• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a destination to ski for the last week of March

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Gang,

I just did Snowbird with my son and we LOVED it. Now, I'm looking for a destination for just me as he can't miss school. I'm an advanced skier and I like a lot of terrain variety (open glades, steeps, bumps, bowls, chutes but not cliffs). I'm NOT looking for resorts that pride themselves on manicured slopes. I've been to JH & now Snowbird but no other western mountains. Ease of travel is a BIG consideration as is the ability to easily get back and forth to the mountain. If it's on the list for Ikon or Epic, that's a bonus as I'm thinking about buying a pass. Looking for somewhere with great snowpack, challenging terrain and the chance for late March snow.

Thanks!

Bill

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Simple. Go back to Snowbird.
Perfect north facing terrain that you know you love with the bonus of almost the best chance of powder for that time frame.
I was lucky enough to get a 10 inch powder day (my first real powder day ever) at Alta on about March 30 a few years ago. Great memories even though I couldn't ski it properly.ogsmile

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's on the list for Ikon or Epic, that's a bonus as I'm thinking about buying a pass.

Epic passes bought now can't be used this season. And Ikon is limited to a few places starting in April 8th. So a pass purchase now won't help you.

Based on ease of travel and terrain, you're probably looking at places near Denver or SLC, or maybe Reno.... so you've got :

SLC : Snowbird and Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbasin
Denver : Winter Park, Breck, A-Basin, Loveland
Reno : Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood, maybe Heavenly

Others may help narrow that down or add ones I've forgotten.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s been a pretty good year down here in the 4 Corners region. Telluride, Crested Butte and Taos are classics and have tons of challenging terrain. Crested Butte or telluride are really cool if you want the Colorado mountain town experience, something you don’t really get in Utah. You could even do a south west tour and tie in Silverton for the big win.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s been a pretty good year down here in the 4 Corners region. Telluride, Crested Butte and Taos are classics and have tons of challenging terrain. Crested Butte or telluride are really cool if you want the Colorado mountain town experience, something you don’t really get in Utah. You could do a full tour and tie in Silverton with the previously mentioned mountains for the big epic trip.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Gang,

I just did Snowbird with my son and we LOVED it. Now, I'm looking for a destination for just me as he can't miss school. I'm an advanced skier and I like a lot of terrain variety (open glades, steeps, bumps, bowls, chutes but not cliffs). I'm NOT looking for resorts that pride themselves on manicured slopes. I've been to JH & now Snowbird but no other western mountains. Ease of travel is a BIG consideration as is the ability to easily get back and forth to the mountain. If it's on the list for Ikon or Epic, that's a bonus as I'm thinking about buying a pass. Looking for somewhere with great snowpack, challenging terrain and the chance for late March snow.

Thanks!

Bill

Telluride. you will love it.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another vote for Taos or Telluride. - Taos no Mt Town just great Steep skiing, Town is 25min down in Valley.
Telluride Great Town $$$ and Great Steeps

Taos we stayed at Columbine inn room includes B'fast, Another inn: Austig Haus is next door w/Breakfast and serves dinner both 1 mile from the Mt.
You can go front row and stay at condos/hotels 'on the Mt at Taos' walk out to lifts.

Telluride we stayed at VRBO condo right across from Lift 1 (coonskin) could walk indoors to a "Clarks' market. Short Walk into town.

We skied Taos then drove to Telluride was about 6.hrs in good weather thru Ute Indian Reservation- beware: there is no Gas, houses, cell service thru the Res so be prepared we stopped in Durango (Michaels crepes for lunch) Cool town. We Flew out of Montrose. Stunning Drive to the Telluride and From Mt to Montrose. The Box Canyon is incredible.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
If you don't mind the flight great deals at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff this time of year and great snow at Sunshine, Norquay, Lake Louise and Revelstoke (90 minutes drive) so lots of options. We have 9 nights there over Spring Break for under $1000 in a 1 bedroom condo/suite with 3 queen beds for a family of 5

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you don't mind the flight great deals at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff this time of year and great snow at Sunshine, Norquay, Lake Louise and Revelstoke (90 minutes drive) so lots of options. We have 9 nights there over Spring Break for under $1000 in a 1 bedroom condo/suite with 3 queen beds for a family of 5

is that 1000$ Canadian? It Looks GREAT!!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
is that 1000$ Canadian? It Looks GREAT!!
Actual cost is $1152 Canadian for April 5-13. The price includes tax and the resort has its own private shuttle to Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay. They also offer a shuttle from Tunnel Mountain into downtown Banff but you can also walk it in 15 minutes.