• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a replacement for the beloved Elan 999

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Beefy ski? I owned these for years and if they're the ones with the translucent cherry wood finish, then they're absolute noodles (and I should know noodles :roflmao:). The M999 came from the early days when it was rare to find skis with rocker. Instead of using rocker to get the float, they used significant softness that easily bent with very little speed. They were fun in deep snow, but more aggressive rocker profiles have basically put this kind of ski to pasture. I moved on to the DPS Wailer 112RP. He could try that or maybe the Liberty Evolv 100.

Edit: just opened the posted pic and see that it wasn't the cherry wood version. Unsure of the flex pattern on that version that came after the original one.

Here's the model I have.. again they feel on the beefy side to me... for a wide ski. Not beefy like a Heli Dig meat cleaver but livelier than a bump ski. Maybe they got brittle with age or maybe the longer ones are a little beefier? Who knows.
https://www.evo.com/skis/elan-m999-powder-2007

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, @Doug Briggs has the Renouns. He was hoping you'd forget we're they were. He doesn't know how they compare to 999 s but thinks that they are a great all Mountain ski which handle the hard pack with aplomb.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
If they were these then they were about a medium stiffness. Not as stiff as my 1010's or Apex's but not necessarily a noodle either.

I just saw the picture of your 999's they were from 2010. No rocker, they should have had camber...at one time. ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If they were these then they were about a medium stiffness. Not as stiff as my 1010's or Apex's but not necessarily a noodle either.

I just saw the picture of your 999's they were from 2010. No rocker, they should have had camber...at one time. ogsmile
Yes, pre rocker and they STILL have camber. They are great skis, but the top sheet is starting to react to bumps and dings. It's time to put them to rest.

Sponsor

Staff online