• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ordered!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Philpug - FYI just got a call from Ski Essentials - apparently this year the brake widths have changed and it's 95, not 97. Not a big deal, but just for your reference :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can't imagine they actually change the actual width but 95 is less confusing for the consumer. Either way, you are fine.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, you asked for thoughts.

IMO, I wouldn't buy new bindings just because they're hard to step into... unless they're too hard. Have you found yourself yet in a situation (such as deep snow) where it really caused you issues? If so, I say go ahead and replace 'em, and you've already got some very good suggestions and info. If not though, and it's just been a minor hassle, I vote for leaving well enough alone and spending the money on something else. Just my $.02.

Griffons seem to have an issue with this stepping in. I have a set and am ok after having to replace the heels after they failed binding check. ( a first for any binding I've ever owned)

However, I suspect what makes it worse is the shorter sole length of smaller boots that most women have. My sister had such an issue getting in that the shop had to replace the heel sole of her new Lange boot with a plastic one instead of rubberish. This seemed to help. The bindings should go though.
I get the feeling that among shop techs the consensus is Griffons are garbage.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Griffons seem to have an issue with this stepping in. I have a set and am ok after having to replace the heels after they failed binding check. ( a first for any binding I've ever owned)

However, I suspect what makes it worse is the shorter sole length of smaller boots that most women have. My sister had such an issue getting in that the shop had to replace the heel sole of her new Lange boot with a plastic one instead of rubberish. This seemed to help. The bindings should go though.
I get the feeling that among shop techs the consensus is Griffons are garbage.

Mine is not super short at 300, but I think my husband's boots are like 318. So mine are shorter than some?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spademanns!

Just wondering if any one sprays silicone spray on the outside of the boots to keep snow sticking hard to the boots. I've sprayed the tops of my skis and it helps a bit. It seems like a lot of the problem is from too much snow interfering with the step in.

Eric

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Spademanns!

Just wondering if any one sprays silicone spray on the outside of the boots to keep snow sticking hard to the boots. I've sprayed the tops of my skis and it helps a bit. It seems like a lot of the problem is from too much snow interfering with the step in.

Eric

Snow is part of the issue. It is by far not the only issue. The main issue is I would need to have a lot more leverage before I could effectively stomp into the binding unless it's on a completely flat and solid surface.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Spademanns!

It seems like a lot of the problem is from too much snow interfering with the step in.

Eric

The Marker royals required a lot more efforts to step in compared to other bindings. The worst offender in that series are the first gen Squire units. One would figure the lightest binding in the series would be the easiest to step in - Noop.

FWIW, I don't have any step in issue with the marker royal bindings. My DIN is set at 10 and the BSL for my boot is 285. Mrs. Grump is the one with the negative experience. So what makes her unhappy make me unhappy. Sh*t flows downhill - just like skiers and I for one like to stay ahead of the wave.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The Marker royals required a lot more efforts to step in compared to other bindings. The worst offender in that series are the first gen Squire units. One would figure the lightest binding in the series would be the easiest to step in - Noop.

FWIW, I don't have any step in issue with the marker royal bindings. My DIN is set at 10 and the BSL for my boot is 285. Mrs. Grump is the one with the negative experience. So what makes her unhappy make me unhappy. Sh*t flows downhill - just like skiers and I for one like to stay ahead of the wave.

Go figure. Your DIN is much higher and your BSL smaller than mine. :huh:

James

Out There
Instructor
It's just the geometry of that single pivot in the heel. Don't sweat it, just get rid of them and know your not alone with the issue.

They also squeak in the cold. Yeah I know - waahh, but It gets annoying when you're in the middle of the woods. Am I skiing a Model T?? A '56 pickup? I mean I might as well blow off an air horn or start skeet shooting with junks of snow.
-Some of that may be toe height adjustments. The squeaks are another common complaint.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's just the geometry of that single pivot in the heel. Don't sweat it, just get rid of them and know your not alone with the issue.

They also squeak in the cold. Yeah I know - waahh, but It gets annoying when you're in the middle of the woods. Am I skiing a Model T?? A '56 pickup? I mean I might as well blow off an air horn or start skeet shooting with junks of snow.
-Some of that may be toe height adjustments. The squeaks are another common complaint.
It is also the design that they Royal bindings require significant amount of forward pressure to function properly. The AXL3/SPX heel are a similar design but a different hinge point and aren't nearly as difficult to get in. Same with Pivots/FKS.

James

Out There
Instructor
So for ease of entry in uneven snow or powder what would you recommend?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So for ease of entry in uneven snow or powder what would you recommend?
I really like the Pivots for getting in, they seem to require very little effort but you have to make sure they are clean and no snow on boots. Overall the Salomon and Tyrolia heels are the best in mixed snow conditions.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had Squire bindings and they were the "demon from hell bindings" of my life. Even on groomers, with no snow on the soles of my boots, I had to stomp to get into those babies. On a powder day, when I fell and my skis came off, I cried and cried and cried on the side of a run with 3 people trying to help me clean the sole of my boots and stabilize the skis so I could stomp! I have avoided Marker ever since. The bottom line is that if a binding is too finicky, it can ruin a perfect day. I've heard a few mention the Rosse/Look bindings and I've had no problem with my Axial2's. I've even reached down into heavy Sierra Cement and released the binding with my hand because it was easier than standing up on the stupid flat section I wiped out on.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Update!

Today I skied the new-to-me Volkl Ones with demo Marker Griffin bindings. Given my problems with the Griffins and Squires, I was worried about getting into the bindings - but they are a totally different experience. Still a fair amount of resistance, yes, but a firm push gets my boots into the skis. It was pretty easy, even with a lot of snow on the ground.

I don't know why that would be, but I'm still replacing the bindings on my Santa Anas. Maybe they were mounted just slightly off; maybe there's a defect; maybe they're inhabited by demons from the netherworlds; I don't know. But I'm definitely done with them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Bobalooski, I gather @Monique will need some Attacks. Monique, Bobalooski is a purveyor if the finest used and pre-owned new equipment and I believe he might have some Attack 13's for sale.