• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi,

I recently injured my knee (see my post https://www.pugski.com/forums/physical-fitness-rehabilitation-and-infirmary.39/create-thread)

I set myself two goals for next ski season:

1) Come into the season with stronger legs muscles than ever before
2) Get regular professional instruction at least 2-3 times during the season (for example, beginning, middle, end) to improve my skills and reduce my chance of falling.

I live in Switzerland, and it's actually harder than you might think to find good ski teachers. Most of the instructors at the popular resort areas subscribe to the "Follow me and do what I do," school of thought. As a very experienced ski guide I spoke to said, "To give you appropriate feedback, a teacher actually need to watch you."

So I am looking for references for good ski instructors in Europe, people who can watch me, and give me specific feedback on clear, actionable things that I can address.

I have two leads so far, both in Chamonix, France, a place that I have visited many times to climb and ski.

All Mountain Performance
http://allmountainperformance.com/about-amp/

Rachel Kerr
https://www.rachelkerr.net/

Any other ideas?

I live in Switzerland, and can travel to France, Italy, or Austria to meet a good teacher.

OK, thanks, and all the best,

Bruno

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Bruno,
Would get in touch with my old friend Klaus, he is an awesome individual and instructor of the highest caliber.
http://www.sofaskischool.com/home/
Reach out to him, he is very easy to chat with. In Austria, he this season was in Silvretta-Montafon. In summer, usually at Treble Cone.
Good luck.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Most Brit instructors working in France would fit the bill - take your pick from BASS, New Generation, The Development Centre, Marmalade etc. The reason they can charge a premium is because they offer something different from "follow me" ski school.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Switzerland

View these two instructional videos produced by Projected Productions:

Project Hintertux
The Zillertal Project

Then, check out Nadine Grunenfelder (Project Hintertux), Jon Ahlsén, and Alex Taugwalder (both in Zillertal). Who connects with you most?

And, if you do end up choosing one, and are able to set it up, I want to share one of those lessons with you!

The videos can be purchased at Vimeo OnDemand.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Neil 'Woody' Woodward at Val d'Isere....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.143558062338130.25991.143524485674821&type=3

“Woody was one of the very first British instructors to work legally in France. Part of the furniture in Val d'Isere.”

He's a lovely British gent ( and doesn't drink... but don't hold tha against him) and an excellent modern style instructor and as you can guess from the above knows the area and all the off piste routes as well as anyone.

James

Out There
Instructor
View these two instructional videos produced by Projected Productions:

Project Hintertux
The Zillertal Project

Then, check out Nadine Grunenfelder (Project Hintertux), Jon Ahlsén, and Alex Taugwalder (both in Zillertal). Who connects with you most?

And, if you do end up choosing one, and are able to set it up, I want to share one of those lessons with you!

The videos can be purchased at Vimeo OnDemand.
Pretty sure one of those guys involved in those videos was in charge of training at one of the ski schools in Verbier.

TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for all the great tips--I will watch some videos, make some plans, and take some lessons next season. I'll report about my experience.

Bruno

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Pretty sure one of those guys involved in those videos was in charge of training at one of the ski schools in Verbier.
Late to the game here, but... Yes, that is Jon Ahlsen, he is with New Generation at Verbier. A couple of instructors I trained with at New Generation are Alessandro Cambon (Villars) and Rob Wilhelmsson (Verbier). They definitely won't just have you follow (unless it's a powder day, then it's all fun).

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd recommend John Arnold, of BASS in Morzine in the Portes du soleil.
Very very experienced, a great fellow, Highly respected in the Basi, and a good lad too.

skiguy1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've skied with 2 different instructors from Freedom Snowsports. Federico at their ski school in Chamonix, and Ollie in Les Contamines. Both were exceptional instructors, Ollie is a highly regarded British Instructor and Fede is an Italian instructor speaking fluent english. The quality of both their teaching was absolutely first class. Helping me to progress from the piste to linking turns off piste. I think their ski schools are in a few resorts around the french alps.