• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a ski like a Salomon BBR 176

ThePhysicsProf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
About five years ago I found a great closeout deal on the original Salomon BBR and I bought it in size 186. And I love it. I realize that many "experts" were unimpressed, but this ski lets me ski almost everything almost everywhere. From groomers at reasonably high speeds (50+ mph) to powder, east (my home turf is Canaan Valley) or west (Breck and Vail), this ski has done almost everything.

It isn't great in trees (keep reading), but it has been the best all-around ski I've ever owned.

BUT...as I age up (I'm 63) I am slowing my skiing a bit and making a few more turns, and I would like a ski that was a bit better in the trees, and perhaps a bit lighter in weight. If I could find this ski in a 176 (which they did make) I would buy it on the spot (if it was reasonably priced). I think shorter would be better in the trees, and as I am a lightweight (5-10, 150 lbs.) it would still float in powder. And the shorter turn radius would work well.

BUT...none are to be found. I have been looking for quite a while and cannot find a new pair.

So...my question is, what would be a reasonable facsimile or close approximation of a Salomon BBR in 176 in a current ski? I don't believe that any ski currently made has the same design characteristics, but can any of you recommend a ski that would have similar skiing characteristics?

Thanks in advance.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to Pugski! Good luck on your quest.

I don't have any BBR leads for you, but I think the Icelantic Shaman had a similar outline
Of course, they don't make that anymore either, but it's something else to search for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The BBR did get a bad rap, like so many other products that were "different" it was misunderstood and most of the nay sayers were trying to get it to do something it wasn't designed to do. I would sa the closest recent ski that ou will get what you are asking for would be a K2 Pinnacle 88 or 95

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The Icelantic Shaman is and was an awesome ski - big mountain slalom. I'd still be skiing mine (the very pair tested on exotic skis) if I han't finally blown an edge. Way superior to the BBR
If you can find a pair you won't be disappointed.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think we need a "Keep an eye out" forum. I've seen new BBRs in plastic for like $50 in the last year or so. That ski is out there. Somewhere.

TS
T

ThePhysicsProf

Skier
Thank you all for the suggestions - I now have some options. Although Francois, if you find a pair please let me know!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@mishka makes a MR102 that has similar taper to a BBR - but it's more of a West coast BBR because the tip is a lot slower to engage.

I didn't see any actual BBRs at the Baltimore swap today; I did see 2 pair at Alpine in Sterling. There's a swap in Leesburg on the 17th.

Where do you ski?

TS
T

ThePhysicsProf

Skier
Cantunamunch,
My home turf is Canaan Valley - either CVR or Timberline (I hope it gets bought, is resurrected, and comes back - the Timberline thread is what brought me here a few months ago!) or White Grass (for cross country/back country). I just love the valley - in both winter and in summer - and so does my wife, and my kids and grandkids, and I have a place out there, even though I live in SE Virginia.

But I also ski Wintergreen occasionally, and every couple years I get out west to Colorado for a week (Breck, Vail and ABasin - sometimes on the same trip!). I used to get to New Hampshire (Cannon) every couple years, but haven't been there in quite a while.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
@mishka makes a MR102 that has similar taper to a BBR - but it's more of a West coast BBR because the tip is a lot slower to engage.

I didn't see any actual BBRs at the Baltimore swap today; I did see 2 pair at Alpine in Sterling. There's a swap in Leesburg on the 17th.

Where do you ski?

if anything, MR95 and less in MR 87 would have some similarities in shape to BBR.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've see a few of the Stockli Y series skis pop up on ebay and other online sale outlets at ridiculously cheap prices. I never skied any of them so I'm not quite sure how they directly compare to the BBR.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If OP wouldn't mind a slightly more conventional ski design, the first generation of Dynastar Cham 87 had similar turn radius, more biddable flex, and notably lighter weight than the BBRs.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That price seems a little lofty for the condition.

It's SkiTrucks - top level prices for older gear is very much their thing. Next time you're in SLC, pop through their barns/warehouses. Amazing selection, all waiting for that one customer who has to have that one exact ski.

Sponsor

Staff online