• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new R2G tire

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
TARGET: 37-40*mm supple casing durable tread.

MUST be at least as supple as a WTB Riddler. If the casing is stiffer than this, the bike develops horrible jiggle vibrations. As in not being able to cross a stretch of boardwalk going downhill without the bars jouncing out of your hands. Yes, I know I should probably get a bike that doesn't have this problem. That ain't happening this season, for a number of reasons.

This disqualifies any number of semi-hybrid tires, like the Giant Crosscut series.

WANT durable tread - more durable than WTB Riddler, WTB Resolute, IRC Boken. I am sick and tired of splashing out $100-$150 on tires every 400-450 miles.

What do I try next? Donnelly Xplor MSO? Panaracer Gravel King? Again, it *must* be supple or the bike will be unrideably unpleasant over daily terrain.

*Yes, I've tried 42s and it's not a good fit.
**Yes, I've spoken to locals, half say Donnelly the other half say Crosscut. I therefore have trouble believing at least half of them have understood the problem.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TARGET: 37-40*mm supple casing durable tread.

MUST be at least as supple as a WTB Riddler. If the casing is stiffer than this, the bike develops horrible jiggle vibrations. As in not being able to cross a stretch of boardwalk going downhill without the bars jouncing out of your hands. Yes, I know I should probably get a bike that doesn't have this problem. That ain't happening this season, for a number of reasons.

This disqualifies any number of semi-hybrid tires, like the Giant Crosscut series.

WANT durable tread - more durable than WTB Riddler, WTB Resolute, IRC Boken. I am sick and tired of splashing out $100-$150 on tires every 400-450 miles.

What do I try next? Donnelly Xplor MSO? Panaracer Gravel King? Again, it *must* be supple or the bike will be unrideably unpleasant over daily terrain.

*Yes, I've tried 42s and it's not a good fit.
**Yes, I've spoken to locals, half say Donnelly the other half say Crosscut. I therefore have trouble believing at least half of them have understood the problem.

Are you going to use tubes or tubeless?

Does it have to have knobs?

I use the Gravel King 700x38c and they are excellent. They are not a super supple tire though, about mid range in that regard. They are pretty durable though. They have no knobs (just texture) but they work great in typical gravel roads.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Are you going to use tubes or tubeless?

Both.

Does it have to have knobs?

No - but non-knobbies will make traversing the mud holes miserable, especially the rutted ones. Imagine 50- 80 yards of dry clay and chipped rock in between 4-10 yards of mud hole. Gah.

I use the Gravel King 700x38c and they are excellent. They are not a super supple tire though, about mid range in that regard. They are pretty durable though. They have no knobs (just texture) but they work great in typical gravel roads.

I have used Paselas before, I sort of lumped the GK in the Tourguard Pasela category, which is on the slightly stiff side of what I'm looking for. If that's not correct...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don't have anything to compare to on suppleness, but my Schwalbe gravel tires are getting close to 1000 miles now 50/50 road and dirt and the wear is pretty good. The rear looks worn compared to the front but I don't think the tread depth would measure different. These are the knobbiest ones they make, they also do a slick and an in-between version.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't have anything to compare to on suppleness, but my Schwalbe gravel tires are getting close to 1000 miles now 50/50 road and dirt and the wear is pretty good. The rear looks worn compared to the front but I don't think the tread depth would measure different. These are the knobbiest ones they make, they also do a slick and an in-between version.

That's the G-One? Edumacate me on the Raceguard vs. Vguard vs. Microskin?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yes, the G-One Bite. I don't know anything about the casings and it's the only gravel tire I've ridden. I pretty much only commented to give my feedback on tread life. I don't think I'm qualified to have an opinion other than that.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@cantunamunch - have you checked out the Vee Rubber Rail? I’ve been running them on/off for 2 years. The picture below is how the tread looks after ~650 miles. I’ve found they wear well, but very pressure sensitive. Not as supple as the Riddler though. I started with the Riddler, but damaged a sidewall so I installed the Rails.

20043305-DF71-4F5E-A70A-128F0BD6FCE2.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Both.

No - but non-knobbies will make traversing the mud holes miserable, especially the rutted ones. Imagine 50- 80 yards of dry clay and chipped rock in between 4-10 yards of mud hole. Gah.

I have used Paselas before, I sort of lumped the GK in the Tourguard Pasela category, which is on the slightly stiff side of what I'm looking for. If that's not correct...

I used the WTD riddler for many miles and they are quite supple. Even with tubes.

These are the tires im trying next after the GK's start to fade: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/vittoria-terreno-dry-g20-gravel-cyclocross-tire?fltr=&sg=500

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
LOL if I put those on I will have offeeshally spent more on tires than on the rest of the bike - including the swapped out cockpit, headset, rings, post, saddle and brake housings. *sigh*

Are you going to do the endurance or super light casing?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I've tried a couple different tires now and its really hard to beat the Gravelking file treads. You can also go with the Challenge Bianca Strada or the new Continental Terra Speed . I am running the gravelking file tread 35's which inflate to 38.6 on 23c rims and also Bontrager GR1 Team 35's which inflate to 37.90 on 23c's. I like both but the Bontrager is a fantastic tire that rolls reasonably on pavement as long as you dont expect it to be as fast as the file tread but it has amazing grip and is really fast rolling once off pavement. I was surprised that on back -to back rides on grade 1 &2 roads over 30 miles with about 8 of those pavement, the Bontrager GR1 was actually .2mph faster and certainly had more grip in some softer corners, On rides where its longer pavement, I will run the Gravelkings. BTw, I am running both sets of tires at 38

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Pasela. I think you'll tire of the tire(see what I did there) before you expire the tread. Two sidewall color options mean that one will have an additional layer of protection, and one will be more compliant. Talc the tube, talc the tire. Prices dip below $40 each(shipped) through Amazon and Ebay.
I have a lot of personal(historical) experience with the Pasela, and believe it to be the most reliable lightweight touring tire. My friend rode them(700x38) last summer on a very ambitious 4 day tour featuring daily 45 minute full-speed descents, fully loaded on steep forest service roads with no issues. His bike was clearly the fastest roller in the group. It's a 420g tire.

Sponsor

Staff online