• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Looking to book Alta/Snowbird for Feb 2020. No lodging available. Is it too early?

CG_Racing

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm planning trip for Feb 2020. Alta/Snowbird is one of the places I'm thinking about. Pretty much every search engine I've used has only a couple rooms available at only a couple resorts: Typically the Peruvian and the Rustler. Every other hotel/lodging is listed as "Sold out"; which would indicate they are already fully booked, but I can see the search engines saying this as a default because availability hasn't been opened. I find it hard to believe that 97% of lodging is already booked 5 months in advance.
Is it too early to shop around/book? If so, when does the availability open up?

Thanks,
Craig

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, of course there truly isn’t that much lodging in Little Cottonwood Canyon itself, and between longtime regulars and the Ikon pass, I can see it filling up pretty much, even well in advance. Where you looking for the week following Presidents’ Day? Still, I agree, there should still be a fair number of rooms available unless you have specific wishes like a condo, cabin or pool.

The majority of it is in the resort owned lodges, did you try Alta and Snowbird directly?
291F69CE-F609-4C1C-BDCA-BC85C6FDAEAF.png

TS
CG_Racing

CG_Racing

Skier
Where you looking for the week following Presidents’ Day?
Checked 02/01 - 02/09 and 02/22 - 02/29. I've learned to stay away from anything that encompasses President's Day :nono:

The majority of it is in the resort owned lodges, did you try their websites directly?
I did try a few and got the same thing pretty much. Didn't try more than that since there enough to be "a lot" of "individual" ones.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Checked 02/01 - 02/09 and 02/22 - 02/29. I've learned to stay away from anything that encompasses President's Day :nono:.
Yeah I saw in another thread you mentioned you and your wife, but not kids, so if you are not bound to school vacations, picking other dates is a very good idea: cheaper flights, more lodging options and fewer crowds on the hill.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I booked February last minute last year at the Blossom Inn Lodge at Snowbird. Book for 4 days, fifth free with free lift tix. If you can stay at the hill, do it. Traffic was so INSANE going from and to town, that lots of folks missed flights, etc. and slept in the lobby!

TS
CG_Racing

CG_Racing

Skier
Yeah I saw in another thread you mentioned you and your wife, but not kids, so if you are not bound to school vacations, picking other dates is a very good idea: cheaper flights, more lodging options and fewer crowds on the hill.

My first trip to Whistler was over President's day and that also happened to be a Pow day.. I've never spent that long just trying to get above mid-mountain!!

TS
CG_Racing

CG_Racing

Skier
Did you try calling the individual lodges directly? I always make my reservations directly with the Goldminer's Daughter.

Use a phone.. to talk to people!?!!?? LOL

If I can't find anything I will do that ;)

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed at the View...ski out/can be ski in if your up for it at Snowbird along the Blackjack Traverse......used VRBO.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another trick: If you're interested in something like a condo or house (some are pretty small and competitively priced, especially for longer stays), look for listings on VRBO. Most will be by property management companies, so if you find something you like, just contact the company that listed it and book directly. Frequently these companies even have their own online booking systems.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Easier to Call Direct they are on shortened hrs in summer, ask about the IKON discount GMD

Sponsor

Staff online