• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a replacement for the beloved Elan 999

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob has been skiing these since 2010 and no other ski has satisfied. He has Blizzard Magnums and Volkl Kendo, but with the exception of really hard snow, frontside skiing days, he always grabbed the Elans. He took good care of them, but sadly the time has come to replace them.
240181_240181_1.jpeg He has these ones, just to clarify.

Does anyone have any suggestions for skis in the 100 range, that are similar in flavor? He likes to ski bumps and trees and skis pretty much every run at Mammoth - so he's self taught but 40 years competent. He plans to demo but would like a narrow list of options. He's not a patient demo guy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Armada Tracer 98 or 108
Kore 105
Liberty Evolv 100
Line Vision 98

That's a pretty short list but I've skied them all and liked them. All a bit different but should be in the ballpark of the 999. The Line may be a bit soft but it was a really fun ski, especially at the end of the day.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another option would be Renoun Citadels. Renoun is clearing out factory blems and test skis so you can get a heck of a deal on a fine ski. Not sure how the Citadels compare to the 999 but I skied them for 7 days at the gathering in bumps, trees, and groomers and never felt out of place.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been skiing the Spire (basically the same ski as the 999) for the last 5 or 6 years, and just replaced them this year with an Armada Tracer 98. I would call them "similar", but definitely not quite the same feel. Tracer has a little stiffer tail, and is a little better on groomers. They both are pretty nimble and easy in bumps and trees. I'd give the Elan a slight nod when the snow gets deep (I'm talking about "oops I brought the wrong pair of skis today", that kind of deep). And I'd say the Elan is a little more damp.

Some other skis that I've been on recently that I've enjoyed (so while maybe not exactly similar in flavor, there may be a similar appeal):
Head Kore 93 (never got a chance to try the 99 or 105)
Salomon QST 99
Rossignol Sky 7 HD
Rossignol Black Ops 98

The Line Vision 98 mentioned above is a really fun ski in soft snow and bumps, but can't touch the Elan in terms of stability and dampness.

Now, I do notice that he owns a Kendo and that's not a ski I'd buy for myself. So it's possible that while both appreciating the Elan, we don't actually have very much overlap in our preferences. Take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a pair of M999s that have been sitting in a closet for the past 5 years. Bought them as a used Demo off Evo awhile back, skied them on a killer powder day here several years ago but only that one time. Still plenty of camber. Beefy ski. If he's interested in a trade I'm open to trying something else. They're 192 cm.. the big uns!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've got a pair of M999s that have been sitting in a closet for the past 5 years. Bought them as a used Demo off Evo awhile back, skied them on a killer powder day here several years ago but only that one time. Still plenty of camber. Beefy ski. If he's interested in a trade I'm open to trying something else. They're 192 cm.. the big uns!

Beefy ski? I owned these for years and if they're the ones with the translucent cherry wood finish, then they're absolute noodles (and I should know noodles :roflmao:). The M999 came from the early days when it was rare to find skis with rocker. Instead of using rocker to get the float, they used significant softness that easily bent with very little speed. They were fun in deep snow, but more aggressive rocker profiles have basically put this kind of ski to pasture. I moved on to the DPS Wailer 112RP. He could try that or maybe the Liberty Evolv 100.

Edit: just opened the posted pic and see that it wasn't the cherry wood version. Unsure of the flex pattern on that version that came after the original one.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, I do notice that he owns a Kendo and that's not a ski I'd buy for myself. So it's possible that while both appreciating the Elan, we don't actually have very much overlap in our preferences. Take this with a grain of salt.
He has come to the conclusion that he doesn’t Like the Kendo. After he worked out the problems with a bad tune, he just plain doesn’t like the ski. Our son is going to try it out and if he doesn’t like it, we’ll sell it. So, thanks for the list!

Too long. He has also decided that high 170, low 180s is the sweet spot.

James

Out There
Instructor
The black version Ripstick 96 is still highly flexible. We just flexed it in the store on Sunday. @Tony S was looking at it.

If the person skis somewhat energetically, only the black version would likely suffice. And possibly not that. Of the 90 something skis we were looking at in the store, the black ripstick was by far the softest one.
Dynastar Legend 96, Blizzard Rustler 9, Rossi Experience 94, K2 Mindbender 98 (I think, could've been 90), Kastle MX 99 - yikes. There were more I think.
It could work or not. I wouldn't recommend the regular one, but everyone likes different stuff and I never skied the 999.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be awesome if Bob could check them out at Squaw next week. It’s pretty hard to find a demo of Renouns, I think. Probably the 178s would be right unless they ski short.

How is the Renoun Endurance?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Endurance 98 is in Colorado with @Ron

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
The black version Ripstick 96 is still highly flexible. We just flexed it in the store on Sunday. @Tony S was looking at it.

If the person skis somewhat energetically, only the black version would likely suffice. And possibly not that. Of the 90 something skis we were looking at in the store, the black ripstick was by far the softest one.
Dynastar Legend 96, Blizzard Rustler 9, Rossi Experience 94, K2 Mindbender 98 (I think, could've been 90), Kastle MX 99 - yikes. There were more I think.
It could work or not. I wouldn't recommend the regular one, but everyone likes different stuff and I never skied the 999.

The 999 was not a stiff ski. Someone who liked that ski, IMO, would not be interested in any of the 5 skis you listed there. Just a different ski, targeted at a different skier, in my opinion. I say this as someone who liked and skied the 999/Spire, and would not be interested in anything you listed above (I've skied two of them, and read about the others, enough to think I'm making an informed decision).

All that said, I've never been on the Ripstick of any variety, so I don't know what it's like. But I wouldn't discount it just because it hand-flexes soft, that's all.

Sponsor

Staff online