• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice about a new dog

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, she's warming up to you and settling in?

Yes she is. She's more willing to interact with each passing week. We've got a while to go but we're happy with the progress. How's Gypsy doing?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yes she is. She's more willing to interact with each passing week. We've got a while to go but we're happy with the progress. How's Gypsy doing?

Most importantly, how are her BMs ? ;-)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Gypsy's or Mia's?

Well, originally IIRC there was concern about Gypsy's ...

Full disclosure: I'm not all that interested in anyone's BMs, human or canine ;-)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Gypsy is really attached to me, (more so than Phil) is our biggest challenge.
She is crazy good in many aspects but we need her to be less possessive of me.

That being said, We love her and she loves us.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She is crazy good in many aspects but we need her to be less possessive of me.

That being said, We love her and she loves us.

We're having a similar issue. Mia is really attached to my wife Ellen and will howl when she's out of sight and can't follow her. Doesn't matter if either Olivia (my daughter) or I'm with Mia. No Ellen = howling.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Please post any recommendations the trainer makes about this. I've wondered if this is a nature or nurture issue and if there is a way to change it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most importantly, how are her BMs ? ;-)
Within about 3 or 4 days she started eating normally and had normal/regular BMs. After dealing with Ziggy's pancreatitis for nearly 2 years, BMs are something we watch carefully

We're having a similar issue. Mia is really attached to my wife Ellen and will howl when she's out of sight and can't follow her. Doesn't matter if either Olivia (my daughter) or I'm with Mia. No Ellen = howling.
According to Phil, Gypsy whined and was anxious when I went grocery shopping a few days ago. When Phil leaves the house she barely knows he's gone.
She also can get snarly with other dogs if they get between me and her. Those are things we'd like to change because we don't want her to have that kind of anxiety.

Please post any recommendations the trainer makes about this. I've wondered if this is a nature or nurture issue and if there is a way to change it.
Will do. As noted above, we really don't want her to have that kind of anxiety.

Also a note about dinner with Minks last night. For the first time she was more relaxed when Tule and Pepper came to me for attention. Even though she came closer to me and begged for attention, she didn't get snarly.
Progress.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
According to Phil, Gypsy whined and was anxious when I went grocery shopping a few days ago. When Phil leaves the house she barely knows he's gone.
She also can get snarly with other dogs if they get between me and her. Those are things we'd like to change because we don't want her to have that kind of anxiety.

Exactly what's going on here, except for the snarling. She seems comfortable with other dogs regardless of who's walking her.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Exactly what's going on here, except for the snarling. She seems comfortable with other dogs regardless of who's walking her.
Crazy thing is, Gypsy is fine with other dogs on the walks, no snarling. She's been snarly at @Andy Mink's dogs specifically. I am actually wondering if she feels the love I have for them and is/was unsure of their place in my life. :huh:
I wish I could read her mind.
The good news is, she's been getting better the longer she's here.
*This is the risk you take when you get a rescue and aren't sure you got accurate information on the pup.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy thing is, Gypsy is fine with other dogs on the walks, no snarling. She's been snarly at @Andy Mink's dogs specifically. I am actually wondering if she feels the love I have for them and is/was unsure of their place in my life. :huh:
I wish I could read her mind.
The good news is, she's been getting better the longer she's here.

Are you and Phil splitting up the Gypsy related chores? I'm wondering if she's seeing you as the momma or if she just has a natural affection for you. We're trying to balance Mia's chores but Ellen does more and that's part of the issue I think.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you and Phil splitting up the Gypsy related chores? I'm wondering if she's seeing you as the momma or if she just has a natural affection for you. We're trying to balance Mia's chores but Ellen does more and that's part of the issue I think.
Sometimes dogs bond more with one person or another based on random things such as ... who actually puts the leash on before the walk, who feeds or fills the water bowl, who greets them first when returning home after being out. Try switching those kind of things up and it may break some of those patterns,

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Unrelated: Lucky Loki! My partner bought several massive mahi filets from a restaurant supplier last year. They turned out to be unpleasantly fishy. They're just taking up space in the freezer; we don't want to eat them, but can't stand food waste. So my partner finally hit on the idea of feeding them to Loki. Partner cubed them up and baked them. The house smells gross, but Loki approves!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes dogs bond more with one person or another based on random things such as ... who actually puts the leash on before the walk, who feeds or fills the water bowl, who greets them first when returning home after being out. Try switching those kind of things up and it may break some of those patterns,

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think part of it may just be personality? Dog and human. Cooper bonded with Eric even though I was his caretaker, took him hiking, took him to agility classes, etc etc. Loki bonded with me even though we had exactly the same dynamic (Eric was the "fun dad" while I was the caretaker).

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think part of it may just be personality? Dog and human. Cooper bonded with Eric even though I was his caretaker, took him hiking, took him to agility classes, etc etc. Loki bonded with me even though we had exactly the same dynamic (Eric was the "fun dad" while I was the caretaker).
Exactly. There were 2 of you and 2 dogs - define caretaker roles and you have your answer. Sometimes, in a dog's world it's not who says, " who wants to go for a walk?" ... it's who actually attaches the leash. What your described as "caretaker" in most dogs' worlds is the "fun" one. In our house, Sadie is about hunting - hence off leash hiking, but Hawkins is about snuggles - hence who rubs him the most.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Minks were here for dinner tonight and there was no issue. I think she was worried about the connection I had with these "other dogs" and is slowly realizing that this is her home. I am her people and its okay if they have fun and play with her in our home.

I really wish I had a better idea of where she came from and what she's thinking.

hashtag: doggievoodoo.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish that I knew what dogs are thinking. But after decades of trying I cannot fathom their thought process.All I can do is catalog an individual dogs response to situations. I do not even try to interpret the response, although it can be fun to try...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note:
I moved the posts about how the dogs were adjusting to new homes to the adoption thread, out of the dog pic thread.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January