• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Loon

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never been there. I know it gets crowded.

We'll probably take a day trip or two since it's close and on ikon.

What are the:

Woods to look for?

Hardest trails?

Funnest trails?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love Loon. Only been there twice near the end of the season in 2016 and 2017 and had a blast in the spring snow. I can't answer any of your questions because I don't pay much attention to trail names these days. I can say that I've never met a blue there I didn't like. I hadn't yet started skiing blacks the last time we were there so I can't tell ya about any advanced terrain. They have what I call a baby gondola (seats 4) to get you to the top. There does seem to be a high population of boarders there likely because they have a full sized half pipe. My post probably doesn't help a whole lot but the 2x we've been there we had an absolute blast and can't wait to get back there. Fun mountain with a good vibe and a decent bar ;)

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

What are the:

Woods to look for?

Hardest trails?

Funnest trails?
I'm a huge fan of Loon. Not close but make it 1 or 2 weekends a year.(we were Max, now ikon and usually spring for me) I'm sure there are many Boston area people who know many more details.

Yes its a popular mountain but IMO that's because it's run very well along with its location.

The main mountain has some nice long cruisers, North Peak and East Basin steeps. Not versed too much on South Peak so I'll let others describe.

Mikie's Way and some of the stuff off North Peak are fun tree runs. Triple Trouble and Big Dipper usually have good bumps

I think the lifts and facilities are really nice there. I like Camp III and the Summit lodges to hang at and enjoy the views of the the Whites. Many complain about the Gondola, that its 4 passenger, the line etc I'm glad they are keeping it at 4 (they just replaced cabins this summer) and would rather have the people down at the base then on the summit trails. There's other ways up as well.

Lincoln is an under rated ski town (particularly for the east) in my opinion and good après ski can be found both at the mountain and in town.

You will not find me there during any of the big holidays that's for sure

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

What are the:

Woods to look for?

Hardest trails?

Funnest trails?
The last time I was at Loon was about 30 years ago. But I think it is the closest thing to me (well, over 300 feet anyway), so I may do a day trip like you. Maybe take a midweek day and make up the work on Saturday.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's certainly worth a visit if on your pass. I seem to remember Angel Street and Ripsaw having good fall lines. I don't find it as inspiring a mountain as nearby Cannon or Wildcat.

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
We are not sure if you have seen this or not, though we skied there for the 1st time last season after many years. Despite the not optimal weather, we were impressed with the terrain, the fast lifts and the feel for the mountain..

This is our video - we hope it helps..

Hotels are pretty good and reasonable.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know it gets crowded.

True statement. If you have an option, go on a weekday. If you must make it a weekend, take Sunday over Saturday. If there's no getting out of the weekend thing, it's worth spending the vast majority of your day at North Peak and South Peak...try to avoid the Gondola and the Kancamagus Quad on a busy day.

Woods to look for?

This is the one thing that Loon falls short on, IMO. I love the mountain, and there are plenty of long windy narrow trails, as well as a few really good bump runs that can give you the attributes of a woods run, but there's not many actual glades. The Walking Boss Woods are probably my favorite marked glade.

Hardest trails?

Hardest? Well this is New England, so they're all generally pretty firm.

Sorry, bad joke.

Angel Street and Ripsaw would be most difficult in terms of steepness. The ungroomed terrain under/next to the East Basin lift is real good when the snow is good. The bumps can get pretty large and challenging.

Funnest trails?

In college we always enjoyed a good long run...start on the top of North Peak, hit every left...last person to the bottom buys the first round.

Other note to make: The Common Man restaurant is pretty awesome...whether you stop in town, in Lincoln or venture to the original one that is in Ashland...well worth a stop. If you enjoy sweets at all, the Common Apple is AMAZING.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I can't believe I've never skied Loon! (I can but, you know :rolleyes:) I grew up in North Conway and raced all over New England. I drove by a lot on the way to races, but never put my skis on there.

I did my first mt. bike race there and they deliberately had the finish of the lap go over snow. I fell on the snow.

first mt bike race finish Loon Mt - CCI09142018.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
That's funny, Doug. I saw this thread, and thought "Maybe the only ski area in New England where I can't add one single thing!" In my case I have very few excuses, as for many years we have had Boyne Passes that include Loon. Your comment of driving by it real hit home, as I have driven by it as a kid, a teen, and adult, a parent SO many times between various destinations. I've skied a lot of Cannon and Waterville over 60+ years, and an awful lot days in the MWV.

When our kids were first skiing in USSA "seeded" races as J3's, there was an annual end of season race at Loon, the UNH fundraiser. It was open to second year J4's, and we made the trek from Sugarloaf for both kids during those years. It actually paid off! Our son went from 999 to something like 85 points in his first two races. I think he felt that it would continue to be that easy! Nope. Daughter had similar luck there. I won't open the discussion to "throwing points!"

At any rate, I recall my daughter asking me "what's this place like to ski?" and my replying "no idea?" She was dumbfounded. Just never had occasion to ski there. Waterville, Cannon, Attach, Cranmore, and Wildcat all hosted a lot of races in my day {even with our being based in Vermont}. Loon, not so much. And skiing it in late April when they had to work like dogs to move enough snow to hold a couple of short GS races near the base of the mountain didn't seem so appealing.

I think I may need to check it out midweek this winter a couple of times. Crazy not to!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Count me in as another who hasn't skied there but will this season due to it being on Ikon. I've always stayed away due to the crowds but I'll try it on a Sunday this year.

Sponsor

Staff online