• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice about a new dog

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have been to our one on one counceling session with Gypsy and our first Confidence and Socialization class.

All I have to say is WOW these people know what they're doing.
Part of the training is confidence building with agility features. Gypsy loved most of them except two things.
The purpose was to gain confidence while other dogs are also on the agility course.
We will be doing this or something similar next Saturday evening for a total of 5 weeks.
We're also changing a few things in our daily routine that should establish that Gypsy doesn't have to look out for us because we're in charge and she can relax.
Seeing some of the other dogs in this class, its pretty clear that Gypsy is not as anxious as some of the other dogs out there. She did great!

Progress!
Here are a few picturs or her Agility stuff.
Gypsy big teeter totter.png
gypsy big tires.png

Gypsy small teeter totter.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^ That agility training looks fascinating. What a wonderful process for helping out anxious dogs. Impressive.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah Gypsy!! Nicely done, girl!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I finally took the time to piece the videos together.
I don't have advice or information on what would work for Mia and her specific anxiety, but this is defitely the right path for Gypsy .

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mia's anxiety is weird and unpredictable. She'll run away from some people and be fine with others. Here's a picture of my oldest son holding Mia. He hadn't met her until yesterday and by the end of the visit he was holding her. We were all stunned.

IMG_0925.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mia's anxiety is weird and unpredictable. She'll run away from some people and be fine with others. Here's a picture of my oldest son holding Mia. He hadn't met her until yesterday and by the end of the visit he was holding her. We were all stunned.

View attachment 105027
She is so adorable. I guess patience and working with her on confidence.
Have you found anyone in your area that does what CRCS does?
We also put Gypsy on Solliquine a few weeks ago and that seems to work as well.

@TheArchitect Its kind of good to be going through this with you. Lots to learn.

BTW, we've had someone come into the house to give us a quote on fixing some stucco with no issue, no snarling. We took her to the bike shop and she was not super cozy with everyone but she was pretty chill until @DoryBreaux walked in. She does not like full beards!!!
She told Dory she didn't trust him and he's a total dog guy.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
....We took her to the bike shop and she was not super cozy with everyone but she was pretty chill until @DoryBreaux walked in. She does not like full beards!!!

Olli has gotten a little better with facial hair, but yeah, that's definitely a trigger. It's so funny, he will be all waggy and happy and then look at the face (after making sure to get some nice head scratches in first), and then kinda freak out when he sees facial hair. As if humans just. shouldn't. have. it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Olli has gotten a little better with facial hair, but yeah, that's definitely a trigger. It's so funny, he will be all waggy and happy and then look at the face (after making sure to get some nice head scratches in first), and then kinda freak out when he sees facial hair. As if humans just. shouldn't. have. it.
Gypsy is fine with mustaches and Van Goghs but not a fan of full facial hair. Crazy

James

Out There
Instructor
I take it he doesn't watch Nhl playoff interviews. Or ZZ Top.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She is so adorable. I guess patience and working with her on confidence.
Have you found anyone in your area that does what CRCS does?
We also put Gypsy on Solliquine a few weeks ago and that seems to work as well.

@TheArchitect Its kind of good to be going through this with you. Lots to learn.

BTW, we've had someone come into the house to give us a quote on fixing some stucco with no issue, no snarling. We took her to the bike shop and she was not super cozy with everyone but she was pretty chill until @DoryBreaux walked in. She does not like full beards!!!

Ellen is in charge of finding the trainer. She's been working on it but no updates yet. I'm going to order some of the Solliquine soon.

I agree; it's nice to be learning this stuff at the same time as you and Phil.

Gypsy would hate me right now. I'm rocking a full COVID beard. It's much longer than how I normally keep it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Gypsy is fine with mustaches and Van Goghs but not a fan of full facial hair. Crazy
She didn't seem too bothered by Patrick's. Maybe not super friendly, but no defensive posturing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ellen is in charge of finding the trainer. She's been working on it but no updates yet. I'm going to order some of the Solliquine soon.

I agree; it's nice to be learning this stuff at the same time as you and Phil.

Gypsy would hate me right now. I'm rocking a full COVID beard. It's much longer than how I normally keep it.
Maybe Mia isn't a fan of facial hair :huh:

She didn't seem too bothered by Patrick's. Maybe not super friendly, but no defensive posturing.
But Patrick and Conor both have full beards that aren't super concealing,(closely trimmed) as in, you can make out their facial features. I wonder if that's the difference?
Dammit, where is that dog translator tool @bbinder promised???

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

But Patrick and Conor both have full beards that aren't super concealing,(closely trimmed) as in, you can make out their facial features. I wonder if that's the difference?

Yeah, I've been wondering that. Growing it out is more of an experiment to see how it looks but I'm getting closer to the point where I will trim it back significantly. It will be interesting to see how Mia reacts.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Any dog you don't raise from a puppy will have some issues you don't understand. Kind of like people. You just have to roll with it and deal with what you do know.
Our little guy Max adopted us when he was about 9 years old. (We were told he was about 4) He had been through at least 4 homes and in shelters at least 3 times. He has angst's, but what a little lover.
If there are fear and tension issues look into Valerian Root,our go to doggie downers. You can get them at nutrient/supplement stores works great no long lasting effects. Our hound Daisy gets them for thunderstorms and fireworks (another pound hound) Max when he starts getting too fearful. Put some on his food and it will mellow him out without messing with balance and functions.
Give it time, some problems will work themselves out, and some you all just deal with.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I’m working on an iPhone app. It’s tougher than I thought it would be.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If there are fear and tension issues look into Valerian Root,our go to doggie downers. You can get them at nutrient/supplement stores works great no long lasting effects.
Gypsy has been getting Solliquine for a few weeks, 1/2 tablet morning and night.
It, along with the training (training us not her) seems to be doing the trick.

Another example of what I'm trying to do:
Because she follows me around constantly, like...if I were to go up stairs and down stairs over and over, she is right on my heels almost like she's paranoid to let me out of her sight.
This morning we were having coffee on the patio, but I had to go back inside to get my reading glasses. She follwed me, so I turned around and told her to go back out with dad. She looked puzzled, so I reinforced it. She went back outside reluctantly, but Phil rewarded her and she was fine.
She needs this to help her be okay if I'm not around.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for some advice from some dog people...especially if you have experience with rescue/shelter dogs. We got Rendl Monday of last week, he seems to be settling in well...he's no longer scared of the bear, is pretty good on a leash, super friendly, and starting to really recognize his (new) name. The rescue we got him from told us about the 3-3-3 rule for rescue dogs (First 3 days, the dog will be pretty uncomfortable and getting used to his surroundings. After 3 weeks, he'll start to really show his personality. And after 3 months, he'll be settled in).

Now for the question...we have a second home...and I'm not sure when the proper time is to bring him there. I don't want to overwhelm him with another new home. But my husband and I would like to head up for a weekend in the near future...just curious on how soon is too soon. Thoughts?

245DD7CA-AC69-4495-9669-3FF2ED4A111B.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking for some advice from some dog people...especially if you have experience with rescue/shelter dogs. We got Rendl Monday of last week, he seems to be settling in well...he's no longer scared of the bear, is pretty good on a leash, super friendly, and starting to really recognize his (new) name. The rescue we got him from told us about the 3-3-3 rule for rescue dogs (First 3 days, the dog will be pretty uncomfortable and getting used to his surroundings. After 3 weeks, he'll start to really show his personality. And after 3 months, he'll be settled in).

Now for the question...we have a second home...and I'm not sure when the proper time is to bring him there. I don't want to overwhelm him with another new home. But my husband and I would like to head up for a weekend in the near future...just curious on how soon is too soon. Thoughts?

View attachment 105417
I don't have experience with that but I'd guess that he'll be okay as long as you're with him and he finds familiar smells. Congrats on your new family member.
Just guessing. :cattledog:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have experience with that but I'd guess that he'll be okay as long as you're with him and he finds familiar smells. Congrats on your new family member.
Just guessing. :cattledog:

Thanks. That’s kind of what we were thinking...we’ll make sure we bring his bed, blanket and some toys for familiarity. You’ve guessed right, he’s part Australian Cattle Dog, and part terrier...exhibits some classic traits of both of them.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mia is my first dog so I'm not much help with your question @elemmac Good luck and congrats on Rendl!! I would say that the 3-3-3 rule is pretty accurate in my limited experience.

Sponsor