• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a forgiving, mid-radius carving ski

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi all. I've been looking for a dedicated carver so I can work on my turns, with a focus on technique (higher edging angle, better balance, etc). I currently ski a OSQ: Dynastar Powertrack 89 (2015/2016) in 179cm. I've been looking for a good deal on demos for the current generation Head i.Superhapes (particularly Rally and Titan in 170cm), but I haven't been lucky so far. Those were highly recommended by @Philpug and @Lorenzzo for me (they both skied with me recently). I think the idea is that these skis will reward a good technical turn, and hold an edge, etc. But all of that without being as demanding as a FIS ski. Also, they will be better as groomers gets bumped up.

In a nutshell, I am looking for skis that would be comparable to the Superhapes, so my chances of finding an older model or demo on sale are higher.

The Specs:

Skier: 6'1", 180lbs, intermediate, about 60-70 skied days over the past three seasons.
Terrain: comfy in most blue groomers, skis most anything that isn't double black, though rather defensive sometimes on steeps; a bit hesitant but happy in soft bumps.
Desired Ski: a technical carver with some forgiveness on it, quick edge to edge, good at holding an edge but willing to negotiate some steering when/as needed.

Thanks so much for any ideas for short list of potential skis that I can work with. And yes, I read @ScotsSkier 's excellent article on the subject. Somehow I fall in-between. I am looking for mid-radius turns, somewhere between SL and GS.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Check out the Volkl RTM 84. I'm in your ability range and I love mine for all the criteria you describe.

Phil can help here, but I think you don't want to go further back than 2016 if you look for used models, because that's when Volkl did an awesome revamp on the RTM.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was giving a pair of the Rosi E83 two years ago, 168cm. Last year I had tons of fun on them working on slalom turn technique. 5'11", 210lbs. I have also used by son's Elans 165cm 65underfoot slalom skis too for fun.

Luckily we have a really good racing shop in Madison, WI, which sells lots of used and new racing skis.

P.S.
I'm looking for Head Titans too. At least to try.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You need a ski that bends at a mulitude of speeds, so many of these narrower skis require speed to get going. I like the Head Supershapes for you but honestly, I like the previous generation slight bit better (since you are looking for the ability to steer), the ski can be worked easily yet did everything you are asking of it. I also like the Stöckli AX and SC as other options.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The RTM has been revamped even more for the 2018s. I'm in this range too and plan to get the 2018 model. I demoed the 2017 model in Lake Louise and I believe the phrase Holy Sh!t these skis are amazing" kept going through my head. I love my Stockli Laser AX as well. I have a friend that has an older model RTM 84 (circa 2014) and loves it over the revamped 2016 model. She is however, now interested in the 2018 given it's modifications.

Last edited:
TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
(since you are looking for the ability to steer).

And let me please elaborate a bit on that. The reason i want some ability to steer (some front side all-mountain chops) is an honest admission of my current level, I feel like a demanding ski could put me in trouble where I lock into a turn, I can't release and I get in trouble/injury (I like a little speed).

Having said that, this would not be my daily driver, and I would definitely not take it to steeps, at least initially. I would start with greens or easy blues and really focus on balance, etc - or use it as I take instruction. So, perhaps I am overthinking the steering bit?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What length supershape are you looking for, Men?

(The 17-18 rtm 84 is a very nice ski, but won't be cheaper than a new Rally. If you're cash strapped, there are plenty of 16-17 Rossi E-84's out there... also a nice ski that IHMO is very underrated. )

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So the Rossi E84 isn't just a softened, intermediate version of their E98? Interesting...I'll have to add that to my list of potential frontside skis.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No. The first version was a much lesser ski. The 16-17-18's share the same construction as the E88. These aren't supershapes or X9's or Pursuits, etc... They aren't quite as connected to the snow as the newest RTM 84, but last season's e84 are still very available and a 'steal/deal exactly because of the lack luster performance of the first version. The early E88 was also kind of a turd for that matter.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Well, it's not the most stable model they make. There's the E98 (very nice and stable), the E88 (stable and even a bit 'dead'-ishly damp) and than there's the 84, which is really an intermediate ski, compared to the wider ones. My opinion, of course.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I am focusing on the 170cm atm (a couple experts suggested that I stay away from the highest length, 177)

Ahhh.. I know of a couple of pairs of last season's Titans, but not in a 170. Bummer.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, it's not the most stable model they make. There's the E98 (very nice and stable), the E88 (stable and even a bit 'dead'-ishly damp) and than there's the 84, which is really an intermediate ski, compared to the wider ones. My opinion, of course.

I guess I'm an intermediate then. ogsmile

If you haven't skied the 84 since the e98 years, it's a different ski now. Anyhow...

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I skied it last march, the 2018 version. Better that the old one (full sidewall, for one), but still...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@SallyCat I agree. I skied the Head Super Shape Titan in a 170 in Sunshine Village and it skied just fine in that length to me. If I bought the ski for myself I'd buy the 170 which is my comfort length nowadays and I'm 5'6". That's just my opinion and I defer to the experts.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Something of note is that I already have a decent carver (I believe) in 89mm, the Dynastar PT (which I love). So, for dedicated technical turn practice I am hoping for something 70-80mm, roughly speaking. So, some of the mid 80's , though they might be terrific front side all mountain skis, they are probably not what I'm looking for ...

Sponsor