• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for recommendations on 100mm ski

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
Like the title says, I am looking for a 100mm+ off piste ski. I currently have armada halo 176cm and enjoy cruising groomers and playing in the park in a little. I got a great deal on them a few years ago and I am set for hardpack/spring. I have been spending more time going off trail, now that we finally have deep snow and I’m looking for an on trail off trail wide ski. I am not an expert by any means but would classify myself as intermediate to advanced. I’m 5’6” tall and 165lbs. I have been looking at the Solomon QST 106 and Rossignol S7. I did a demo on Nordica enforcer 100 and I like the ski but could tell that it was a lot more ski than I am used to.

Thank you for any recommendations

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you liked the Enforcer 100 but found it to be a bit too much, the Enforcer 104 Free, it falls into the width range you are looking at but a more playful off piste design. Another ski that meets your criteria is the Dynastar Legend X 106. I also like the K2 Pinnacle 105, this is the ski that the Soul 7 wanted to be and should now be found on the discount racks with the introduction of the new Mindbender.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Why not "grow into" the Enforcer 100? Or you could get my daily driver, the Enforcer 93. I'd have the 100, but I already have Patrons.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd add the Sick Day 104 to the list. Really nice balance of being easy to ski, but strong. I ski the women's & 95 waist version (Pandora) and had a huge "growth spurt" in my skiing with them. They're quick when I'm skiing trees or on challenging terrain where I want to control my speed with quick, tight turns, but they also are sturdy enough to feel dependable when I want to open up and ski more aggressively. I've filled out my quiver with stiffer/longer/more aggressive skis, but I still find the Pandoras substantial enough and use them as my touring skis. My only complaint is that I wish they were wider and I can't wait for the 95s to kick the bucket so I can justify the upgrade to the new 104.

TS
L

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
My demo list now includes qst 106, enforcer 104 free, rustler 10, sick day 104, tracer 108 and kore 105.

Thank you for the recommendations so far. The enforcer 100s were a nice ski and I don’t doubt that they have a ton of potential. I haven’t ruled them out.

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
If the Enforcer felt like more power than you prefer, and you like the S7, I think you will love the Rustler 10. In my opinion, the Ruslter fits in the middle between the two mentioned skis.

Please post you're thoughts once you are done with the demo. I'm curious to see you're thoughts on the Ruster 10 vs the Enforcer 100 - to see if they mimic mine.

Also- I don't buy the "grow into them" statement. Everyone has a different style and skis different terrain. In my experience, if you have to learn to love a ski, it's not the ski for you. I tried hard to love the Enforcer 100; just didn't happen. Wish I didn't wait as long as I did to change.

Last edited:

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Another vote for the Rustler 10. I demoed it back to back with the Enforcer and found both were excellent skis in heavy, deep, ungroomed snow, with the Rustler noticeably more nimble and playful. Just what you're asking for, I think!

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Just got done skiing a full day on the Ruster 10 - with Griffen bindings this time.. Even better ski that I thought. Really handles a lot of what the east coast can throw at you. Enough power for firm, but enough flex for bumps/glades. Really fun ski.

TS
L

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for the replies and recommendations. My local shop just received their 2020 rustler 10s and I snagged a pair of 172cm with Look SPX 12 bindings. They should be ready by Monday and we are headed out for the weekend next Friday. It is dumping snow here and I cannot wait to get out on these.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My demo list now includes qst 106, enforcer 104 free, rustler 10, sick day 104, tracer 108 and kore 105.

Thank you for the recommendations so far. The enforcer 100s were a nice ski and I don’t doubt that they have a ton of potential. I haven’t ruled them out.

I have demoed the QST 106, Rustler 10, Tracer 108 and the Kore 105 and my favs were the Tracer, the QST and the Rustler.... from Powder to Harder snow preference in that order.

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for the replies and recommendations. My local shop just received their 2020 rustler 10s and I snagged a pair of 172cm with Look SPX 12 bindings. They should be ready by Monday and we are headed out for the weekend next Friday. It is dumping snow here and I cannot wait to get out on these.

FYI- these skis do ski a bit short. Not sure how tall you are or how much you weigh...

TS
L

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
C0ABDAF5-E6CF-47AB-A15F-E9E8B4943D0A.jpeg
Picked up the new skis today. Now the looooong wait until Saturday.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
curious what were the demo binding on the 10s you tried?

Those low DIN looks have stupid high heels.

TS
L

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier

I did not ever get to demo the 10s. I am not sure what the shop has for demo bindings on the 10s. I tried twice to demo but they were always out when I tried to reserve. After toooo much research, talking to numerous people and demos of other skis, I decided on the Rustler 10s. The look binding was a deal from the shop.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The NX12 with the WR toe that is shown has normal ramp.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Did you try the QST in 188? Talk about teeheee

Yes, 188cm with Shift Bindings. Loved it. Conditions: Medium density 12" powder day at loveland, untracked and chow.

Sponsor

Staff online