• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for good place to do some A/T laps

John Fritz

Booting up
Skier
I live in Silverthorne, CO. I recently got invited to go on a scouting trip to the Rep of Georgia with www.TheAdventureProject.net at the end of March. The condition was that I had to throw down for new A/T gear since the MO was going to be skinning for the sidecountry from the top of the lifts at the two resorts we are to visit.

So here I am trying to get used to my new gear and practice transitions. I have a place by my house that involves about a 20 min skin up and 2 min ski down in a very safe environment. I would love to at least double that in a safe solo environment.

If any local experts have any suggestions, or I'll drive, or buy lunch/drinks, etc if you feel like sharing any local knowledge.

Thanks

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just heard about an INBOUNDS slide at Silverton that buried the guide. There's a LOT of snow loaded pretty much everywhere right now. Not a good time to be trying to figure out things by yourself out there.

TS
John Fritz

John Fritz

Booting up
Skier
Thanks crgildart. I totally appreciate what you're saying. Conditions here have everybody on high alert right now.

Where I'm going now has a pitch so shallow that you you have to intentionally try to make a turn. The only other skiers I've seen there have all been solo.

The whole intention of my post was not to figure it out solo, but maybe hook up with someone looking for a partner and willing to show me some of the local goods.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you're just looking to put in the work and practice transitions, it's hard to beat skinning at a resort. Pick your closest resort, or your favorite policies, and get to it: https://www.colorado.com/articles/your-guide-uphill-skiing-colorado

If you want to be in the backcountry, you should look into Mayflower Gulch, a few miles down 91 past copper. Its a long skin up a forest service road, with a small ridge you can gain. Ridge could get you into some avy terrain if you try hard, but the road is dead safe, pleasant, and you'll see a lot of other people out there. Mt Trelease and Coon Hill are closer (as are some forest roads up 9), but have more complex terrain. Baldy just E of breck is also a good option.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I live in Silverthorne, CO. I recently got invited to go on a scouting trip to the Rep of Georgia with www.TheAdventureProject.net at the end of March. The condition was that I had to throw down for new A/T gear since the MO was going to be skinning for the sidecountry from the top of the lifts at the two resorts we are to visit.

So here I am trying to get used to my new gear and practice transitions. I have a place by my house that involves about a 20 min skin up and 2 min ski down in a very safe environment. I would love to at least double that in a safe solo environment.

If any local experts have any suggestions, or I'll drive, or buy lunch/drinks, etc if you feel like sharing any local knowledge.

Thanks

When I first got my AT gear last season I skinned up A Basin and Loveland to get it sorted out. Also went a LOT to Jones Pass / Butler Gulch to really learn in a wide range of conditions. From Silverthorne you can drive up to Coon Hill and practice in a wild environment with plenty of safe lower angle slopes. The lot is right before the west entrance of the Eisenhower tunnel. Avalanche terrain is nearby but very easy to avoid.

TS
John Fritz

John Fritz

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have done the A-basin tour. It's very cool that they allow uphill during lift operating hours.

I'm checking out all the other areas mentioned online. Bunch of good stuff...

Actually driving home from Breck today I noticed some tracks coming down from the hill just behind the Summit High School. Terrain looked interesting.

TS
John Fritz

John Fritz

Booting up
Skier
Resorts would be the way to go.

Otherwise, are you Familiar with Caltopo and the slope shading tool? Easy way to locate potential terrain.
And Frisco has a Beacon practice park, according to the internet.

Check Lou Dawson’s guidebook. Covers both resorts and safe tours:
https://www.amazon.com/Uphill-Skiing-Light-Tours-Colorado/dp/0991216059
Thanks Slim. I think I'll throw down for that book since it seems perfect for what I'm looking for.
Otherwise, Holy Heck! Things up here are off the charts and I don't even want to be driving next to any steep hills!