• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
{re Skyline/Big Devil/Rapahannock in VA}

Rapahannock was at one time owned by the owners of Camelback PA.
Yes it died on their watch. They added more snowmaking and blew a super huge amount of snow
the last year. Bad scene as it rained steady for the next 3 weeks, melting every trace of snow.
They then threw in the towel w/ bankruptcy. Sold the lifts & everything they could.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
It looks like granite gorge, NH is on the ropes. It's tough for these small places to keep up with the maintenance required to keep aging lifts functional and safe for the public . It seems not much revenue can be generated to fix the lift by now only offering tubing and xc skiing. Woodbury CT had the same issue last year and has shut down lift served skiing.

I had free tix to GG from ski show, I should of used em, never skied it but drove by a few times, it looked like a nice steep, small old school place...the kind that is disappearing.

https://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=723

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
A lost NY Area was "Silver Bells" in Wells, NY. it closed in the 70's.
Silver%20Bells%2001big.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wanted to go to Geneva Basin last season but the area got little snow. If anyone wants to go later in the season drop me a line. Im game!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wanted to go to Geneva Basin last season but the area got little snow. If anyone wants to go later in the season drop me a line.
Im game!

I've been hoping they get a few big snows before the road closes for the winter. Otherwise it makes the most sense as an overnight trip staying in the old patrol hut.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The latest I've heard about various lost or maybe-lost ski areas in the Western US... anyone have any newer info?
  • Antelope Butte, Wyoming: after being closed since 2004, it's on track to open this winter!
  • Spout Springs, Oregon: didn't operate 2016/17, 2017/18... website/Facebook don't seem to be getting updates, so doesn't look promising for this year.
  • Teton Pass, Montana: didn't operate 2017/18, confirmed won't open 2018/2019
  • Marshall Mountain, Montana: hasn't operated since 2003, still for sale with a $700k price reduction.
  • Elk Ridge, Arizona: didn't operate 2017/18, website/Facebook don't seem to be getting updates, so doesn't look promising for this year
  • Stagecoach Mountain, Colorado: hasn't operated since 1974; news from a couple years back about re-opening by December 2018 is looking unlikely, since there has been no real word for a year and a half now
  • Parley's Summit/Gorgoza, Utah: hasn't offered skiing since the 80s, but it looks like they'll have a lift and skiing/boarding at Woodward Park City by this summer.
  • Ski Rio, New Mexico: hasn't had lift-served skiing since 2000. It's up for sale again, so any rebirth will likely wait on new owners.
  • Plumas Eureka Ski Bowl, California: hasn't had lift-served skiing since 2002. The ski club continues to fundraise to restart it, but I haven't seen any recent indication whether they're anywhere close.

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
The latest I've heard about various lost or maybe-lost ski areas in the Western US... anyone have any newer info?
  • Antelope Butte, Wyoming: after being closed since 2004, it's on track to open this winter!
  • Spout Springs, Oregon: didn't operate 2016/17, 2017/18... website/Facebook don't seem to be getting updates, so doesn't look promising for this year.
  • Teton Pass, Montana: didn't operate 2017/18, confirmed won't open 2018/2019
  • Marshall Mountain, Montana: hasn't operated since 2003, still for sale with a $700k price reduction.
  • Elk Ridge, Arizona: didn't operate 2017/18, website/Facebook don't seem to be getting updates, so doesn't look promising for this year
  • Stagecoach Mountain, Colorado: hasn't operated since 1974; news from a couple years back about re-opening by December 2018 is looking unlikely, since there has been no real word for a year and a half now
  • Parley's Summit/Gorgoza, Utah: hasn't offered skiing since the 80s, but it looks like they'll have a lift and skiing/boarding at Woodward Park City by this summer.
  • Ski Rio, New Mexico: hasn't had lift-served skiing since 2000. It's up for sale again, so any rebirth will likely wait on new owners.
  • Plumas Eureka Ski Bowl, California: hasn't had lift-served skiing since 2002. The ski club continues to fundraise to restart it, but I haven't seen any recent indication whether they're anywhere close.

Sources tell me that Cedar Pass will be open this year if Heikki Lunta cooperates.

https://sites.google.com/site/cedarpasssnowpark/about

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier

According to this article, they will be re-opening this year... so one off of the lost list!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

GinBuck

What's a mogul?
Skier
Skyline, Birch Park and Snow Crest all in WI. Skyline is still for sale so maybe isn't lost, but is only mostly lost.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cuchara seems like a gem of a place to go tour. Gotta go down there when there is good snow.
A few years back we did the Stonewall Century and stayed at Cuchara in a condo at the base next to the abandoned lift.

It's a great ride and the people down there were fantastic. Really glad we made the trip and hope to go back. They could use more visitors to the area:
https://spcycling.org/stonewall-century.php

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not so much a ski area but...
My parents took me there in the early 1970s! It is where another guest taught me to parallel ski. They had a small one run ski hill. Rental equipment consisted of outdated wood skis with cable type bindings and leather boots with many metal buckles, definitely not the rental gear @ 27:52 I also don't recall the chairlift @ 25:09 I think they had a J bar lift.
Crazy video! Sad.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Just reminiscing, I guess ...

NE Lost Ski Areas I've Skied (might have forgotten 1 or 2):

Klein Innsbruck - Franklin, MA
Mt. Tom - Holyoke, MA
Brodie Mtn. - Western MA
Maple Valley - Newfane, VT
Snow Valley - Winhall, VT
Temple Mountain - Southern NH
King Ridge - Southern NH
Intervale Ski Area - Intervale, NH
Moose Mtn. - Southern ME

Racer Ready

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Researching the History of Wyoming Lost Skier areas -
Does anyone have any background and photos of the following areas:

nameFounded typetop elevbase elevdropnear
Eagle Rock lostRock Springs
Happy Jack lost
200​
E of Laramie
Undine Falls
1949​
lost5 mi E Mammoth Hot Springs
Fun Valley lostGreybull
Ryan Park 1956-75lost
710​
Saratoga
Pahasaka lostPahasaka Tepee
Red Star lostShoshone Lodge
Sinks CanyonlostLander
Red Shale MountainlostLame Deer and Broadus
South Pass1965-74lost30 mi S Lander
Sundance lost 5830ft4800ft1000ft2 mi S Sundance
Teton Passlost 8500ft7500ft1000ftTeton Pass
Two Ocean Mountain lost 9650ft600ftTogwotee Pass
East Gate NPS lost 2mi W of Pahaska
Inspiration Pointlost W of Laramie
Libby Creeklost W of Laramie
Summit Tavernlost E of Laramie

Racer Ready

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
STGPcover_blue.jpg

In Ski the Great Potato: Idaho Ski Areas, Past and Present, you'll find the histories of the 21 current Idaho ski areas and of 72 of the historical or "lost" areas. The book gives the basic facts about each area and how it started, and includes stories of the people who skied at each one. There are stories of stolen snow plows, an exploding stove, a moose taking a nap on a ski run, a ski jump from Idaho to Canada, a dog who stole sack lunches, and the fate of a young woman who froze to the seat of a portable toilet.

While researching the microfilms of Idaho newspapers, we found many hidden and forgotten stories of ski area start-ups in the weekly papers. It was almost always a community deal: meet in the basement of the drugstore on Tuesday night; we are forming a ski club, says the paper. A rancher, farmer, or mechanic promises to donate an engine for the rope tow. No rope for the tow? No problem, we'll hold a box lunch social, or sell ski club memberships that include free skiing. No land for a tow? We can apply for a Forest Service permit, or lease land from private owners, have it logged, and pay the lease with the proceeds. If the road is in bad shape, we can make a movie of cars and buses stuck in the mud and show it around town to motivate public officials to pave the road.

Many Idaho ski areas were successful only because of the major support and pure goodwill of community businessmen like Warren Brown and Jack Simplot. Many of Idaho's small community ski areas had the investment of local farmers, ranchers, miners, doctors, lawyers and businessmen who were vital in their development.

Our research uncovered the amazing determination of the few men and women who started Idaho's ski areas, especially the ones in remote areas. A 13-member Lions Club built a ski area from scratch, including buying a used Pomalift from a bigger ski area. When cement trucks couldn't drive up its steep hill to pour the foundations for the towers, they used a backhoe bucket and shovels to mix the cement by hand. Then they hauled an old schoolhouse 45 miles on dollies to the base of the lift for a lodge.

We applaud the ingenuity and perseverance of these ski area pioneers who worked so hard to bring the joy of skiing to their communities.

“Ski the Great Potato –Idaho Ski Areas Past and Present” has been selected as a winner of the International Skiing History Association’s Skade Book Award. Get your copy long Skiing History Gala at Park City, UT. at selected book stores, ski shops. and online: www.trailguidebooks.com , www.vintageskiworld.com , www.vintagewinter.com and www.amazon.com