaping to the basement with a coffee or beer. What I hate is that I can spend an hour on a pair of skis that have hit some rocks, and while they're better than they were, they're still only about forty percent of the way to where they'd be with a good tune from a good shop. I see a disc edger in my future. Which brings me back to the prior paragraph.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For all the love/hate for Thule and Yakima boxes...
I have nothing but love for my Packasport.
:)

My love hate is my Kulkea Thermal Trekker. I absolutely love that it gives me warm boots and has so much space for absolutely everything I want/need to take with me. I hate that it has so much room that I over pack it.
:D

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I have a good friend who I ski with frequently. To say that he is cheap would be the understatement of the century. He skis on his father's skis. That wouldn't be so bad except that his father has been dead for almost twenty years! He also wears his father's helmet! Over this past winter, one day he complained that he was cold. I told him that it might have something to do with his 10-12 year old jacket sans insulation. I finally had to give him a jacket because I felt so sorry for him. His gloves have holes in them, but I'm not buying him a new pair of gloves. He also snores like an elephant when we share a motel room (a very cheap hotel room). On one trip, his snoring kept me up until 3:00 am. In the morning. I told him that from now on we would each have to get our own rooms lest I kill him in the middle of the night. His response? "That's going to be expensive".

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The wooden stick prop is called a cat killer, but in int the old days when windows where propped up to hold them open and the family cat jumped up to sit on the window sill and made contact............:geek: so keep the cat away now ogwink.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a good friend who I ski with frequently. To say that he is cheap would be the understatement of the century. He skis on his father's skis. That wouldn't be so bad except that his father has been dead for almost twenty years! He also wears his father's helmet! Over this past winter, one day he complained that he was cold. I told him that it might have something to do with his 10-12 year old jacket sans insulation. I finally had to give him a jacket because I felt so sorry for him. His gloves have holes in them, but I'm not buying him a new pair of gloves. He also snores like an elephant when we share a motel room (a very cheap hotel room). On one trip, his snoring kept me up until 3:00 am. In the morning. I told him that from now on we would each have to get our own rooms lest I kill him in the middle of the night. His response? "That's going to be expensive".
See “cat killer” post and ask to borrow the OP’s box, might as well make it look like an accident ogwink:geek:

Sponsor

Staff online