• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new E mountain bike. What's with the different wheel sizes on the front/rear?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
My current Levo Pro has a mullet setup and I do prefer it to my previous bikes which were normal. It takes tight corners with more confidence and it is a bit more playful (for an almost 50lb bike). If the bike didn't have a motor I'd go with 29" wheels just because they're faster and easier through rocky terrain.

I also wouldn't pick an e-bike just because it had or didn't have a mullet setup.

Make sure what ever brand you choose has a good warranty and the shop has a clue about working on them. I'm not gonna lie, these things do occasionally just stop working.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, I’m not spending $10k but Liv has lots of other options.

My current Levo Pro has a mullet setup and I do prefer it to my previous bikes which were normal. It takes tight corners with more confidence and it is a bit more playful (for an almost 50lb bike). If the bike didn't have a motor I'd go with 29" wheels just because they're faster and easier through rocky terrain.

I also wouldn't pick an e-bike just because it had or didn't have a mullet setup.

Make sure what ever brand you choose has a good warranty and the shop has a clue about working on them. I'm not gonna lie, these things do occasionally just stop working.

Good point. If I buy the Liv, it will be from the LBS that I’ve bought 3 other bikes from and is very well regarded in the area. Heading up to Boulder to visit them tomorrow. Monday starts a $450 credit from the state of Colorado for e-bike purchases so even if they have what I want, I’ll just do a deposit and complete the purchase next week to get the credit.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I’m not spending $10k but Liv has lots of other options.

Good point. If I buy the Liv, it will be from the LBS that I’ve bought 3 other bikes from and is very well regarded in the area. Heading up to Boulder to visit them tomorrow. Monday starts a $450 credit from the state of Colorado for e-bike purchases so I even if they have what I want, I’ll just do a deposit and complete the purchase next week to get the credit.
@Wending pounced on that here in Maine. I was too slow out of the blocks. Good deal. Go for it

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have pretty limited e-mtb experience, but the Trek Fuel EX-e I rode for a couple months last season on a bit of a lark was superb. Superb enough, in fact, that I quickly purchased the non-motorized version.

The TQ motor is astounding, if a wee bit shy of the battery size I'd prefer (isn't there always something?!).

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
It’s tough to beat Specialized. They developed their own battery and motor. It integrates extremely well into the overall structure of the bike.

Virtually every other brand is using Bosch, none-native components. If your Specialized craps out, you deal only with Specialized through your shop. Frequently with other brands, you are dealing with some combination of the shop, the brand, and Bosch.

Our shop is the #1 e-bike store for Specialized in the Western states, so I am a bit biased.

Enjoy.

Sponsor