Looking for recommendations on a New England Daily Driver, Hard Snow edition

Discussion in 'Hardgoods: Skis, Bindings, Poles, and More' started by ScottB, Feb 11, 2019.

1. flbufl

flbufl Putting on skis Skier

This one is easy. Stockli Laser AX.

2. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I don't have the catalog with me..I will post in the next couple of days

3. peterm

peterm Getting on the lift Skier

Does anyone know anything about the new Brahma 82? According to the description: "It's a narrower version of the 88, and follows similar shape, profile, and construction. The shape is actually the biggest difference, with an 82 mm waist width, the ski is a lot quicker from edge to edge, and it also has fantastic edge grip due to the increased torsional stiffness"

Since Brahma 88 was close to what the OP wanted, maybe Brahma 82 will nail it.

Tony S likes this.
  4. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl loves soft bumps, trees and ungroomed Skier

My SO has been absolutely been loving his Stockli Laser AX skis. He has the 2015 and digs their hard pack prowess but also equally as impressed on the versatility including their ability to blast through crud. He loves these things so much he hasn't even so much looked at his Volkl RTM 84s.

5. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

Aren’t the AXs a bit soft for a skier of the OP’s size of 6-4 240 and a very good skier? I know everyone here loves that ski and I have a good friend who loves his too, but every time I mention the possibility of trying that ski he tells me it’s too soft for a guy my size. I’m pretty close in size to the OP but a little heavier.

surfsnowgirl likes this.

6. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    I like your list. For the Curve, choose the length to match your desired radius. I would add Lazer SX. OK these are not the best for fresh snow in the trees, but if you ski them enough you can make them your bitch, and the pay off on the typical hard snow is worth it.

Erik Timmerman likes this.
  7. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl loves soft bumps, trees and ungroomed Skier

I think @Jean-Benoit is a big guy and he loves his. Not sure about the size of other folks who love the ski.

Jean-Benoit likes this.
  8. Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman Making fresh tracks Instructor

@Mike Thomas has skied the 82.

9. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Whiteroom Pugski Sponsor

Fischer RC One 86- rips, it's what you want. Stop here.
    Volkl Deacon Lowrider 84- big improvement over RTM
    Liberty VMT V82- one more vertical strip of metal = mo' bettah
    Liberty Evolv- it's like the VMT and the Origin procreated. A better Origin.
    Blizzard HRC Firebird
    Fischer Curve GT- just ignore terrain irregularities.
    DPS Cassiar 87

Coach13 and Erik Timmerman like this.
  10. Thread Starter
    TS
    ScottB

ScottB Getting off the lift Skier

How big a skier is your SO? Not judging, just for comparison sake. ;) I think the RTM's in 177 are too short for me.

The Ax's are under consideration for sure. I just left them off the list. I think MDF has a pair in 183cm and thinks they are hard to handle in bumps. Paging @mdf. I am hoping to ski with him at the NE gathering, maybe I can try his skis.

Here is a quote from the editor of Blister, which get's me thinking.

Jonathan Ellsworth, Founder / Editor, Blister
    January 4, 2019 at 5:15 pm | Reply

Hi, Jeff – you’re getting some pretty good advice from the collective here — thanks everybody for the perspectives. My own take is that the answer is really going to come down to what compromises you want to make. If you truly want this ski to shine on icy groomers, then I would think about The Curv or the K2 Ikonic 84 Ti. And the more you want your carver to work pretty well off-piste, then I’d go Ikonic 84 Ti.
    But the more you *actually* are going to want your skinnier ski to really truly shine off piste (this is one of those Know Thyself moments) … that’s where the Brahma comes in. It does not carve on very hard snow as well as something like The Curv or the Ikonic 84 Ti, but again, The Curv and Ikonic 84 Ti can’t touch the Brahma’s off-piste versatility and performance.

I agree with the Brahma comment not carving as well on hard snow. I also like a ski that when you roll on edge, it auto turns for you. Most skis like that don't do well off piste, so I am willing to accept what I get for versitility. My race skis auto turn, but they are tough to ski in double black moguled trees, I do it occasionally, but its not always as fun as it should be.

11. Mike Thomas

I like the Brahma 82 a lot, the narrower waist will be easier to get on edge for some, so I can see why grip will feel better. It's a perfect firm snow ski for most people, it doesn't demand to be carved all of the time, it's fun, its quick edge to edge, it's just plain versatile... but it isn't 'race like'. It does what most 'all mountain' skiers want from a ski, but probably isn't what OP is looking for.

12. flbufl

So it is basically a slightly wider Latigo, right?

13. Mike Thomas

Nope. It's a narrow Brahma. It has way less rocker and taper then the Latigo and it has more beef.

14. flbufl

Thanks for the info!

15. trailtrimmer

trailtrimmer Stuck in the Flatlands Skier

The Latigo is really rockered, the 177 skis like a 170 the way it pops and pivots. With a 3 degree edge it will still grip better than you think it will.

At the posters size, he’d need a 184 for it to work for him. Unfortunately the new old stock really dried up this past month.

16. Thread Starter
    TS
    ScottB

ScottB Getting off the lift Skier

Erik, do have any info on the new ski? I can't find much on the web. Also, don't you have The Curv and Curve GT skis? How do they do in moguls and in the glades. If I remember correctly you ski at Stowe, what is your daily driver for firm conditions?

17. mdf

mdf entering the Big Couloir Skier

Huh, wha...? Oh, AX, ok.

I'm around 200 pounds, 5' 10".
    I skied a friend's AX in 167. It was a fantastic bump ski. I own the 183 AX. It is horrible in bumps. The only place it really shines is for going fast on steep, flat ice. Never been on the middle length.

My favorite ski right now is the Nordica Navigator 85 in the 186 length. Wonderful ski everywhere -- bumps, trees, steeps. ice, powder.
    My other active skis are the Atomic Automatic 109 (188-ish length) and an older Fischer slalom ski, 166 length.

18. Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman Making fresh tracks Instructor

I have the Curv and the Curv GT They are both awesome skis. I don't really ski either of them in the bumps much, mostly because bump runs have rocks, but they are both mega stiff. The Curv isn't that much fun in soft snow because it is so stiff that it just won't bend without hard snow to react against, so I just use it to destroy corduroy. I use the GT as a teaching ski, so I use it in bumps on occasion, and it does fine. I'll ski it in easy woods sometimes. My daily driver is the Pro Mountain 86. Mine are probably pretty worn out at this point, but with a sharp edge, they were much more than adequate yesterday on snow that varied from hard to impenetrable. I love them in bumps and in the trees when the snow isn't so deep as to lure out the 100mm skis. They might not wow you on your first run, but as you ski them more you will realize how much they can do. I'm 4 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter and ski them in the biggest size, so maybe @Mike Thomas can speak to that. The RC One 86 GT will wow you the second your feet touch the unload ramp. I've only skied them a couple down runs, but I think they are exactly what you want, more of a gun on the groomers and I expect they will more than hold their own elsewhere. I should have mine any day now and will post pictures and a review once I have them. I am not sure how many are in the first shipment and if they are all spoken for or not. In the meantime, the PM86 is great and I'd just buy a new pair if these guys weren't on their way.

ScottB and Coach13 like this.
  19. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

I only demoed the Pro Mtn for 86 for an hour and liked them. But op is a big dude. I weigh 175; while they have smooth power nothing that would knock your socks off.

20. Coach13

Coach13 Out on the slopes Skier

The op is a tad lighter than me but I’m betting he’d love the PM 86 in a 182cm. It’s a great, versatile ski that handles a lot of the wants he mentioned very well.