• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for Ski Replacements (Rev 85 and Wren 98)

CalvinM

AMGA Aspirant Rock Guide and Ski Newb
Skier
Hey folks. It is that time again and I'm getting ready for the ski season up here in Vancouver. My home hill is now Cypress Mountain( yes I miss Alpine Meadows).

I'm looking to replace 2 of skis in the quiver.

1. Head Rev 85 pro 170cm. I've grown to love these skis. They are so easy to ski but have great torsional stiffness when on edge. But after almost 200 days they are getting pretty beat. I'm a lighter skier( 5'10 145lbs) so I find that I like more compliant skis. I'm eyeing up the Liberty v82 at as replacement for these?

2. On3p Wrenegade 98 179cm. These skis I just have never really clicked with. They feel just a little too stiff and burly for me. I like to make lots of turns and carve but they are just terrible at this and I have a really hard time skiing them in even soft bumps. Great in powder but what isn't. I'm looking at the Kore 99. I skied the Kore 93 on a spring day in Tahoe and loved it.

Any other skis that I should be looking at?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hey folks. It is that time again and I'm getting ready for the ski season up here in Vancouver. My home hill is now Cypress Mountain( yes I miss Alpine Meadows).

I'm looking to replace 2 of skis in the quiver.

1. Head Rev 85 pro 170cm. I've grown to love these skis. They are so easy to ski but have great torsional stiffness when on edge. But after almost 200 days they are getting pretty beat. I'm a lighter skier( 5'10 145lbs) so I find that I like more compliant skis. I'm eyeing up the Liberty v82 at as replacement for these?

2. On3p Wrenegade 98 179cm. These skis I just have never really clicked with. They feel just a little too stiff and burly for me. I like to make lots of turns and carve but they are just terrible at this and I have a really hard time skiing them in even soft bumps. Great in powder but what isn't. I'm looking at the Kore 99. I skied the Kore 93 on a spring day in Tahoe and loved it.

Any other skis that I should be looking at?

Yes on the Liberty v82 for sure.

The Kore 99 is a stiff Plank. I did not like it and I weight 190 lbs. The Liberty Origin 96's should work great for you.

TS
CalvinM

CalvinM

AMGA Aspirant Rock Guide and Ski Newb
Skier
Ken, thanks for the Origin 96 recommendation. It looks like it could be a good fit. I feel like I had written off the Origin because in the past it was described as being a super soft ski. But after reading a few reviews it could be a good choice for me. I'm leaning towards the 176 length, but wondering if the 182 might be better(it looks to measure short compared to the on3ps).

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
What conditions do you want the Wren 98 replacement to handle?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The current Wren 96 is a bit of different ski than the older 98, still you might consider the Woodsman, 108 has been getting a lot of positive attention, though the 96 is a another good option.

Can’t speak to Liberty, really want to try them.

I had the Rev 85 (first edition, before the “pro”, same ski), and I replaced it with a Renoun Z90. If you like lighter and nimble, DPS Cassiar 82 or 87. Some people who liked the Rev 85 have also liked the Monster 83, another is maybe a Fischer RC 4 Curve GT.

Honestly the DPS Cassiar 94 could almost replace both your existing skis, unless you’re really looking for a frontside groomer to replace the Rev.

Sponsor

Staff online